BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 10:29:13 PM   #1
BeerHat

In the garage:

United States

Default ARP pressure plate bolt torque UUC lwfw

Hey guys. Anyone happen to know if the UUC aluminum flywheel threads will take 50ft lbs?

Reason I ask, I had the flywheel and pressure plate balanced together at a local race shop (and yes, they did have to make some balance adjustments), but, since I hadn't taken my car apart yet, I bought some ARP pressure plate bolts so they could assemble it on the balancer.

So, now I have the car apart, and I'm reassembling everything.

UUC instructions say torque to only 15ft lbs, but the ARP paper says 50ft lbs for these bolts. I've already put them in at 15-ish lbs with red-loctite. But, I gotta say, 15 didn't feel adequate enough to my gut. But I also don't want to put too much pressure on the flywheel threads either.

Thoughts?

Dan
Jump to top BeerHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 10:46:07 PM   #2
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: ARP pressure plate bolt torque UUC lwfw

You sure you are not mixing up flywheel vs. pressure plate?
50 lbs. sounds like way too much for pressure plate. I think it is around 18 lbs. but Bentley, or UUC, is your friend here.
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 10:55:17 PM   #3
BeerHat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
50 lbs. sounds like way too much for pressure plate. I think it is around 18 lbs. but Bentley, or UUC, is your friend here.
Nope, the paper that came in the little bag clearly states "Pressure Plate Bolt Installation" for M10 (with ARP lube) = 50ft-lbs.

Maybe I am overthinking it, and just crank to 20 or so and call it a day.

Wouldn't be so paranoid if catastrophe wasn't in the balance.
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 11:11:43 PM   #4
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHat View Post
Nope, the paper that came in the little bag clearly states "Pressure Plate Bolt Installation" for M10 (with ARP lube) = 50ft-lbs.

Maybe I am overthinking it, and just crank to 20 or so and call it a day.

Wouldn't be so paranoid if catastrophe wasn't in the balance.
If it is an aluminum PP, you run the risk of stripping the threads. 15 lbs. is likely to prevent that from happening. Good luck!
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 11:14:59 PM   #5
Braymond141

United States

You're mixed up somewhere. Pressure plate bolts are M8 thread and flywheel bolts are M12. ARP doesn't make any BMW specific pressure plate bolts and how likely is it that you think they will take into account you using an aftermarket aluminum flywheel?

Why are you not just using factory bolts here? I see no reason to consider ARP. You also want a bolt with thread locker on it (blue) as BMW intended and especially with anything UUC (seriously good luck with that).

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts

Last edited by Braymond141; Sun, Nov-12-2017 at 11:19:35 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 11:17:59 PM   #6
BeerHat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
So I dug out my Bentley, appears grade 8 (10.9) bolts are 25ft-lbs. Stock 8.8 bolts are 18ft-lbs. I set my torque wrench to 25 and it feels like i'm just over. I think I should be ok, at least in terms of the bolt strength. It's the aluminum threads and deformation I'm more concerned with.

The diameter is M8 on these ARP's, NOT M10 like I was thinking, so I think I'm all good at 25-ish + or - a few ft lbs.

Dan
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 11:22:39 PM   #7
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHat View Post
So I dug out my Bentley, appears grade 8 (10.9) bolts are 25ft-lbs. Stock 8.8 bolts are 18ft-lbs. I set my torque wrench to 25 and it feels like i'm just over. I think I should be ok, at least in terms of the bolt strength. It's the aluminum threads and deformation I'm more concerned with.

The diameter is M8 on these ARP's, NOT M10 like I was thinking, so I think I'm all good at 25-ish + or - a few ft lbs.

Dan
No lube & blue Loctite as Braymond pointed out is the correct way for BMW. 25 lbs is too much but damage, if any, is probably already done..
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 11:27:45 PM   #8
BeerHat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
You're mixed up somewhere. Pressure plate bolts are M8 thread and flywheel bolts are M12. ARP doesn't make any BMW specific pressure plate bolts and how likely is it that you think they will take into account you using an aftermarket aluminum flywheel?

Why are you not just using factory bolts here? I see no reason to consider ARP. You also want a bolt with thread locker on it (blue) as BMW intended and especially with anything UUC (seriously good luck with that).
Hey Braymond

Yeah I bought the M5/flywheel conversion a few years ago, just now getting around to install.

I read after I bought it that they kinda had a bad rap with their 'blue-flywheels of death'. I took this as, some probably weren't being balanced/trued properly as UUC described. Which is why I took my combo in for dynamic balancing to ensure everything was true. And I'm glad I did. I can post pics of the machine shop work that was done, seemed excessive for a flywheel that was 'properly' balanced already. In the end, I've got a true'd flywheel. So as long as the surface is solid, I think it should be ok. I used the ARP bolts mainly because that's what the combo was balanced with. Higher strength was the added bonus I suppose.

Dan
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 11:36:53 PM   #9
BeerHat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
No lube & blue Loctite as Braymond pointed out is the correct way for BMW. 25 lbs is too much but damage, if any, is probably already done..
For the material, I'm not entirely convinced there's a whole hell much difference between 18 and even 30 ft lbs for that matter. It's not too much more on the arm, and figures are typically always an as-close-to approximation anyway.

LOL, I suppose we'll see. The red loctite is probably already set up, so I'm not going to get an accurate measurement at this point.

Dan
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 11:53:37 PM   #10
Braymond141

United States

Well hopefully it works out for you. I ran the 8.5lb flywheel for several years.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote