BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 12:52:00 AM   #21
guayo42

United States

Default Re: Peeling/sticky interior rubber coating annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
That piece is pretty easy. Should take you like 15 minutes.
Yup. Not too bad at all. Make sure you have a trim removal kit at hand so you won't scratch anything. I recently changed it out while replacing the radio with an Xtron unit.
Jump to top guayo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 01:02:41 AM   #22
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

If you work the 303 in for a little longer, it looks amazing. If you just wipe with it quickly, it'll streak.

I live by it, but I gotta try the einzette products too, heard good things.

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/525) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 01:20:44 AM   #23
2006E46M3fan

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopolymath View Post

Working with those pieces is stupid easy. Check out youtube for quick R&R procedure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
That piece is pretty easy. Should take you like 15 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guayo42 View Post
Yup. Not too bad at all. Make sure you have a trim removal kit at hand so you won't scratch anything. I recently changed it out while replacing the radio with an Xtron unit.
Thanks gents, what's another $169 amirite.
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 09:02:21 PM   #24
hlmiii

United States

FWIW on the door panel speakers -

I had the same scuff issue and reaction (it really bothered me). I spent a couple of months thinking about all the details and +/- issues. There are 3 options - refinishing (didn't seem possible to match OEM finish, especially while assembled), separating panel pieces and refinishing (seemed very touchy, time consuming and difficult to reassemble reliably), or buying new or mint panels (costly and difficult to find).

I decided to try refinishing and it turned out virtually identical to OEM. Steps -

- mask all non-paint areas. Leather is critical. Use painter's tape and wrapper (plastic or paper) and cover EVERYTHING perfectly. Jam tape all the way down into seams between speaker covers and leather. Get it PERFECT so the leather is completely covered but flat and smooth, so that plastic is completely uncovered. It IS possible and not difficult. It just takes care and patience.

- completely remove OEM finish. Start with careful use of 400 grit sandpaper - the grit is necessary to bite into the paint. Then use 800 grit to finish the paint removal and smooth the surface. Remove ALL paint. Finally use 1000 or 1200 grit to polish the plastic. Get the surface perfectly smooth.

- use Krylon flat black spray paint. It is a nearly 100% perfect match for OEM. It may not seem like it but I promise it is. I tried several other types.

- spray the plastic using a VERY light coat of paint. Move fairly quickly and very evenly. The first coat will not and should not cover the surface completely. Let it dry for an hour; warm sunlight is a big help. Be sure to use quick light sprays from different angles.

- spray another light coat in the same manner.

- spray a third coat the same way.

- at this point the plastic, once dried, will/should look great and exactly like OEM.

- the next day remove tape and plastic masking VERY carefully. I used a dental pick, small needle-nosed pliers, hobby knife, etc. to nibble at tape that was at bottom where leather meets speaker cover and bottom pocket.

It will work great. Two things:
- inspect the first (especially) and second spray coats in great detail. If they are not perfect simply sand and start over. Additional coats will accentuate flaws, not diminish them.
- if you have any overspray on leather it can be 90% remedies with VERY CAREFUL use of acetone, Q-Tips and even a touch or two of a very sharp knife. Hopefully that won't be necessary as the acetone will start to remove the OEM leather finish pretty quickly.

Now that I've figured it out and done it, I'd have no hesitation in workng it again. It's quite doable - and done properly it's probably better and more durable than OEM.

Good luck.

Last edited by hlmiii; Sat, Jul-14-2018 at 05:23:15 AM.
Jump to top hlmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 02:42:09 PM   #25
I M Legend

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
FWIW on the door panel speakers -

I had the same scuff issue and reaction (it really bothered me). I spent a couple of months thinking about all the details and +/- issues. There are 3 options - refinishing (didn't seem possible to match OEM finish, especially while assembled), separating panel pieces and refinishing (seemed very touchy, time consuming and difficult to reassemble reliably), or buying new or mint panels (costly and difficult to find).

I decided to try refinishing and it turned out virtually identical to OEM. Steps -

- mask all non-paint areas. Leather is critical. Use painter's tape and wrapper (plastic or paper) and cover EVERYTHING perfectly. Jam tape all the way down into seams between speaker covers and leather. Get it PERFECT so the leather is completely covered but flat and smooth, so that plastic is completely uncovered. It IS possible and not difficult. It just takes care and patience.

- completely remove OEM finish. Start with careful use of 400 grit sandpaper - the grit is necessary to bite into the paint. Then use 800 grit to finish the paint removal and smooth the surface. Remove ALL paint. Finally use 1000 or 1200 grit to polish the plastic. Get the surface perfectly smooth.

- use Krylon flat black spray paint. It is a nearly 100% perfect match for OEM. It may not seem like it but I promise it is. I tried several other types.

- spray the plastic using a VERY light coat of paint. Move fairly quickly and very evenly. The first coat will not and should not cover the surface completely. Let it dry for an hour; warm sunlight is a big help. Be sure to use quick light sprays from different angles.

- spray another light coat in the same manner.

- spray a third coat the same way.

- at this point the plastic, once dried, will/should look great and exactly like OEM.

- the next day remove tape and plastic masking VERY carefully. I used a dental pick, small needle-nosed pliers, hobby knife, etc. to nibble at tape that was at bottom where leather meets speaker cover and bottom pocket.

It will work great. Two things:
- inspect the first (especially) and second spray coats in great detail. If they are not perfect simply sand and start over. Additional coats will accentuate flaws, not diminish them.
- if you have any overspray on leather it can be 90% remedies with VERY CAREFUL use of acetone, Q-Tips and even a touch or two of a very sharp knife. Hopefully that won't be necessary as the acetone will start to remove the OEM leather finish pretty quickly.

Now that I've figured it out and done it, I'd have no hesitation in workng it again. It's quite doable - and done properly it's probably better and more durable than OEM.

Good luck.
Do you have any pics?
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 10:05:28 PM   #26
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Had the same... my buddy used some SEM product on mine and it looks perfectly OE. Glad I didn't take the risk on something foolish.

Cost me $30 and an import.

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R

Last edited by BearDeXPS; Mon, Jul-16-2018 at 10:08:42 PM.
Jump to top BearDeXPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 10:12:05 PM   #27
Rickyrosh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
Had the same... my buddy used some SEM product on mine and it looks perfectly OE. Glad I didn't take the risk on something foolish.

Cost me $30 and an import.

SEM product? Did you mean OEM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Rickyrosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 10:16:15 PM   #28
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrosh View Post
SEM product? Did you mean OEM?

No. I meant SEM https://www.semproducts.com/

I'd link my journal here but photobucket

Here's a link from my journal on m3cutters... 3yrs ago and it still looks perfect.

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showpo...0&postcount=83

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 02:23:32 AM   #29
Rickyrosh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
No. I meant SEM https://www.semproducts.com/

I'd link my journal here but photobucket

Here's a link from my journal on m3cutters... 3yrs ago and it still looks perfect.

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showpo...0&postcount=83

Thanks! Got any latest pics of the work?

Jump to top Rickyrosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 08:40:44 PM   #30
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

I've tried both scotch pad removal, on my '99 323i of the center console, and plasti-dip on the center console pocket door. If done properly, the scuff pad looks the most consistent. The plasti-dip was close but not a perfect match.

I would just buy new pieces or try removing everything, sanding down and repainting in SEM trim black paint. Then it all looks the same and should be more durable.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
1997 318i Silver/Black...Daily
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote