BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Nov-20-2009, 03:46:53 AM   #41
prematureapex

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames View Post
What did your insurance company do? My baby is at the dealer right now getting an OEM windshield installed. $500ish for windshield, plus ~5 hours of labor, so I'm expecting $1100 to pay OUT OF POCKET for this. I have Allstate with a $500 deductible and they want me to go to a third-party shop non-OEM. I am prepared to pay the difference, but want to argue OEM when I file a claim.

You said yes to 5 hours to install a windshield?

What is your argument for OEM going to be again? It's a damn windshield. As it's been said, you can get the same piece of glass minus the BMW stamp for half the price.
Jump to top prematureapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-20-2009, 05:07:51 AM   #42
bimmermilan
///M > AMG

In the garage:

Serbia

man up....pay up....you drive a BMW not KIA!!! 5hrs tho is not right I've installed windshields in 45 min and charged 4hrs lol uninformed customers are great!!
Old Fri, Nov-20-2009, 04:16:36 PM   #43
tlsmikey

I went aftermarket on mine (Pilkington). I paid out of pocket, so the difference was around $180 extra for the OEM version. The aftermarket one looks great, no complaints.

The only thing to be cautious of, is the rain sensor. They re-used my existing rain sensor, which is fine...except that it didn't come off cleanly from the original glass and now doesn't seem to work as well as it did originally. It may be worth it to just replace it at the same time.
Old Fri, Nov-20-2009, 05:23:22 PM   #44
cakM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
actually it was $225 installed oem bmw glass is either pilkington, sekurit or splintex (with the bmw logo printed on the glass). if you try to find any of these brands with the bmw logo on it, it will be very exspensive ~ $500 - $600 installed. an alternative is to just get the pilkington brand without the bmw logo. its the identical glass just at a lower price since you can buy it outside of the bmw dealership. just make sure what ever glass you get that it comes with a NEW rain sensor affixed by the manufacturer. dont let the windshield guys trick you into getting a windshield without the rainsensor and then try to add one from the dealer. the problem with this is there will be air bubble under the rain sensor and it will look like ASS.

also, try to stay away from any windshield which has the Siglasol UV protection. the glass will have a blueish/silver tint to it. yes it keeps the temps down in your car but it also blocks Laser band singals..... thus your V1 will not work with it well. also there is a weird shape cutout around the mirror area.. i dont like
Thanks daytonaviolet for a very informative explanation on windshields...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmikey View Post
I went aftermarket on mine (Pilkington). I paid out of pocket, so the difference was around $180 extra for the OEM version. The aftermarket one looks great, no complaints.

The only thing to be cautious of, is the rain sensor. They re-used my existing rain sensor, which is fine...except that it didn't come off cleanly from the original glass and now doesn't seem to work as well as it did originally. It may be worth it to just replace it at the same time.
tls, seems to me that the Pilkington windshield you got should have come with a rain sensor attached if the company you went with ordered the right one. I checked on this as well at my local windshield replacement company and the owner specifically told me that he could order an aftermarket Pilkington windshield with the rain sensor already installed, just like the OEM versions. Just wanted to mention this to you...
Old Fri, Nov-20-2009, 06:12:24 PM   #45
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

Yes. You are all correct about the rain sensor. Plinkinton makes the OEM windshield, so the only real difference is the BMW stamp and the BMW rain sensor. Some of the aftermarket windshields, including Plinkinton, either use an aftermarket rain sensor or try to reuse the original one. My insurer, Hartford, has a blanket policy that if there is a rainsensor involved, they will automatically authorize OEM glass (if you know enough to ask for it). According to what Hartford told me, they have simply learned that it is more cost effective for them to pay for OEM than to deal with complaints and redo things several times with aftermarket.

Finally, and this is a minor point, non-oem may effect trade-in value. My recent experience trading in my wife's Accord was that the appraiser didn't pull out his paint guage until he saw the non-OEM windshield. That is when he discovered the repainted hood and front fender. The non-oem windshield is just a red flag that triggers a closer inspection.

• If you are wondering about whether or not to buy snow tires, please review the dozens of threads where people caused thousands of dollars of damage in a light snowfall at 10 mph.
  • If you are thinking about buying an M3 because they can now be found pre-owned fairly inexpensively, please review the threads explaining how expensive the maintenance is. Plan on spending $2,000 or more per year on routine maintenance.
Jump to top rbenjami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-20-2009, 09:43:15 PM   #46
John_T
Ad Hoc

Reputation: 45 John_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond repute

United States

There is the rain sensor, but down in the left lower corner there is also the headlight auto on / dimmer sensor. My insurance tried to get me to go to their glass installer and I said no, only OEM by BMW. They said ok. The bill went direct and I never saw it. On my policy they allow one windshield per year, no deductible.

Last edited by John_T; Fri, Nov-20-2009 at 09:47:09 PM.
Jump to top John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-01-2009, 07:21:00 PM   #47
TigerDave

In the garage:

United States

Throwing in my 2 cents...

A nice marble-sized rock hit my windshield last week just below the driver's side wiper blade and now there's a 7 inch crack running upwards.

Called my insurance company (Wawanesa) and filed a claim. I have a $100 deductible for comprehensive damages which this falls under.

Here in California, they contract with All Star Glass (http://www.allstarglass.net) to handle windshield repairs and replacements. They added that I can go with any shop or dealer to get the job done, but would only pay up to what All Star Glass would appraise the work for. Anything above that, I'd have to pay up.

My windshield is the stock original that came with the car. It has the BMW logo on it and says "Pilkington" right next to it.

I called BMW of San Diego and was told that they outsource glass work to "AGS Autoglass" who then quoted me $763.43 to replace with OEM ($435.53 for glass, $32.57 for molding, $295.33 for labor).

I had to give the last 7-digits of my VIN# to each place so they could get the right part (as there are 7 possible windshields to chose from).

All Star Glass quoted me $836 for OEM (they would purchase directly from a BMW dealer) or $622.98 for "aftermarket". I told her that my current glass is Pilkington (as "rbenjami" stated in Post #45 above) and that's what I want. She said that they could get Pilkington as aftermarket.

As "cak323i" stated in post #44 above, the gal from All Star added that it comes with the rain sensor already attached -- assuming they order the correct one.

That's where I stand currently. Waiting to hear back from All Star Glass to see if my insurance company is kosher with OEM replacement for $836, but I should be OK with "aftermarket" as long as is Pilkington.

On second thought, based on the previous posts, it sounds like if I want a genuine BMW rain sensor on the glass (which I do), then I must go with OEM, right?

I have a feeling that it's a crap shoot with All Star whereas if I go with the installer the dealer has recommended (AGS Autoglass), I'm more likely to get someone who knows what they're doing. As you can imagine, I've very hesitant to let just anyone work on my car!

Thoughts, comments???
(SOLD) 2003 BMW M3 Coupe
(SOLD) 2006 MINI Cooper S Conv.
(SOLD) 2003 MINI Cooper

Last edited by TigerDave; Tue, Dec-01-2009 at 07:24:58 PM.
Jump to top TigerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-01-2009, 08:57:00 PM   #48
John_T
Ad Hoc

Reputation: 45 John_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_T has a reputation beyond repute

United States

I just know one thing. A week ago I was cruising on the Autobahn around 90 mph when a cement flagstone fell off some vehicle in front of me, hit the road and broke into big hunks that then slammed into my windshield with quite some force. I thought I was done for, expected the worse, but saw the windshield actually deflect and throw them off. Pits, deep scratches, but it did not break. I pulled off at the next exit and thanked my lucky stars and BMW for that windshield.

OEM for me, period. My comprehensive covers me for a new windshield of my choice at my installer, which will be BMW for both. It's not only the glass, it is also competent installation. Don't cut corners where it might cost your life.
Old Tue, Dec-01-2009, 09:31:23 PM   #49
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

actually you can reuse the rain sensors on our cars. its the rain sensor holder on the oem glass which should not be reused. just use an oem brand (aftermarket) glass that already has the rain sensor holder/cover affixed to the glass.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-01-2009, 09:57:26 PM   #50
TigerDave

In the garage:

United States

John_T: Wow, that IS amazing! I too have noticed that my windshield had deflected numerous rocks that would have cracked windshields on previous cars I've owned. Guess last week's event was just too much for it to handle. I'm guessing that the OEM glass is software which allows it to flex more versus cracking, while at the same time being more susceptible to pitting.

daytonaviolet: My research tells me that the OEM rain sensor windshield comes with the sensor mounted from the factory. That's the only way you're going to get it on there without any air bubbles.

Either way, I've decided that I'm going with OEM all the way.
(SOLD) 2003 BMW M3 Coupe
(SOLD) 2006 MINI Cooper S Conv.
(SOLD) 2003 MINI Cooper
Jump to top TigerDave is offline   Reply With Quote