BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Place to discuss sights and sounds.

Old Wed, Jun-03-2009, 06:03:04 PM   #1
///M3THOD

United States

Default Trying to find a sub; sub box question for vert owners

I am not spending 600 for the BSW sub, for that price I can source a much better quality sub, amp and find a pre fab box.

Does anyone any recommendations of equipment from personal experience? I was wondering what the max size sub/box I can get into the truck without making any modifications.

Any help much appreciated.

| JVT headers || AP section 1 || KSport || BMW Motorsport 4.10 || Depo Smoked Corners || Custom ski pass Alpine Type R|
| UUC RTAB's/FCAB's/tranny mounts || Auto Technik matte grills || Orion V2's || Anthracite Powdercoated OEM ZCP's || EAS monochrome badges |
Jump to top ///M3THOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-03-2009, 10:46:12 PM   #2
Gregs///M

Italy

Most manufacturers list the dimensions of their preloaded boxes. You can always go into your trunk and measure your max dimensions. There are tons of companies out there that make good subs and boxes. Search the net and read reviews. I am installing a JL audio w3v3 10 inch woofer in my car. I was going to get the w6v3 ten but I was given a great price on the w3 that I could not turn down.

JL Audio, Kicker, Alpine, Eclipse, Focal, Digital Designs, Image Dynamics, Boston acoustics, JBL all make good sub woofers, just to name a few. Box built and design will yield the best quality sound and output. Be sure to match your sub woofers recommended enclosure size with the pre made box you buy.

Best option, but more expensive, would be to have someone build a box for you. For a convert, i would usually charge around 150-200 for a basic box. I would cut the box so that it fits snug into the trunk, mount it down, and carpet it. A more expensive option on top of the box build would be to make a cosmetic panel to finish it off or "beauty panel" some people call it. A price for that would be depending how he wanted it to look and what material he wanted it covered in. It can range anywhere from an addition $100 for a basic carpet panel up to $$$hundreds for a bondo and painted panel.

Modifications:Dice Ipod Interface [] Focal Utopia 6.5in components speakers(front), Focal Utopia 5.25in component speakers (rear) []JL Audio W3V3 Sub Woofer []
Eclipse Xa5000 5 ch amplifier [] Clifford 50.7 two way pager [] Custom interior trim (OEM Alcantara) [] Dinan Stage I tune. []
Owner of Bavarian Restoration - www.BavRest.com
Jump to top Gregs///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-17-2009, 01:03:47 AM   #3
20ducks

In the garage:

United States

I had mine custom made....worth the expense for a quality enclosure.
Jump to top 20ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-17-2009, 02:39:08 AM   #4
SneauxM3

United States

I have a partial start on a set up I was making but it was for a 10" sub. I pulled the spare out for th one I was making though. It was so if I wanted I could throw the carpet over it because I haul a mtn bike around a lot of time. Or if I wanted to bring spare wheels with me. It's half out of MDF Wood, and I fibreglassed the back half to conform with the spare wheel well curve. I used half the space for the sub box. And was kinda in middle of designing for mounting amp. had amp mounted right against back of well in there furthest to back of car. I was gonna try and upload pics soon. Was just about to try and sell this infinity 10" I dont need and some 6x9 kenwoods.

if you want to see what the box looks like I can shoot u email or whatever. It holds sounds great, It is just still in raw form. U may need cover w carpet or however youd like but it holds the sound great
Old Fri, Aug-21-2009, 01:46:39 PM   #5
dpham41

United States

Check out this box from WickedCAS. Best option for the vert IMO. Takes up very little space and easy to install. Kinda expensive for just a box though.

http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1

04 Carbon Black 6MT
Jump to top dpham41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-03-2009, 11:49:30 PM   #6
Halston Pitman
Sponsor

I would really give the ib110 a try. When you get down to it and search for a prefab box(never as good as a custom box), buy a decent subwoofer, buy a decent amp and purchase the wire and get done with the install your today is up close to(or many times over) the ib110 cost.

It is a customer install and I have not yet seen a prefab/manufactured subwoofer for the e46 vert that is more stealth. Once installed there is literally nothing to see at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Jump to top Halston Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-08-2009, 10:30:20 PM   #7
20ducks

In the garage:

United States

Jump to top 20ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-04-2011, 04:32:11 PM   #8
M3Topless_n_SLO

United States

Default Re: Trying to find a sub; sub box question for vert owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpham41 View Post
Check out this box from WickedCAS. Best option for the vert IMO. Takes up very little space and easy to install. Kinda expensive for just a box though.

http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1
This wouldn't be the best option for M3 Vert with factory nav and changer! You would have to move, relocate or change everything.

03 M3 E46 Cabrio
05 X5 E53 4.8is

Jump to top M3Topless_n_SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-21-2011, 11:26:01 PM   #9
s4play

United States

Default Re: Trying to find a sub; sub box question for vert owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Topless_n_SLO View Post
This wouldn't be the best option for M3 Vert with factory nav and changer! You would have to move, relocate or change everything.
Does the box cover all those areas?

$549 for a box only for a 10w3 is kinda pricey

Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
Jump to top s4play is offline   Reply With Quote