BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Aug-01-2016, 03:21:20 AM   #41
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Joe's E36 M3 Coupe Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
I love build threads like this. Everything looks perfect. Which brake lines are those?
Those are ECS Tuning lines. The quality looks good and the price was reasonable (about $100 for front & rears).
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-24-2016, 01:08:35 AM   #42
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Turned my attention to the forward end of the car. I purchased a new firewall/trans tunnel insulation piece some time ago thinking that I'd swap out the old broken down one. Turns out a whole lotta stuff has to come off to do this. One thing led to another and I stripped out the wiring harness, brake system (booster, brake master, ABS, etc.), and bunch of other stuff. Then I stripped out the brake & clutch pedals and clutch master. I took about 230 pictures as I moved through the work. Hopefully I did not miss anything.

The next thing to do is to pull off the old insulation and clean everything.
Then install the new insulation and figure a way to attach the tran tunnel insulation so it does not sag.

Driver's side floor. Pedals, clutch master, brake booster all gone.

A lot of wire and connecters on the wiring harness. Kind of scary to remove if you have not done it before (and I had not)

Engine bay looks more empty every time I see it. Some day there will be an awesome engine tucked in there.
Old Fri, Aug-26-2016, 01:03:03 AM   #43
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Got the firewall insulation stripped out then spent several hours degreasing and cleaning. Also pulled the ECU while I was in there. Had a few days off so I took advantage of the time.

Insulation gone. Dirty though. How do you get rid of that hideous washer bottle and still maintain a worker windshield cleaning system?

How so much crud gets in here is a mystery.

Clean and ready for new insulation. I could spend days cleaning but at some point you have to call it "good enough".
Old Sun, Sep-04-2016, 02:58:33 PM   #44
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

I'm not sure it was worth the effort, but the new firewall and trans tunnel insulation is in. I just have to add a couple of insulation support screws to the trans tunnel to ensure no future sag. I'd say the fit is just so-so. The insulation mounting holes on the tunnel part are not exactly precise.

Out with the old (gross looking)

In with the new
Old Sun, Oct-23-2016, 11:27:30 PM   #45
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Continuing to work through various issues. I had the diff in and ended up dropping it again to do some cleanup. Also ordered a new diff cover which should arrive tomorrow.

In the meantime a few parts arrived. A rebuilt ZHP steering rack from the Rack Doctor. Rich at the Rack Doctor was very helpful. I wanted to tighten the steering a bit but at quite as much as a Z3 rack. The ZHP rack seemed like a good choice. I'll know once I get the car back on the road. I kept my current rack so if I ever want to go back, I have it.

Also received intake & exhaust values, valve seals, ARP head bolts, coated rod bearings, and ARP rod bolts, plus a few misc. items from Achilles Motorsports. Minos was great to work with.

The valves will go in with Epic cams, springs & retainers. The bearings are more "while I'm in there".

I noticed a bit of scoring on some of the the cam lobes. I don't know how much is considered normal.

Got the head off. Generally everything looks OK, at least to my untrained eye.

Got the pan off as well. Will be getting a new pan baffle welded in.

Oil pump is out. I'm sending down to Achilles to have it rebuilt plus hardened against any nut or oil shaft issues.

That's about it for now. Now that I have the new steering rack, I'll start installing the frontend. Things have picked up a bit which is good. Shooting for June completion. Fingers crossed.
Old Mon, Oct-24-2016, 01:42:24 AM   #46
Evtron

In the garage:

United States

Very nice! I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the ZHP rack when bolted up.

Did Achilles give you a timeframe on the pump rebuild? I'm about to buy one of their rebuilt pumps but will consider sending mine if the turnaround is reasonable.

E36 M3 Sedan Journal
Jump to top Evtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-24-2016, 03:41:08 PM   #47
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
Very nice! I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the ZHP rack when bolted up.

Did Achilles give you a timeframe on the pump rebuild? I'm about to buy one of their rebuilt pumps but will consider sending mine if the turnaround is reasonable.
I didn't ask about turnaround time. Probably should have. Give Mino a call. Very friendly guy and, IMO, won't BS you. I wanted my pump back as I know the exact mileage on it and its condition. There is a serial number on the pump. Record it and send that info in with the pump.
Old Mon, Oct-24-2016, 04:42:55 PM   #48
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
I didn't ask about turnaround time. Probably should have. Give Mino a call. Very friendly guy and, IMO, won't BS you. I wanted my pump back as I know the exact mileage on it and its condition. There is a serial number on the pump. Record it and send that info in with the pump.
Mino is one of the most unprofessional business owners I have ever met. Luckily, no one seems to have issues with his parts.

Anyway, great work you're doing here. I'm at a similar stage with the engine bay for my S54 swap, but I'm also doing a color change. Love the extent of repairs (new insulation specifically).
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-24-2016, 05:42:22 PM   #49
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Mino is one of the most unprofessional business owners I have ever met. Luckily, no one seems to have issues with his parts.

Anyway, great work you're doing here. I'm at a similar stage with the engine bay for my S54 swap, but I'm also doing a color change. Love the extent of repairs (new insulation specifically).
Thanks. The old insulation was pretty bad. I thought about replacing with something else but decided to stay stock. I added a few additional support screws in the tunnel to prevent the dreaded sag.

Curious about your Achilles comment. I don't want to stir the pot, but if there is something I should know ... Please PM me if that is better.

I really wish I had more time to work on the car. Damn job is always getting in the way of my fun. The good part about the extended amount of time is that I don't seem to be noticing how much money I am spending which I am sure is a stupid amount.
Old Tue, Oct-25-2016, 12:20:04 AM   #50
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Package I've been waiting for just arrived. Nice piece. Comes with all the required bits & pieces: bolts, bushings, gasket.