BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 04:47:18 PM   #1
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Anyone have any experience with Element Fire Extinguishers? Pretty different!

https://elementfire.com/

Benefits I'm seeing:
-The one meant for automotive use (the E50) weights 0.6 lbs, which is appealing! Also less likely to injure someone while flying around the cabin in an accident :P
-It also has 50 seconds of discharge. Most pressurized fire extinguishers people carry under their seats have a couple seconds of use.
-No mess/residue left behind.
-Fits in smaller areas.
-Cheap!
-Compact, compared to a traditional fire extinguisher

The downside I see is that you have to be closer to the fire to use it. But, any fire that's big enough that you don't want to be that close to, I feel like is more than you're going to put out with the couple of seconds of use you get with a traditional, pressurized fire extinguisher.

What am I missing? Why am I not seeing these in cars?

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Thu, Jul-05-2018 at 07:39:09 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 05:50:47 PM   #2
aaronpoweruser

United States

Default Re: Anyone have any experience with Element Fire Extinguishers? Pretty different!

Nice fine, I ordered a couple for the car and shop.

Seems like that stricker cap would be easy to drop in gloves and a panic but other than that seems well thought out .

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
Jump to top aaronpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 06:27:34 PM   #3
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Anyone have any experience with Element Fire Extinguishers? Pretty different!

Super cheap set up compared to other ones I’ve seen. I’m really tempted to pick one up.
Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 07:16:37 PM   #4
SQ13

United States

What allows it to last longer? Higher compression, restricted nozzle, etc.?
Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 07:17:43 PM   #5
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
What allows it to last longer? Higher compression, restricted nozzle, etc.?
It's not a compressed gas, like traditional fire extinguishers.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 07:24:25 PM   #6
Sweet Jones

In the garage:

Mexico

This looks awesome, looks like i'll be ordering one as well. i also really love their carbon fiber mount option.

S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.

E46 touring, Version 2
S54/6 speed, polished FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator-Mishimoto radiator hoses-Mishimoto electric fan, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff and RevShift bushings, RTD mini V2 shifter and DSSR, Airlift Performance 3H suspension, Rogue Engineering RaceBrace strut bar, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, PLM SM-AFR wideband, Eonon GA7150A with front and rear cameras, Work Brombachers, Storm Motorwerks interior pieces, CSL brakes and 996 calipers, 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust, Bimmerworld Race diffuser. M3 bodywork and paint.

Jump to top Sweet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 08:11:47 PM   #7
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Anyone have any experience with Element Fire Extinguishers? Pretty different!

I guess it would be harder to spray from under the car? If there’s a fire under the hood, the worst thing you can do is open the hood.

But this is a win-win. A fire extinguisher makes a massive mess. You’re almost better off letting the car burn down. The dry chem stuff will ruin paint, fabric, aluminum, glass...pretty much any surface it touches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 11:53:02 PM   #8
aeronaut

United States

I'm seeing 2 downsides:
- Gotta get awfully close to that fire. THIS close. OUCH. I wouldn't use that thing on any fire that could flare.

- In the vid, it looks like he removes caps off both ends of the device. Which are lose parts you have to hold onto and use to start it. Not intuitive at all. I wouldn't expect anyone not familiar to pick that thing up and be able to use it in an emergency.
Jump to top aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-06-2018, 12:55:12 PM   #9
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
- In the vid, it looks like he removes caps off both ends of the device. Which are lose parts you have to hold onto and use to start it. Not intuitive at all. I wouldn't expect anyone not familiar to pick that thing up and be able to use it in an emergency.
I think I'd just drop them, worry about picking them up later

Agreed that a random person with it might have issues using it. That said, I feel like my primary desire for a fire extinguisher is to have it on hand if my car catches fire, to suppress the fire till I'm clear of it.

Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 11:40:42 PM   #10
gabylonfive
g-day

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I think I'd just drop them, worry about picking them up later

Agreed that a random person with it might have issues using it. That said, I feel like my primary desire for a fire extinguisher is to have it on hand if my car catches fire, to suppress the fire till I'm clear of it.
This looks pretty awesome - going to order a couple for the house and car for emergencies.

FWIW - I had to use a 5lb extinguisher recently to put out a small fire and it literally discharged for 5 seconds, very underwhelming and really made me uneasy about my family having the same dinky extinguisher as a last resort for fire suppression.

Thanks for sharing!

--
[OE CSL] [Karbonius] [Supersprint] [Dinan] [Bimmerworld] [Rays Engineering]
[Kassel Performance] [AKG Motorsport] [CSF Radiators] [SPAL] [Turner Motorsport]
[ApexRaceParts] [Rogue Engineering] [Ground Control] [Redish Motorsport] [AutoSolutions]
---
[KEEPER] - 2004 6MT M3 [Alpine White // Cinnamon]
[DAILY] - 2008 6AT Stg2 335i [Alpine White // Saddle Brown]
[TRACK] - 2001 Trackspec Autosports Spec E46 [#75]
ig -- @gabylonfive
Jump to top gabylonfive is offline   Reply With Quote