BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Jul-09-2018, 08:07:43 PM   #141
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: Joe's E36 M3 Coupe Journal

Congrats Joe. This was a long one, well done seeing it through.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-09-2018, 11:27:13 PM   #142
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Great job, Joe. I have the Zionsville radiator and electric fan too. But, I was able to fit the Spal fan in front of that Turner nut on the water pump pulley. Maybe you have a thicker fan than me?

One of you pictures depicting the radiator test fit I think showed some room between the fan shroud and the driver's side end tank. One of my rivets broke and I just replaces with a small bolt and nut. Maybe you can remove the rivets and slide shroud over and re-drill the shroud reusing the rivet holes on the radiator?
Jump to top abcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 11:24:22 PM   #143
NotUrAvgM

United States

Really nice build!

Get rid of the Zionsville fan shroud. Thing is garbage. PO of my car had it installed. I removed it and immediately dropped 10 degrees water temp on track.

Gasket the fan directly to the rad. You may lose some cooling <10mph but the car will be happier any other time.

[2004 330xi/6] Orient/Natural :: 147k :: ZSP :: ZPP :: ZCW
[1998 M3/4/5] Cosmos/Black :: 126k ::TCKline D/A (500/600) :: GC plates :: RD Sways :: GC Rear Arms :: BW FCAB :: BW RTAB :: AKG Subframe :: 3.64 Diffsonline :: TMS Pulleys :: AA + Borla :: XBrace :: AS SSK :: ZHP Rack :: M50 :: DTC60 :: Direzza ZIII :: Safety Equipment

Past:
[1995 M3] Avus/Dove :: 242k :: S52 OBDI :: M50 manifold :: 3.5" HFM :: Turner Chip :: XBrace :: SS Lines :: Turner RTABS :: Vogtland CS :: Bilstein Sport
[1999 M3] Cosmos/Black :: 87k :: TCKline S/A (400/500) :: Turner plates :: UUC Front Sway :: PF RTABs :: AA Intake :: Borla :: XBrace :: TRM C2s :: CL RC6E :: Direzza ZII :: Safety Equipment
[1993 325is] Brilliant/Black :: 139k :: Bilstein sports :: Eibach sways and springs :: Dinan camber plates and chip :: Borla :: LSD
[1983 320i] Safari/Brownish :: 242k :: homebrew CAI :: some rust :: multicolor body panels
Jump to top NotUrAvgM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 11:49:03 PM   #144
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcurran View Post
Great job, Joe. I have the Zionsville radiator and electric fan too. But, I was able to fit the Spal fan in front of that Turner nut on the water pump pulley. Maybe you have a thicker fan than me?

One of you pictures depicting the radiator test fit I think showed some room between the fan shroud and the driver's side end tank. One of my rivets broke and I just replaces with a small bolt and nut. Maybe you can remove the rivets and slide shroud over and re-drill the shroud reusing the rivet holes on the radiator?
Thanks. I may just leave it as is. It could be a fatter radiator to make up for the larger oil cooler.
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 11:51:03 PM   #145
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrAvgM View Post
Really nice build!

Get rid of the Zionsville fan shroud. Thing is garbage. PO of my car had it installed. I removed it and immediately dropped 10 degrees water temp on track.

Gasket the fan directly to the rad. You may lose some cooling <10mph but the car will be happier any other time.
Thank you! I'm hesitant to modify the radiator after having long conversations with Dwight at Zionsville. I'll see how the cooling performs. Right now, with the low temp fan switch, it looks good
Old Sat, Jul-14-2018, 02:29:47 AM   #146
NotUrAvgM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
Thank you! I'm hesitant to modify the radiator after having long conversations with Dwight at Zionsville. I'll see how the cooling performs. Right now, with the low temp fan switch, it looks good
What temps are you seeing?

Air travels through the rad and less than an inch later hits a flat wall and has to turn 90*... Design has merit when at low speed by drawing all air through the core, but it needs something like bypass "flappers" when the incoming air exceeds a certain volume.

My car went from seeing a peak of 210 on track the first hot summer track day I did after buying it, to 200 after just removing that shroud. Now after removing AC condenser core I'm in the mid 190s.

[1998 M3/4/5] Cosmos/Black :: 126k ::TCKline D/A (500/600) :: GC plates :: RD Sways :: GC Rear Arms :: BW FCAB :: BW RTAB :: AKG Subframe :: 3.64 Diffsonline :: TMS Pulleys :: AA + Borla :: XBrace :: AS SSK :: ZHP Rack :: M50 :: DTC60 :: Direzza ZIII :: Safety Equipment

Past:
[1995 M3] Avus/Dove :: 242k :: S52 OBDI :: M50 manifold :: 3.5" HFM :: Turner Chip :: XBrace :: SS Lines :: Turner RTABS :: Vogtland CS :: Bilstein Sport
[1999 M3] Cosmos/Black :: 87k :: TCKline S/A (400/500) :: Turner plates :: UUC Front Sway :: PF RTABs :: AA Intake :: Borla :: XBrace :: TRM C2s :: CL RC6E :: Direzza ZII :: Safety Equipment
[1993 325is] Brilliant/Black :: 139k :: Bilstein sports :: Eibach sways and springs :: Dinan camber plates and chip :: Borla :: LSD
[1983 320i] Safari/Brownish :: 242k :: homebrew CAI :: some rust :: multicolor body panels
Old Sat, Jul-14-2018, 02:36:36 AM   #147
NotUrAvgM

United States

Actually after looking closer at yours, it doesn't seem quite the same as what was formerly on my car. Essentially mine was this one I think http://www.vinnymac-online.com/Pics/...radiator01.JPG.

In post #127 your shroud only covers part of the rad but also looks like it doesn't actually touch the core?? One aspect of that is good, one isnt lol.

Past:
Old Sun, Jul-15-2018, 06:11:13 PM   #148
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

I'll let you know once I have data. It is not quite to the drivable point. I have to get the suspension aligned & sorted, and break in the engine.
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 06:29:07 AM   #149
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrAvgM View Post
Actually after looking closer at yours, it doesn't seem quite the same as what was formerly on my car. Essentially mine was this one I think http://www.vinnymac-online.com/Pics/...radiator01.JPG.

In post #127 your shroud only covers part of the rad but also looks like it doesn't actually touch the core?? One aspect of that is good, one isnt lol.
Dwight's designs vary. Some have high speed flappers while others do not. He will make the shroud however you want... he'll make anything however you want.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 04:14:50 PM   #150
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Dwight's designs vary. Some have high speed flappers while others do not. He will make the shroud however you want... he'll make anything however you want.
Dwight has been great. He cut down his custom oil cooler so it would fit with the under panel installed. Good guy. Knows his stuff.