BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 10:31:34 PM   #1
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Default Black cube trim

After giving up on restoring certain things, i am going with new trim. Am I nuts or does this look better than zcp trim?
Pricing is surprisingly reasonable too. Anyone know if that's a recent change or has it always been in this range?
200 for the armrest, 386 for the three dash pieces. Wondering if I should jump on these before prices unexplicably soar like they did for the speaker covers haha.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 11:06:47 PM   #2
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Black cube trim

Not sure if you are linking pictures, but nothing is showing up if you did. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the cubed trim. If I am being honest (I'm sure I am in the minority here), the ONLY trim that I really like for this car is brushed aluminum. It just looks so timeless and premium. Personally, it makes all the other trim options look like cheap plastic. If I couldn't have brushed aluminum, I'd likely look for real carbon fiber trim, or maybe Alcantara wrapped. Piano black doesn't look bad, but it also just looks like shiny painted plastic. The Brushed aluminum feels solid and like it would be found on a car like an Aston Martin, and it doesn't 'creak' or bubble like the cheaper plastic trim options.

For me, brushed aluminum is the only choice.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 11:18:35 PM   #3
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Not sure if you are linking pictures, but nothing is showing up if you did. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the cubed trim. If I am being honest (I'm sure I am in the minority here), the ONLY trim that I really like for this car is brushed aluminum. It just looks so timeless and premium. Personally, it makes all the other trim options look like cheap plastic. If I couldn't have brushed aluminum, I'd likely look for real carbon fiber trim, or maybe Alcantara wrapped. Piano black doesn't look bad, but it also just looks like shiny painted plastic. The Brushed aluminum feels solid and like it would be found on a car like an Aston Martin, and it doesn't 'creak' or bubble like the cheaper plastic trim options.

Brushed aluminum definitely looks the best to me as well. Has that classy yet distinctive look that catches the eye. The finish doesn’t just look like some spray painted trim like the rest do. Looks best with cinnamon and Imola interiors. I prefer piano black trims on black or grey interiors.

Black cube is interesting but from a distance it just looks like black trim with a lot of lint. Looks kind of dirty.
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 11:25:42 PM   #4
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Brushed aluminum definitely looks the best to me as well. Has that classy yet distinctive look that catches the eye. The finish doesn’t just look like some spray painted trim like the rest do. Looks best with cinnamon and Imola interiors. I prefer piano black trims on black or grey interiors.

Black cube is interesting but from a distance it just looks like black trim with a lot of lint. Looks kind of dirty.
I know what you mean on the dirty look. That is what I'm afraid of too but think in person it might look great. I love the brushed look but I tried it on mine and it completely clashes with the exterior steel grey, black looks much much better which is why I am leaning towards it. I'll probably have imola seats and door panels at some point too so I think that would be a fantastic combo.
As far as carbon fiber, would love a matte finish one like the Ducati trim pieces but no one makes them and i detest overlays.

Last edited by icecream; Tue, Nov-14-2017 at 11:39:47 PM.
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 11:34:25 PM   #5
PSUEng

United States

I love the black cube--go for it.
Jump to top PSUEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 12:29:06 AM   #6
e46IX

Canada

ZHP / M-Tech black cube is nice. Its a real piece of aluminum but used pieces tend to be pretty mangled by now especially the armrest portion. Thankfully its not difficult to refinish them with some sandpaper and a rattlecan I believe theres a thread on ZHP Mafia showing that.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 12:53:36 AM   #7
legacyej25

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46IX View Post
ZHP / M-Tech black cube is nice. Its a real piece of aluminum but used pieces tend to be pretty mangled by now especially the armrest portion. Thankfully its not difficult to refinish them with some sandpaper and a rattlecan I believe theres a thread on ZHP Mafia showing that.
Another option is to try to find a euro market (ebay uk) one since those vehicles are RHD and the left side doesn't get much use.
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 12:55:18 AM   #8
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyej25 View Post
Another option is to try to find a euro market (ebay uk) one since those vehicles are RHD and the left side doesn't get much use.
Getting new pieces, too much OCD in me not to haha.
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 01:52:00 AM   #9
werfer

In the garage:

United States

I have the black cube trim. Looks great in person. Much nicer than my old brushed aluminum trim imo

WTB Black Manual Z4M Seats
Jump to top werfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 02:08:53 AM   #10
e46IX

Canada

Silver cube trim is even nicer IMO with black interior. I have it in my wagon.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote