BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 12:41:06 AM   #1
azndrunk74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,024
Reputation: 0 azndrunk74 is on a distinguished road
Location: Bay Area

Taiwan




Default well my rear spring perch ripped, question about removal of control arm

so my damn passenger rear spring perch (upper control arm) ripped due to the stress of my bilstein pss9 adjustment collar. does removing the arm require unbolting the diff? and yes i will be buying rear spring perch reinforcements

not my pics but same ish happened

__________________
LSB|Cinnamon

Last edited by azndrunk74; Fri, Nov-12-2010 at 10:40:55 PM.
Jump to top azndrunk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 05:20:01 AM   #2
azndrunk74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,024
Reputation: 0 azndrunk74 is on a distinguished road
Location: Bay Area

Taiwan




Default

Fml..anyone? Lol
__________________
LSB|Cinnamon
Jump to top azndrunk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 05:35:28 AM   #3
hogger453
Registered User
 
hogger453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,917
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 hogger453 is on a distinguished road
Location: Los Angeles

Bulgaria




Default

Had my entire subframe out a while back. So memory is vague. I do remeber saying what a pain it would be to remove the upper control arms with all this **** mounted on the car.

Either way you're either dropping the diff or dropping the subframe.
__________________
Jump to top hogger453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 06:19:46 AM   #4
playskool1
NorCal's S54 VANOS/Valve Adjust./Rod Bearing guy
 
playskool1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 4,206
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 playskool1 is on a distinguished road
Location: SF Bay Area

Philippines




Default

holy crap! what's funny is i have those RE reinforcement things for like 6 months and still haven't installed them.

did you buy a new control arm? what spring rates are you running in the rear?
__________________
01/01 build date[LSB][Cinn.][6 Spd.]MAXIMUM PSI TURBO 14psi PT6266 [228k total miles][original motor]
[115k supercharged miles][17k E85 miles][5k turbocharged miles][1.7k track miles]
INSTAGRAM: @skweakykleen
Full Beisan VANOS overhaul, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, WPC rod bearings = bulletproof
Jump to top playskool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 06:53:50 AM   #5
azndrunk74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,024
Reputation: 0 azndrunk74 is on a distinguished road
Location: Bay Area

Taiwan




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger453 View Post
Had my entire subframe out a while back. So memory is vague. I do remeber saying what a pain it would be to remove the upper control arms with all this **** mounted on the car.

Either way you're either dropping the diff or dropping the subframe.
limping my car to the shop tomorrow, hoping that it's not the case..

Quote:
Originally Posted by playskool1 View Post
holy crap! what's funny is i have those RE reinforcement things for like 6 months and still haven't installed them.

did you buy a new control arm? what spring rates are you running in the rear?
yeah got a OEM control arm. i'm not sure what the pss9 rates are since they're progressive. i dont know how they ripped, i don't launch the car or take hard turns. maybe it's because verts are heavier?

man hurry up and install the reinforcement plates..you don't want to pay $250 for a control arm and then 2-3 hours labor on top..it's cheap insurance.
__________________
LSB|Cinnamon
Jump to top azndrunk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 02:59:27 PM   #6
tonggi
Tonggi Tuning, LLC
 
tonggi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,151
Reputation: 0 tonggi is on a distinguished road
Location: skankville, NJ

Philippines




Default

Yes you will have to unbolt the diff so you can wiggle it out of the way.

When you get the plates make sure NOT to use the screw and bolt that holds the perch down, That is the main culprit to the failure, It keeps the perch position in one place all the time and the stress just kept adding up.

While you are there you should do adjustable arms, etc. Monoball upper inner bushings too!! :p

good luck. I have a spare set of the reinforcement plates but a gut feeling tells me to hold on to them ( I have weight jackers with the built in perch)
__________________
TiTS Racing in association with MMFN Racing and AYO STFU



Want to buy your High Mileage Car!
Jump to top tonggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 04:08:12 PM   #7
king-rb
dammmmmmmmit!
 
king-rb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,703
Reputation: 0 king-rb is on a distinguished road
Location: San Diego

Germany




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonggi View Post

When you get the plates make sure NOT to use the screw and bolt that holds the perch down, That is the main culprit to the failure, It keeps the perch position in one place all the time and the stress just kept adding up.
Can you please explain this theory? With the plates the load is dispersed, so what difference does not bolting it down do? You still have the same point load so I'm curious what your thoughts are on this
__________________
Jump to top king-rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 04:38:14 PM   #8
lucky_doggg7
lucky_doggg7
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,117
Reputation: 11 lucky_doggg7 is on a distinguished road
Location: Lake Forest

United States




Default

Yikes, I think it's time to get those RE reinforcement plates! Thanks for sharing.
Jump to top lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 06:50:40 PM   #9
azndrunk74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,024
Reputation: 0 azndrunk74 is on a distinguished road
Location: Bay Area

Taiwan




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonggi View Post
Yes you will have to unbolt the diff so you can wiggle it out of the way.

When you get the plates make sure NOT to use the screw and bolt that holds the perch down, That is the main culprit to the failure, It keeps the perch position in one place all the time and the stress just kept adding up.

While you are there you should do adjustable arms, etc. Monoball upper inner bushings too!! :p

good luck. I have a spare set of the reinforcement plates but a gut feeling tells me to hold on to them ( I have weight jackers with the built in perch)
thanks for the info on unbolting the diff. how many hours would u estimate it would take to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
Yikes, I think it's time to get those RE reinforcement plates! Thanks for sharing.
i just purchased a set from custom performance, ironically it was cheaper from them because shipping is free (vs $14 from RE).
__________________
LSB|Cinnamon
Jump to top azndrunk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2010, 07:00:54 PM   #10
jph28
Back in 'Merica
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 34
Posts: 7,807
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 jph28 is on a distinguished road
Location: Charlotte, NC

United States




Default

Whoa! I never even gave this failure mode a thought... looks like it's time to order some reinforcement plates - installed ASTs about a month ago (although my rear spring "perch" is a larger surface area than that pictured).
__________________

Current - 2002 M5, awaiting re-fresh...
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
arm, control, perch, question, rear, removal, ripped, spring

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:57:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing well my rear spring perch ripped, question about removal of control arm in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)