BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Oct-27-2006, 03:12:34 AM   #1
GR///M3

Greece

Default bi-xenon headlight swap from euro M3, question

i just got a pair of bi-xenon headlight assemblies + side indicators from an evo M3, 2003.

I want to install them in my non-xenon equipped 2002 M3 (halogen). when i do the swap i heard some stuff around the forums about a bulb out warning coming up....

just curious to see if i'll get it also, and if the install will be plug&play I'm not sure if I will need additional harnesses or something....

if anyone else did it, please post and let me know....

thanks.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-27-2006, 06:38:48 PM   #2
neil33351

They are plug and play but you will need to re-program the LCM. Also you won't get the motor line feature on the headlamps. They will always point straight. The headlamps have a motor that moves them internaly. Good Luck.

Neil
Jump to top neil33351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-27-2006, 06:45:19 PM   #3
GR///M3

Greece

someone said that i need to splice wires in order to get just the low beam headlights to work and that i won't get bi-xenon on the high beams or the leveling....

i need to find the additional parts to get it all to work correct.

problem is i don't know what to get and where to get them. if i go to the dealer what else do i need to buy, are there harnesses that will connect to the car side so i don't have to re-wire ?

do i also need sensors for the self-leveling motors ?
Old Fri, Oct-27-2006, 09:16:47 PM   #4
UA///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil33351
They are plug and play but you will need to re-program the LCM. Also you won't get the motor line feature on the headlamps. They will always point straight. The headlamps have a motor that moves them internaly. Good Luck.

Neil
WRONG about the plug and play
Old Fri, Oct-27-2006, 11:49:44 PM   #5
GR///M3

Greece

Quote:

Neil
what is the LCM ? light control module ?

is this something that is on all bmws ?

ohhh....duhhh you mean the headlight switch in the cockpit.

Last edited by GR///M3; Sat, Oct-28-2006 at 12:07:03 AM.
Jump to top GR///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-28-2006, 12:30:17 AM   #6
GR///M3

Greece

Quote:

Neil
so would a dealer reprogram it for me if i asked ?

i would be better off just buying a euro-spec switch off an 03 or later with the same headlights as the ones i got...
Old Sat, Oct-28-2006, 06:49:52 AM   #7
GR///M3

Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA///M3

it might be that these headlights have brains of thier own, in which case power for each low beam and high beam is all that's needed from the car side.

if not then i will have to get my hands on the euro-spec LCM and wiring diagram.

this could be in interesting DIY post when i'm done.....
Old Tue, Nov-07-2006, 01:20:33 AM   #8
GR///M3

Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA///M3
u were right they are not plug and play. called pacific bmw today and got a list of additional parts i need. lcm, 2 sensors, and some brackets/extensions.

i don't have the bentley manual, but i know the latest and greatest m3's (06) come with these type of headlights, and so if i could figure out how to wire all this crap up, i would buy the additional parts from pacbmw and do it.

do you know anyone that's got the bentley book or can post the complete curciut ?

components needed:

new LCM (or reflash lcm to latest software)
adaptive headlight level sensors (2)
right side sensor bracket
front angle joint
regulating rod with extension
ride height sensor brackets (3)

and of course, a set of bi-xenon headlamp assemblies.
Old Sun, Oct-11-2009, 12:24:26 AM   #9
parad0x
E46 M3 Jet Black 6spd

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR///M3 View Post
u were right they are not plug and play. called pacific bmw today and got a list of additional parts i need. lcm, 2 sensors, and some brackets/extensions.

i don't have the bentley manual, but i know the latest and greatest m3's (06) come with these type of headlights, and so if i could figure out how to wire all this crap up, i would buy the additional parts from pacbmw and do it.

do you know anyone that's got the bentley book or can post the complete curciut ?

components needed:

new LCM (or reflash lcm to latest software)
adaptive headlight level sensors (2)
right side sensor bracket
front angle joint
regulating rod with extension
ride height sensor brackets (3)

and of course, a set of bi-xenon headlamp assemblies.

after everythign said and done with all your parts installed, I assume you got the LCM reprogrammed which made the low beams properly and flash to pass to work properly too, but you lost the high beam function when pushing the highbeam stalk forward to click in. I am assumming this LCM upgrade made you loose your constant high beams by pushing forward.. correct? If that is the case, have you got any work around this? have you tried using scott's DIY for the bi-xenon for enabling the flapper to work in the bi-xenons ?
Jump to top parad0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-11-2009, 06:00:51 AM   #10
GR///M3

Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by parad0x View Post
after everythign said and done with all your parts installed, I assume you got the LCM reprogrammed which made the low beams properly and flash to pass to work properly too, but you lost the high beam function when pushing the highbeam stalk forward to click in. I am assumming this LCM upgrade made you loose your constant high beams by pushing forward.. correct? If that is the case, have you got any work around this? have you tried using scott's DIY for the bi-xenon for enabling the flapper to work in the bi-xenons ?
this function should be enabled after the reflash. there are additional wires and connectors that need to be installed in order to make the high beams stick when pushing the stalk forward. i haven't gotten around to it yet, but i have the parts and wires fabbed and laying around somewhere.....