BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 02:07:38 AM   #1
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Default Hellrot 1998 E36 Sedan ----> S54 content inside

Hey guys, I figure its as good a time as any to start this this thread for M3F. I've had one going for awhile on BFC and the discussion / information can be extremely useful to anyone going down this road. Anyway, this is a pretty indepth look at dropping an S54 into an E36. My 1998 Hellrot 328i sedan 5MT to be exact, but should apply to the OBD2 E36 chassis as a whole.

I came from owning 2 E46M's, 2 E36M's and 1 96 328Is before. I always ended up fixing all their issues and maint items then selling and regretting the decision immediately. This time, I dont see that happening, this is the most work I have put into a vehicle in a long time and I wont make that mistake again...I hope haha Heres the build and info. If you want to get right to the S54 stuff, skip to the second post.

In Feb this year I drove upto NY to purchase this 98 328I I had seen forsale for close to 3 months. It was $4500 OBO, had not been driven in a while, but came with some nice upgrades!

We settled on $3900 and for that price I got:

Hellrot on black 328I 5MT with 163K - great shape
-M3 Front bumper and rear valance
-UCC 8.5 lb fly wheel for M5 conversion 25mi total on install
-M5 oem clutch and pressure plate 25 mi total on install
-Ecu Shark Injector Tune
-M50 Manifold
-M3 Cams
-K&N intake
-Stromung SEC 3
-3:23 LSD
-Front and rear brakes new with slotted rotors plus spares
-Eibach springs
-Bilstein struts
-Koni rear adjustable shocks
-Euro glass headlights with Xenon and smoked tail lights
-H&R sway bars (not installed)
-steel braided brake lines(not installed)
-brand-new rear trailing arm bushings (poly)
-some random OEM parts - new suspension mounts and perches, clear fogs
-17x8.5 +40 Kosei K1 wheels with B.F.G - G Force tires

When I got it home I had a vibration when moving, speed sensitive, not load sensitive.Due to this I rebuilt the drive shaft. I installed a new Lemforber Guibo, OE CSB and then had the U joints checked at a local tranny shop...everything was good for use. The halves were marked pre separation to make sure I didn't get any additional weird vibrations. Bolted it back up, but the original problem persisted. Checking a bunch of stuff on and off jack stands, slow speeds, high, hot and cold... I found that since it had been basically sitting for 2 years the tires were flat spotted! I really heated them up with some spirited driving and a bit of a pressure increase and they smoothed out. After that issue was worked out, I looked over the car a little closer and found new plugs, coils, boots and pick top injectors in there too! While I was digging in there, I deleted the ACS with a Z3 Boot and relocated the AIT sensor in the intake boot. Lastly I cleaned, dried and reoiled the K&N. Car was running perfrect so it got a mini detail...

As I began driving the car more, I began to get an intermittent check engine light for P0173, Fuel trim bank 2 with a mildly rough idle. The car ran great though and because I alread solved it, I'll get to the solution. It was a VC grommet near the rear of the VC. It was finger tight allowing un-metered air to be pulled in. I found the problem using my home made smoke machine. You can see I documented the hunt and find here-->

VIDEO 1 - Initial sign of smoke at the rear of motor on exhaust side ---------------------------------
VIDEO 2 - Closer look -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
VIDEO 2 - VC plasstic cover off, found it coming from the coil area of CYL 6-------------------------
VIDEO 3 - Coil out found loose grommet------------------------------------------------------------
VIDEO 4 - Loose bolt out, exposed leak -----------------------------------------------------------
VIDEO 5 - explanation of the test -----------------------------------------------------------------
VIDEO 6 - CLoser look at smoke machine in operation -----------------------------------------------

After finding the leak, the car was CEL free and running perfect, so I gave it a full detail / clay bar etc...REALLY made the hellrot pop.

I drove the car for a bit again and then realized I needed to replace the passenger reclining seat gear. expensive for small plastic, but worth it.

Then it was on to the Sways. Installed the front GC bar with energy suspension urethane large bushings and custom plates. Also, OEM fuel filter.

Soon after E9X motor mounts, UUC Blue trans mounts, 3:91LSD, 95A Diff bushings and Rogue Octane SSK with weighted selector!! Also added new rear bump stops and rogue RSM's.

SO at this point the car was running so well I threw it in the air again for these! BMW subframe plates, Akg Aluminum SF bushings, AKG RTAB plates.I also reinforced and coated the front subframe.

After this I dropped the car and enjoyed every second of the new feel. The car is Crisp*** at this point, loved it.

soon after I wanted a little more kick... I grabbed ebay headers and spent a decent amount of time girding the flange to primaries for a perfectly smooth transition. Just as I was finishing I developed a weird shifting condition. Due to this I threw the car in the air. I was relieved to find that the issue was simply that the rogue selector rod bent some how. I replaced it with the OEM unit and figured while the car was in the air, I would toss in the headers ANDDDDDDDDD thats where it all went down hill.

The studs were so damn rusty that 14 or so of them snapped right the hell off F M L X1000. I spent days trying to extract them to the point that I pulled the motor...worked on an engine stand some more and finally gave up. It was impossible I got a total of 4 more out. The rest arent moving.

So now that I was stuck, i started looking into my option. replace M52? S52? Euro S50? S54 or LSX swap. I read alot. My ultimate decision after considering that I needed to be emissions complaint, was S54 swap!!!

This details in the next post. Give me some time to put that together!
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 02:09:03 AM   #2
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Hellrot 1998 E36 Sedan ----> S54 content inside

Reserved for start of S54

I heavily compressed the info above that took place from Feb to July. I have a ton more photos and details if anyone wants any more info or has questions.

You can also look here

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-documentation!

Or here for FULL step by step with discussion, trial and error.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...llrot-E36-328I

Reserved

So after settling on the S54 I found Kassel in York PA 2.8 hrs away. Called to inquire about ther swap harness, ended up with:

-05 SMG S54 101K - rebuilt vanos, guides, hub bolts, M5 bushings, CPV oring etc. Manual air box to be provided. It was a rollover, so it's dirty, few bruises, but all in all two thumbs up after discussion. Needs some love but I'll take care of that.

- walbro 255 with E36 drop in kit

-coolant pipe to accept e36 sensor

- swap harness for plug and play integration

-S54 DME w / tune they've developed on dyno.

- Few cool stickers haha

Total = $5200.00, Not terrible I'd say for what it all is.

You can see I loaded my truck up pretty good. On the drive I grabbed another engine stand and also a leveler. Didnt know it but the guy was a BMW dude and gave me a killer deal. $60 for stand and leveler. Once I got home. S54 went on the stand and I started tearing into it. Replacing every seal and gasket minus the head gasket. Transmission also got new detents. Had to grab the tools from ebay I heard its impossible without them!

The fuel pump is a walbro 255 fitted with a Techna adapter, not a bad piece. E36 fuel filter was kept on there and the S54 FPR adapted to it for 5 Bar operation. M5 clutch is also a good fit as well. Everything was done with new hardware to proper torque specs, loctite etc. I resued my E36 arms for mounting. The Z3m units are nice but not necessary. I also tac's the oil pump nut and then smoothed it out. Cheap reassurance. WPC coated rod bearing are in and a complete valve adjustment was done as well.

After all the seals and work, the trans was mated, and the whole thing set atop the reinforced front subframe

Next came the wiring. I had a bunch of trial and error that was documented as I went along in the other thread but what it basically amounted to was a Z3m Harness was used, I gutted all unnecessary items from the trans harness and custom extended the remainder to make it all clean! DME sits easily uncramped in the E36 standard location. The fuses were located where they are supposed to be on the E36 and everything is documented and quick disconnect! I didn't want anything looking like its iut of place or not supposed to be there. There's little custom brackets used all around.

Ater the wiring, I started the car and all was well. There were some hiccups, but it was easily worked out and ran great with oil only for a few minutes. At this point its just step by step buttoning up. auxiliary items, cooling, steering, drive belt etc...and and LTW wing haha

THe e30 expansion tank required two custom brackets to mount, no big deal. The exhuaust the same. 2 welded brackets and it sits perfect with autozone SS tips welded on to an OBX SS dual 2.5 in out muffler. All the welds were covered with ceramic and High temp RTV for protection. The vacuum lines were carefully formed to be functional but not in the way it's a mix of PEX and shark bite pvc tubing.
The air intake is an E46 M unit cut and trimmed. The air straighten is maintained as well as HFM location. If you look to the left of the expansion tank and right of the fuse box you'll see two fused wires for protect of DME and components added in 60A each.

The oil cooler is mounted to front bumper reinforcement with custom brackets, it sits right st the kidneys and allowed a modified center cent to still be use me to plumb air to telnet ALT!

The main idea behind this build was attention to detail.

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; Mon, Dec-05-2016 at 02:04:50 PM.
Jump to top PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 02:10:26 AM   #3
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Lastly this is current moving from the front of the car to the rear in no order of importance.

