BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 05:50:55 PM   #1
aerpelding
///M Driver

In the garage:

United States

Default Exhaust assistance

I just purchased and installed an SS Race, the rest of the exhaust is stock so of course there is a bunch of rasp. I have a few questions that i'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'm planning on going with AP headers, CPI RTX, and SS Resonated Section 2 to go with the SS Race.
However, i'm debating a few other more cost effective options, per my questions below:

Question 1. Instead of a CPI RTX section 1, i could install two AR20s in my oem section 1. What would be the sound difference? Is the RTX that much better at reducing rasp? or vice versa? What are the pros and cons (aside from cost) of going with the RTX or 2 AR20's?

Question 2. I have a local exhaust shop that can make a custom exhaust, if i had them make me a custom single pipe section 2, what resonator should i have them install that would be simliar to the SS resonator in their section 2?

Last question. If i was to scrap all of the above, and have my local shop build a custom exhaust. It could go from the headers, into a y, down a single pipe all the way to the back. Y again back into the SS Race.
What size pipe, and what resonators, along with how many resonators, would i need? Again, this would be with AP headers as well.
This is just a random idea a friend of mine had so i'm curious what i'd need to eliminate the rasp, and i'm also curious if it would sound very good?

*NOTE*
This is a weekend car, not my daily. I also am not worried about emissions or the smell of no cats. So, please don't go off the rails telling me i need to install cats in section 1. Please only answer my questions asked. Thanks!

Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Laguna Seca Blau | Full Cinnamon Interior Swap | KW v1 | GC Street Camber plates | OEM e92 19" ZCP w/10mm Macht Schnell rear spacers | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Coby Alcantara e-brake handle & Alcantara e-brake boot | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM Hood Grills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser | SuperSprint LTW Race |

Last edited by aerpelding; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 05:54:35 PM.
Jump to top aerpelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 11:06:24 PM   #2
Chapelle

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Exhaust assistance

I've probably considered all of your options so I look forward to some responses. Currently only have an Eisenmann Sport section 3.

Are you sticking with AP headers in all options?
Jump to top Chapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 11:25:21 PM   #3
jared212

United States

Is your Google broken? CW is Megan headers, double resonated sec 1, stock sec 2, SCZA muffler.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
'04 SGM/Blk|SMG|AA/FS Prima Elite kit|Hacksaw built engine w/ JE/Molnar/Supertech/ARP/lots of ceramic TBC|ID1050x injectors|Radium rail+FPD-XR|Aeromotive FPR|-6an fuel system walbro 450 e85|RMS headers|Magnaflow custom 2.5" sec1|Besian|Redish|ZCP springs/Koni's|Hotchkis front sway bar+deleted rear|Turner Pulleys|Southbend stg 3 DD clutch|Innovate/Spek gauges|relocated SMG|Mishi OCC|Koyo Radiator|CSF oil cooler|basically stock interior and exterior
Jump to top jared212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 11:47:23 PM   #4
aerpelding
///M Driver

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared212 View Post
Is your Google broken? CW is Megan headers, double resonated sec 1, stock sec 2, SCZA muffler.

Thanks for your useless response.

Laguna Seca Blau | Full Cinnamon Interior Swap | KW v1 | GC Street Camber plates | OEM e92 19" ZCP w/10mm Macht Schnell rear spacers | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Coby Alcantara e-brake handle & Alcantara e-brake boot | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM Hood Grills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser | SuperSprint LTW Race |

Last edited by aerpelding; Thu, Sep-06-2018 at 12:56:17 AM.
Old Thu, Sep-06-2018, 12:57:20 AM   #5
aerpelding
///M Driver

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
I've probably considered all of your options so I look forward to some responses. Currently only have an Eisenmann Sport section 3.

Are you sticking with AP headers in all options?
Yes AP headers in all options. For the price I think they sound the best. I'd love to go AR headers but they are more than I care to spend on exhaust for this car.

Old Thu, Sep-06-2018, 05:57:43 AM   #6
jared212

United States

Just trying to save you money. AP is the same as like 6 different brands of copycat headers and they aren't the creator. They won't make 1hp more or less than any properly fitting Ebay header. What muffler shop you using? Ripleys? SSV1 on black friday prices is a way better bargain than custom exhaust. You can spend as much toying with exhaust sounds as a basic S/C kit costs.

'04 SGM/Blk|SMG|AA/FS Prima Elite kit|Hacksaw built engine w/ JE/Molnar/Supertech/ARP/lots of ceramic TBC|ID1050x injectors|Radium rail+FPD-XR|Aeromotive FPR|-6an fuel system walbro 450 e85|RMS headers|Magnaflow custom 2.5" sec1|Besian|Redish|ZCP springs/Koni's|Hotchkis front sway bar+deleted rear|Turner Pulleys|Southbend stg 3 DD clutch|Innovate/Spek gauges|relocated SMG|Mishi OCC|Koyo Radiator|CSF oil cooler|basically stock interior and exterior
Jump to top jared212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-06-2018, 03:13:16 PM   #7
aerpelding
///M Driver

In the garage:

United States

Still doesn't answer my question regarding the difference in using 2 AR20s vs the CPI RTX. Which would get rid of the most rasp.
I'll look into SS headers on black Friday, I plan on picking up their resonated section 2 at that time also. But likely, after hearing different setups, i'll be sticking with AP headers.

Last edited by aerpelding; Thu, Sep-06-2018 at 09:35:57 PM.
Old Thu, Sep-06-2018, 07:19:12 PM   #8
Hender107

In the garage:

United States

I'm currently running, euro headers into a my oe section 1 with 2 ar20s, section 2 is RE x-pipe and a stock section 3. This set up I have very little rasp, 3-5k is the most noticeably cursing around but its noticeably better I think. Cant say on a comparison to the CPI set up sorry.
Jump to top Hender107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-06-2018, 09:40:46 PM   #9
aerpelding
///M Driver

In the garage:

United States

This is the sound i'm targeting:

Except i've heard the difference in CPI headers vs AP, and the AP sounds better imo.
Again, which is my reasoning for going:

AP Headers, CPI RTX Section 1, SS Resonated Section 2, and SS Race.

Old Thu, Sep-06-2018, 10:17:56 PM   #10
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Go with ssv1 headers and sec1, resonated 2.5 ss sec2, ss race.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote