BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 01:19:33 PM   #5001
MuhammedAydogdu

In the garage:

Turkey

Default Re: Comprehensive MSS54/MSS54HP DME Information

This is my first coding/updating for dme. I am working on for 2 weeks. I downloaded latest SP DATEN files for e46. Every software is installed. After that updated my SMG II software via I am not sure about more responsive smg tranmission after updating the software. (I have flushed transmission and smg unit oil on last month). Hard to tell. But it could be. I tested my m3 on horizontally road. May be it differences in decline road. I don't know.
DME software updating was very confusing for me. There was a lot of numbers and i couldn't sure last sunday. Thanks to MartynT for very helpful information. I am sure now. I will update my dme this way. After that, i will code via ncs dummy It looks like very simple software to use. Thanks all bimmers for those informations on this forum and enjoy your "Ultimate Driving Machine"
Jump to top MuhammedAydogdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Mar-26-2017, 06:39:14 PM   #5002
E46dreamz

United States

Has anybody come up with a way to give the OEM fan 100% duty cycle when AC compressor request button?
Jump to top E46dreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-26-2017, 07:59:20 PM   #5003
mdrobnak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46dreamz View Post
Has anybody come up with a way to give the OEM fan 100% duty cycle when AC compressor request button?
If the table which looks up "stage" to duty cycle is set to 95% for all values > 1, that should do what you're looking for. But that is a tuning change, not a simple coding change.
I also assume you mean the aux fan for AC cooling...

-Matt
Jump to top mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-29-2017, 10:46:48 PM   #5004
philom5

United States

Hi, can someone give me a pointer on how to push the ECU into open loop ? I'm doing some baseline tuning with an external wideband and would like to get my engine to run without 02 correction.

I'm using TunerPro.., if that matters..

Appreciate the help.

Phil.
Jump to top philom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-30-2017, 03:05:57 PM   #5005
Olza
Code monkey

Belarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philom5 View Post
Hi, can someone give me a pointer on how to push the ECU into open loop ? I'm doing some baseline tuning with an external wideband and would like to get my engine to run without 02 correction.

I'm using TunerPro.., if that matters..

Appreciate the help.

Phil.
you can control adaptation factor and offset via K_LA_FREIGABE bits, or even disable controller at all.

you can control adaptations via temperature thresholds and RF values from table 0x314C (do not know what version project i have):
RPM - 1000, 3000, 4000, 6000,10000
RF - 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500
so adaptations will be disabled by default above that RF (1.5).

you can force lambda controller status to not ready via RF thresholds from table 0x311C:
RPM - 3000, 4000, 4500, 5000, 5600, 5800, 6400
RF - 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500
so lambda control will be disabled if RF is more than that RF (1.5).

can anyone tell me what RF is for idle and part - full load in S54, please?

interesting thing is that in S50 (father of S54 haha) that tables is:
1000, 3000, 4000, 6000,10000
and
1000, 4500, 5000, 5500, 6000, 7000, 7400
12700,12700, 5000, 4500, 4000, 3800, 3500

so adaptations ALWAYS on (at working enviroment conditions) and controller always on until 4500 rpm...
Jump to top Olza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-30-2017, 05:51:37 PM   #5006
philom5

United States

Hi, Thanks for the reply.. I'm not following your explanation so let me tell you what I've done so far and maybe you can comment on that. Appreciate the help.

Last night I found a post by SliM3

- Force DME into open loop (change value '255' to '153', see below for explanation:
Lambda_RELEASE
K_LA_FREIGABE
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...ps904fecb3.jpg (http://s45.photobucket.com/user/bmec...fecb3.jpg.html)

Lambda Controller & Adaptation Status bit breakdown:
Bit 0: free
Bit 1: Controller 1 enabled
Bit 2: Controller 2 enabled
Bit 3: free
Bit 4: free
Bit 5: Adaptation Factor enabled
Bit 6: Adaptation Offset enabled
Bit 7: free

Default value = 0xFF (decimal = 255)
Binary
Bit 1 = on (free)
Bit 1 = on (Controller 1 enabled)
Bit 1 = on (Controller 2 enabled)
Bit 1 = on (free)
Bit 1 = on (free)
Bit 1 = on (Adaptation Factor enabled)
Bit 1 = on (Adaptation Offset enabled)
Bit 1 = on (free)

Changed value = 0x99 (decimal = 153)
Binary
Bit 1 = on (free)
Bit 0 = off (Controller 1 disabled)
Bit 0 = off (Controller 2 disabled)
Bit 1 = on (free)
Bit 1 = on (free)
Bit 0 = off (Adaptation Factor disabled)
Bit 0 = off (Adaptation Offset disabled)
Bit 1 = on (free)

I found the table for K_LA_FREIGABE in TunerPro and changed the value to 153 as SliM3 recommends. I'll try the setting this weekend and see what happens.

I also wanted to adjust my AFR target but can't find the map for that one. I read that it's located at KF_TI_N_RF but can't find it in my tune. Maybe it was renamed so will keep looking. I did find a KF_TE_N_RF but it's not an 18x12 size table.

Edit - I just figured out that my InjDuration map is the KF_TI_N_RF map. So what's confusing is I've seen this map/table online from others that shows AFR target numbers rather than what my map shows, .98 for idle area.., 1.02s. for part throttle low load, and 1.22s for the higher load ranges, etc.. How do I convert my map to show AFR targets ?

Thanks for the help.

Phil.
________
88M5-S54

Last edited by philom5; Thu, Mar-30-2017 at 11:55:29 PM.
Jump to top philom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-30-2017, 11:07:22 PM   #5007
mbenvo
BMW Programming Expert

United States

I just recently acquired an E39 M5 with the Secondary Air Injection carbon buildup issue (Fault code AA).

I am trying to get the monitor to set ready but don't have a complete function sheet for this car as I mainly tune the MSS60 E9x M3/E6x M5 and all of the MEVD17 DME's on the new F series cars.

I have identified all of the secondary air functions as best as possible.

I have tried removing the code, but it will not trigger the monitor ready. I tried also modifying the fault code table so that when it throws the AA code, it sets it as a BMW specific code and not as a generic OBD code. This worked but also does not set the monitor to ready.

I have a few other tricks that I'm going to try that might do the trick, but figured I'd ask here first as there is a wealth of knowledge on this older platform I don't play with too much.

I have attached the SA functions I've defined in my project. Even if I could get SA to report not supported, that would be sufficient. p0lar suggested rev engineering the OBD comm protocols to show all ready. This would definitely work but I just can't invest that much time into this project.

I'm not sure which byte dictates the minimum flow required - but since this is a single band o2 car with no Mini HFM on the SA circuit, the only way the car knows if the pump is functioning and that the head passageways are not clogged is by seeing the leaner mixture at the 02 sensors when the pump is on - it just has to be lean enough to satisfy the test conditions in order to set ready and not pull the insufficient flow code.

Wondering if anyone can provide any assistance here - I would definitely return the favor.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E39_SA.JPG (108.4 KB, 46 views)
Old Thu, Mar-30-2017, 11:32:07 PM   #5008
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Hmm odd, on my M3 simply disabling the error codes was enough to get the readiness monitors to set. Which codes did you delete? IIRC on the M5 you'd need to disable 0xAA, 0xAB, 0x13, and 0x3F. And then don't mess with any of the voltages or whatnot that people do to turn off the SAP (instead just unplug or pull the fuse it if it's present - the car should think the SAP is attempting to run).

Otherwise I guess you can try setting K_SLS_D_USV1/2 to a high value (like 1000 mV or so). And maybe K_SLS_K_USV1/2 (they're ignored when the engine type is set to M3, so I'm not exactly sure what their use is).
Old Fri, Mar-31-2017, 12:09:55 AM   #5009
mbenvo
BMW Programming Expert

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Hmm odd, on my M3 simply disabling the error codes was enough to get the readiness monitors to set. Which codes did you delete? IIRC on the M5 you'd need to disable 0xAA, 0xAB, 0x13, and 0x3F. And then don't mess with any of the voltages or whatnot that people do to turn off the SAP (instead just unplug or pull the fuse it if it's present - the car should think the SAP is attempting to run).

Otherwise I guess you can try setting K_SLS_D_USV1/2 to a high value (like 1000 mV or so). And maybe K_SLS_K_USV1/2 (they're ignored when the engine type is set to M3, so I'm not exactly sure what their use is).
I deleted only AA, and left the pump and K_SLS_OBD on and voltages alone - and it doesn't throw codes but never actually sets SAI to ready.

I didn't delete the other faults - but in speaking with a friend, he mentioned that killing the pump completely allows the monitor to complete and then set readiness, and with all of the codes removed this might do the trick. I will try this next!

For now I'm having fun seeing if I can get it to pass with an airpump going into the PCV port into the intake to add the extra air for the leaner mixture - since I've already done two iterations of this and probably only need a third to set it.

Do you happen to know what K_SLS_D and K_SLS_K stand for, or any of the others? My function sheet for MSS60 has some of these defined but they have definitely changed it over the years. In fact, it's crazy how detailed SAI is on the MSS6x ECU - I'm talking like 100 pages on its function!

Thanks for the help!
Old Mon, Apr-03-2017, 03:20:48 PM   #5010
TheDECODER

United States

I am having problems with the readiness codes on my e46 going to ready. I do not see the option for forcing them.... anyone?
Jump to top TheDECODER is offline   Reply With Quote