BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Nov-13-2010, 04:50:53 AM   #11
ClarkeBurns
At the limit of lateral adhesion

United States

I did the fan delete on both my E36s. To clarify, you're removing the mechanical (belt-driven) fan that sits behind the radiator. The (electrical) aux fan is in front of the a/c condenser, and that's what you see from the front of the car.

I wouldn't really call my current car a "fan delete", though. I've got a spal fan on there in its place. Thing sounds like a jet engine, and it kicks on whenever it feels like it. It's weird to have a fan running after you've turned off the car--sometimes it turns on after I've shut the car off.
Seems to work ok. First track day with that setup is Sunday.

Previous:
1995 Avus M3
2004 Mystic M3
Current:
1999 Hellrot M3 (125k miles)

Jump to top ClarkeBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Nov-13-2010, 04:55:23 AM   #12
WRXEATR
The Frugal and Outspoken One

United States

FDM done two years ago, coolant changed to Propylene glycol, installed Stewart WP and no issues since. FYI the steel impeller oem water pumps are no better than plastic.
Jump to top WRXEATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-13-2010, 05:21:33 AM   #13
Supered ///M
Panther fans get on your feet

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXEATR View Post
FDM done two years ago, coolant changed to Propylene glycol, installed Stewart WP and no issues since. FYI the steel impeller oem water pumps are no better than plastic.
I personally would feel better about knowing I had a steel oem one in there if mine had never been done vs. a plastic oem. I have a stewart now though and wouldn't replace the OEM one with anything else.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the aux fan kicks in to cool the coolant or is it solely for AC and just happens to also direct wind through the radiator as well?

Mods: RMS Vortech V1 Supercharger, M50 manifold swap, B&B tri-flo DTM exhaust, Ron Stygar Custom SS kit, autometer oil temp. and boost gauges, ASC throttle body delete, H&R Springs, Bilstein shocks, Dinan rear strut tower brace, Mason front strut tower brace, UUC Barbarian front/rear sway bars, X-brace front subframe connector, JTD rear shock mounts, Steel braided brake lines, yellow tinted fogs, genuine euro plate, ZKW headlights with 8000k LED angel eyes, racing decal, and other stuff
Jump to top Supered ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-13-2010, 05:25:45 AM   #14
WRXEATR
The Frugal and Outspoken One

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supered Ehm View Post
I personally would feel better about knowing I had a steel oem one in there if mine had never been done vs. a plastic oem. I have a stewart now though and wouldn't replace the OEM one with anything else.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the aux fan kicks in to cool the coolant or is it solely for AC and just happens to also direct wind through the radiator as well?
The aux fan is triggered by coolant temperature, so yes I think it would be safe to say it has a slight effect on lowering the temp of the coolant although that may not be its sole intended purpose.
Jump to top WRXEATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-13-2010, 07:50:39 AM   #15
PurduinaM3
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Been running the fan delete kit from Understeer for 4 years and have had zero problems at all
Jump to top PurduinaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-13-2010, 08:29:03 AM   #16
Oogie_M
o_O

Taiwan

stewart WP, zionsville radiator, fan delete, temp switch, lower temp thermostat... all at once.

no problems so far. I monitored the coolant temp with a OBD-II reader in traffic & 98F degrees weather, it seemed just fine.
Jump to top Oogie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-13-2010, 01:16:50 PM   #17
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

I did the fan delete about 8 years ago, no issues at all.

New OE pumps are plastic, (composite), BMW only used metal impellers for a short while. In fact the original pump was a composite, just a different composite. I changed the original water pump and did the fan delete at about 38K miles since it was then a hot topic. I installed a metal impeller pump.

I just changed out the original radiator, expansion tank, cap, hoses and intalled a Stewart pump. (72K miles.) Still no issues.
Old Thu, Dec-09-2010, 07:01:06 PM   #18
bl79

United States

Quick question in the old thread:

Im currently at school but will be going home in about a week. I recently heard an intermittent chirping noise coming from the area around the fan.

If I try to spin the fan by hand it goes pretty well. There is definitely far less resistance than there should be and the fan wiggles a bit as well.

I have an 8 hour drive home next week and really don't want to have to worry about this fan detonating on me. Is it a viable option just to pull the fan for now? Once I get home Im probably going to do a cooling overhaul anyway including SPAL fan.

Essentially my question is can I get away with just taking out the fan without changing anything else(do I even need to bleed the coolant) for a short period of time? Also, its like 20* here and wont be much warmer home.
Jump to top bl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-09-2010, 07:37:08 PM   #19
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

I'd recommend it. Especially if you are seeing the fan wobble.
Old Thu, Dec-09-2010, 09:34:28 PM   #20
hcaleman

United States

Pull the fan it sounds like it is on it's last legs. With the current temperatures and highwya driving you shouldn't have any issue. The main concern is sitting stationary in traffic in warmer temperatures. Do a proper delete setup or get a new fan/clutch when the time is available before spring rolls around.
Jump to top hcaleman is offline   Reply With Quote