BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 02:32:16 PM   #41
enderw88
Rolling Restorer

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Fan delete mod roll-call & W. pump question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsperry View Post
AND you KNOW the aux fan is working, you shouldn't even think about it.
This.

This means the OEM circuitry for the fan, and check it out. In my case PO decided he wanted to manually control the front fan after he did the fan delete and installed a SPAL puller.

Unfortunately he decided to use Ace hardware connectors which shorted out as soon as he hit a puddle (he also deleted the lower cover) which meant the fans wouldn't come on and there was no way to tell until the temp gauge stared screaming up.

When you do car electrics use AUTOMOTIVE connectors, like weatherpack, and make sure you know what you're doing.

I have reinstalled the mechanical fan while I unscrew his wiring modifications to the rest of the harness.

New Buyers Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
Buying the car is going to turn out the be the least expensive part of this experience. Fun though.
Jump to top enderw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 03:03:31 PM   #42
Volcom8190

United States

my aux died, i replaced it with one of the crazy straight blade spal fans. I don't run the mechanical fan in the winter and run it in the summer, warmup is a little faster without the mechanical, but i wouldn't be caught dead without the mechanical in the summer in NC
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 03:18:01 PM   #43
enderw88
Rolling Restorer

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom8190 View Post
my aux died, i replaced it with one of the crazy straight blade spal fans. I don't run the mechanical fan in the winter and run it in the summer, warmup is a little faster without the mechanical, but i wouldn't be caught dead without the mechanical in the summer in NC
I get it. After a few close calls here in Tucson, am leaving the mechanical on. I no longer trust the electric fan until I completely verify the circuitry.

New Buyers Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
Buying the car is going to turn out the be the least expensive part of this experience. Fun though.
Jump to top enderw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 05:35:15 PM   #44
jayjaya29
Photographer

United States

I wired up a switch to the temp sender that turns the aux fan on. I run the fan inbetween auto-x runs and temp needle is rock solid.
Jump to top jayjaya29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 05:35:49 PM   #45
camdinans3
Resident Rabble Rouser

United States

It's not that hard to test if the aux fan works. I'm not a huge fan of the lower temp thermostat, but i am supportive of upgrading to the 80/88 fan switch.

I recently removed my mechanical fan when i upgraded to the S54 Mcoupe rad, stewart water pump, aluminum thermo housing, standard thermostat, new lines and new expansion tank with brass bleed screw.

I replaced the mechanical fan with the 16in spal puller fan integrated into the circuit and on a switch. it pulls A LOT of heat out of the rad. I'm supercharged and as such there is quite a bit more heat to deal with and I haven't had any issues at the track or autox. I turn the fan on manually in between autox runs and it significantly decreases the temperature.

honestly if you have the correct supportive components you don't need the mechanical fan. It's the people who are running a 100k cooling system who delete the fan for, a couple hp, that run into problems. If done correctly the Fan delete modification provides for me at least, piece of mind that I don't have to worry about an additional fan clutch, the fan exploding into my cooling system. But that's just me.

///95 Supercharged Club
Jump to top camdinans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 07:37:33 PM   #46
KBuva06

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
There's absolutely nothing to worry about, even if it was the middle of summer. Provided your aux fan works of course.

Thermostat is temperature driven, the electrical aux fan switch does nothing to activate the thermostat. No issues.

Ok cool. Yea, my aux fan works properly (thus far) and I just upgraded to stewart wp and all other new cooling components. I think I will get the lower temp fan switch, but keep the stock temp thermostat.

I think I was a bit confused... initially I thought that the temp switch was linked to the thermostat (which obviously makes no sense now, and which explains why my dingbat-self was confused). I realize now that the temp switch activates the aux fan to come on at the two lower temp settings for low and high speed rotation (80c/88c) versus the factory 91c/99c). Clearly the two are independent as you stated.

Being NA and with all new OE components (minus stewart wp) I think I should be fine, especially with winter arriving.

Thanks for the info and for clarifying things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsperry View Post
If you see the temp needle start moving above normal, TURN on the AC. (if the aux fan works, it should come on...) If it still goes up turn off the car before it gets to the red.

Thanks; this is a good way to test and see if the aux fan is functioning.... but in all honesty if this situation did occur I can see myself turning the heat on full blast instead, in a state of panic/attempt to get some heat out of the engine, instead of doing a quick diagnostic test to see if the aux fan's working! One figures that if the temp needle starts rising, at that point its sorta irrelevant whether the aux fan is working or not/you can figure that out after you pull over and shut down. I'd be more concerned with lowering the water temp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdinans3 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the lower temp thermostat, but i am supportive of upgrading to the 80/88 fan switch.

Thanks for the info; I think if you are fine running the standard thermostat along with a Dinan blower, I should be fine with the standard thermostat NA! I will definitely get the fan switch, however.
Jump to top KBuva06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 07:43:37 PM   #47
Braymond141

United States

Yeah if you have a Stewart pump you're good.

Did you replace the radiator? The only issue there would be the common cracking plastic @ 70-100k miles.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 07:44:45 PM   #48
KBuva06

United States

Regarding the water wetter, which I do plan to add to my coolant/dH2O mix, how many bottles are necessary?

Understeer's kit comes with two bottles while Bimmerworld's identical kit (much cheaper btw ) only comes with one. The Red Line website (maker of WW) states that one bottle treats 3-5 gallons of coolant (way more than we have.... I think! I wanna say our capacities are less than three gallons.. What's the coolant capacity of our system anyhow?) How much do you all recommend I purchase and use?

"Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters. Vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles. Small cooling systems should use 1oz (3 to 4 capfuls) per quart."

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 07:45:50 PM   #49
KBuva06

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Yeah if you have a Stewart pump you're good.

Did you replace the radiator? The only issue there would be the common cracking plastic @ 70-100k miles.
Yes, the radiator was replaced last September at 114,500 miles. I'm currently right at 120,000.
Old Wed, Oct-19-2011, 07:48:56 PM   #50
Braymond141

United States

With the Stewart, just one bottle of water wetter, but two wont hurt.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote