BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 06:07:13 PM   #101
evolve_auto
BMW Tuning

United Kingdom

Default Re: Comprehensive MSS54/MSS54HP DME Information

p0lar - you would not succeed in finding this flash counter issue by bench flashing.

WEBSITE . EMAIL . INSTAGRAM . FACEBOOK
Jump to top evolve_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 06:24:30 PM   #102
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve_auto View Post
Ok, back to the ECU locking issue.

I DO NOT CHANGE THE EPROMS. YOU DON'T NEED TO.

I can probably put up a guide at some stage as I have some ECU's from USA here being unlocked due to too many flashes (maybe previously done too many times).

You do not need new EPROM's. You just read off the data and reset the flash counters. Flash it all back in again and you are ready to go for another 50+ flashes.

It should not cost anywhere near as $450. Next time I come to the US I will thoroughly train VS motors into doing it and then if anyone has an issue they can sort it out for a small fee.

If you as a community want to do this then just 4-5 people get together and buy a good soldering station and rear/write tool. You can unlock ECU's all day long and resetting the flash counter I can tell you how to do.
Not sure if this is Sal or Paul, but thanx for chiming in here! I thought that you originally said a few posts ago that you needed to solder in new EPROM's when the ECU was bricked??? If you don't need to solder in new EPROM's (from maxing the flash counter), then when/why would ever need to solder in new EPROM's, and how does one go about "resetting" the flash counter w/o the need to solder in new chips? Just looking for clarification here, maybe I'm misunderstanding something??? Damn, hope I didn't spend $400 for nothing!

Quote:
There are things you can do to get brilliant power and then slowly but surely the DME will reign in the power.
Could you say more about this please??? Thanx!
Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 06:28:46 PM   #103
cyberlando

In the garage:

United States

FOr the evolve team How many different programs do you guys use to do the whole process?

as far as reading the dme, editing the file, Recalculating the checksum correctly, and then flashing it back to the DME for testing?

Do you guys use winkfp at all to reflash the tunes you put together?

im not even sure of what software i should start looking into buying!

unless the whole evolve team are all computer software engineers and made there own programs for this task cuz that would just be lol
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Jump to top cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 06:31:31 PM   #104
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
FOr the evolve team How many different programs do you guys use to do the whole process?

as far as reading the dme, editing the file, Recalculating the checksum correctly, and then flashing it back to the DME for testing?

unless the whole evolve team are all computer software engineers and made there own programs for this task cuz that would just be lol
They definitely don't use WinKFP
Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 06:36:33 PM   #105
cyberlando

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
They definitely don't use WinKFP
well i figure that...mostly but they must use a program with the same functionality as it!

im trying to figure what it is..........if i had all the software they used given a few days or realisticly 3 weeks id yield some decent results!

and terra im sure you'd be way ahead of me, i started learning from you

but no software equals no starting point so...ill just wait till software names start popping up i guess!

ohhh and what cable do you use?? is it the same cable we use for progman and inpa?? or its a complete different set or cables?

there alot of missing pieces here for me at least.......
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 07:14:39 PM   #106
cntrvrsy

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post

I'm thinking it's the built it safety parameters but I'd like to hear for sure myself as well.

sig engineered by Fcukupayme
Jump to top cntrvrsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 08:02:34 PM   #107
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I have already have a standalone simple module to correct the checksum.
It's not terribly difficult, I've already made it work, I just have to make it work in all cases.

Quote:
One day, WHEN this actually starts moving I may allow a free download of it.
FTFY!

Quote:
Are you expecting everyone to buy WinOLS? It's not mega expensive or anything but it's way more than a DME.
No, WinOLS is actually not terribly friendly to most people, as it is also expensive - as you mentioned. I suspect that many people who only want one or two small variances in their DMEs are going to find that a 'canned tune' (<cringe>, I don't know what else to call it, seriously!) will suffice. People will ideally want to use Tuner Pro, and a small program outside Tuner Pro to correct the checksum, unless Tuner Pro incorporates such a routine into their software, which is probably simply the next revision away once submitted to them. This means the purchase of WinOLS will not be necessary.
Jump to top p0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 08:11:33 PM   #108
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post

I'm not singling anyone out here, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I feel it's unfair of us to ask Evolve for everything they've learned to date in a single thread. They've paid in R&D costs to develop and refine the software they have. If they're willing to contribute, let them do so at a pace they're comfortable with as there's some likelihood that this will cannibalize a portion of their revenue stream. Now, as mentioned before, the people willing to flash their DME were probably never customers that a tuner would target in the first place; however, that doesn't mean they're obligated to share everything they've paid to uncover. Fair is fair.

To be VERY honest, you could tune an entire DME file using a text editor if you're THAT good, the software (WinOLS, Tuner Pro, et al) just simplify the process so you don't need to manually calculate values across an entire table by hand.

Quote:
No. Or, it's unlikely - WinKFP isn't exactly a tuner-friendly way to flash. I can generate a WinKFP based file from a binary using a script, which you could then flash with your standard OBDII cable, but it's really not a great idea and there's lots that could go wrong. The Galletto 1260 is the lesser-priced tool being used, but that's already been mentioned in this thread at some point, I believe - and if not here, then in other threads in other forums. It's no secret and it's not proprietary.

Quote:
None, for the time being. Just wait!

Quote:
Some have, absolutely! Don't expect them to share them, as again, that's their livelihood!
Jump to top p0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2012, 08:57:55 PM   #109
cyberlando

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0lar View Post
I'm not singling anyone out here, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I feel it's unfair of us to ask Evolve for everything they've learned to date in a single thread. They've paid in R&D costs to develop and refine the software they have. If they're willing to contribute, let them do so at a pace they're comfortable with as there's some likelihood that this will cannibalize a portion of their revenue stream. Now, as mentioned before, the people willing to flash their DME were probably never customers that a tuner would target in the first place; however, that doesn't mean they're obligated to share everything they've paid to uncover. Fair is fair.

To be VERY honest, you could tune an entire DME file using a text editor if you're THAT good, the software (WinOLS, Tuner Pro, et al) just simplify the process so you don't need to manually calculate values across an entire table by hand.

No. Or, it's unlikely - WinKFP isn't exactly a tuner-friendly way to flash. I can generate a WinKFP based file from a binary using a script, which you could then flash with your standard OBDII cable, but it's really not a great idea and there's lots that could go wrong. The Galletto 1260 is the lesser-priced tool being used, but that's already been mentioned in this thread at some point, I believe - and if not here, then in other threads in other forums. It's no secret and it's not proprietary.

None, for the time being. Just wait!

Some have, absolutely! Don't expect them to share them, as again, that's their livelihood!
lol truee trueee that would just make life way too easy!!

but then again who wouldnt like the easy way out
Suspension/Handling:

Old Sun, Oct-28-2012, 01:00:46 AM   #110
evolve_auto
BMW Tuning

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Not sure if this is Sal or Paul, but thanx for chiming in here! I thought that you originally said a few posts ago that you needed to solder in new EPROM's when the ECU was bricked??? If you don't need to solder in new EPROM's (from maxing the flash counter), then when/why would ever need to solder in new EPROM's, and how does one go about "resetting" the flash counter w/o the need to solder in new chips? Just looking for clarification here, maybe I'm misunderstanding something??? Damn, hope I didn't spend $400 for nothing!

Sal here Paul does some other work in the company now.

You have to desolder because you cannot alter the flash counter without doing so. You cannot flash to that part of the DME through the OBDII or bench. The DME will not allow it. There has been no routine or over ride developed as of yet.

So, it because you cannot flash to these areas you need to remove the chips and therefore 'correct' the flash counter.

It's quite simple and very easy to do.

I will tell you how to do it at some point.

There will be a detailed step by step guide to avoid any repeat removing of the chips. This is from experience of doing it and this will be invaluable to you guys. Been there, made the mistakes and ended up de soldering yet again.

You will all also need something like INPA and some more advanced tools to monitor knock sensors, knock adaption, vanos adaption and a few other key variables. Doing without this is all guess work!

I'm trying to find a post made on this forum where someone said they would read out an evolve car and just reverse engineer the changes and eventually find what all the maps were.
If that person is involved in this then our stance may just change on all of this.

I hope you guys will respect some basic rules which I don't need to mention.
Doesn't just apply to our tuning but any other company out there.

WEBSITE . EMAIL . INSTAGRAM . FACEBOOK
Jump to top evolve_auto is offline   Reply With Quote