- M3 Front bumper
- Black kidneys
- European Glass head lights with Xenon lighting
- clear corners
- Derale oil cooler
- 10-aN braided steel oil lines
- Specter large air filter (dry)
- reinforced / coated front subframe
- E9X motor mounts
- Ground control sway bars
- Prothane Sway bar mounts
- New coolant temp rad gasket
- modified Alt vent duct and tube
- modified E46 HFM housing
- Kosei K1 Wheels
- Slotted rotors
- Bilstein shocks
- Eibach springs
- 05 S54 (SMG) rebuilt vanos, drilled disk, new WPC bearing, valve adjustment, tac'd oil pump all new seals and gaskets
- TWS 10-60
- New gates serp belt
- E36 PS pump W/ E46 brackets
- Rebuilt steering rack with M3 70K steering Giubo
- E30 expansion tank with custom bracket
- BMW BLUE coolant
- custom heater hoses
- custom vacuum lines
- S54 Z3M modified harness
- Modified S54 Trans harness - deleted SMG and rear O2 wiring
- Kassel Swap DME
- Z3M cluster
- M3 Trim
- UUC 8.5 flywheel, M5 clutch
- Rally road SS pivot ball with bmw retaining clip
- new bmw giubo
- E46 M FPR
- New header to sec1 gaskets
- E46 M3 Sec 1
- E46 M3 Sec 2 modified with OBX Dual 2.5 muffler and welded SS tips
- New CSB
- UUC Blue Iso street / Track Trans mounts
- New DS to LSD hardware
- 3:91 LSD
- M3 Subframe with reinforced sway bar tabs
- AKG Aluminum SF bushings
- BMW SF Reinforcement welded in
- AKG 95A Diff bushings
- Rogue RSM
- Koni adjustable shocks w new bump stops / hardware

- TBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; Mon, Dec-05-2016 at 05:30:45 PM.
Jump to top PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 04:14:36 AM   #4
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Really nice work! I've read you say that you're looking for a clean E46 M3 to keep hold of this time around, but what would you do with this swapped E36?

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/525) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 12:30:05 PM   #5
delvin
Water Champion

United States

This is a swanky swap you have going on man!

The attention to detail is nice to see and great move documenting everything for future use. Beautiful car!
Jump to top delvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 02:18:21 PM   #6
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Really nice work! I've read you say that you're looking for a clean E46 M3 to keep hold of this time around, but what would you do with this swapped E36?

T, yea I had an 02 Imola / black slick top 6mt I got in Memphis. All reinforced w AKG everything, pss10, GC plates, custom subframe trunk bar, afe intake, carbon trim uuc SSK, BMW MS 4:10 diff. Rebuilt drive train etc...I sold it like a fool. Guy flew up from ATL.

Once this is done, I say 99.9% I'm keeping it depending on finances etc... 100% of me wants silver gray on Imola 6mt. I've see a few. If I can get a good one I'll pick it and build it I honestly done know, we will seez

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvin View Post
This is a swanky swap you have going on man!

The attention to detail is nice to see and great move documenting everything for future use. Beautiful car!

Thanks man - I'm going to be adding more pics and details to the first two posts so anyone looking has a good resource. And as I go I'll update regularly.

Most recent as it sits.

Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 03:12:27 PM   #7
lcrain

United States

Awesome build, from a fellow s54 hellrot sedan guy. Pic is from this past weekend!

Any plans for track time?
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 05:35:26 PM   #8
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

So much for rarity HAHA just kidding needless to say, car looks great.

I want to say I'm going to take it north to my "local" track often, but I'm not sure ill have the time. I def want to get there a few times though. I still have a 1200mi break into go for the bearings.

Hows the swap feel? worth it?
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 05:47:43 PM   #9
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Great thread, I always love and respect the DIY that takes the time to do it right the first time and pay attention to the details.

What can I expect to pay for a similar swap like this?

I'm thinking about maybe a swap in a year or so but I can't decide between an LS3 or an S54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Are you feeling loose in the rear end currently?
Jump to top nholmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 06:08:42 PM   #10
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Great thread, I always love and respect the DIY that takes the time to do it right the first time and pay attention to the details.

What can I expect to pay for a similar swap like this?

I'm thinking about maybe a swap in a year or so but I can't decide between an LS3 or an S54.
Thanks man, and oh boy, price point. Well, already having the car, S54 stuff alone. I say just budget 10K. I'm not certain what I spent, but it has to be close to there and I used my trans and clutch! That was with trial and error too. Second time around, I could drastically reduce the cost. Prob close to 1500 off or so I'm betting and a lot of time.

I looked at lsx, great option but I need emission testability. The harness guys in NY couldn't even tell me if the car would scan. I imagine they're similar in price though. If I were to end up building an LSX, it'd be in a 91-95 E36.

I'm going to do a cost break down when I'm done, it's still going up