BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Nov-09-2017, 11:09:07 PM   #1
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

Default Anywhere sell the vanos valve body?

Looking through the ETK I stt that BMW doesn't sell the Vanos Solenoid pack and vlave body anymore. Is there a place that still sells this?
I looked at Dr Vanos and Beisan but that's just the solenoid packs (already done) and then the whole unit rebuilt with a new BMW solenoid pack+valave body?

My car's issues seem to me to be more like a vavle body as this after I clean it works great for a while. But then comes back to idle issue after it heats up. Next day or a few hrs later it's fine.

If it were a broken hub it should stick at advanced timing/or retarded timing. I have done the valve body gasket rings over a year ago and rebuilt Beisan solenoid and that worked for about 2 years until this last hot summer. That's why I'm guessing (codes and symptoms) are the aluminum valve body?
-SANS SUNROOF-
Jump to top OldFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-09-2017, 11:20:10 PM   #2
rpearl555
So Shiny So Chrome

United States

Default Re: Anywhere sell the vanos valve body?

Raj with Beisan sells cleaned valve bodies
Jump to top rpearl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-09-2017, 11:43:35 PM   #3
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFanatic View Post
Looking through the ETK I stt that BMW doesn't sell the Vanos Solenoid pack and vlave body anymore. Is there a place that still sells this?
I looked at Dr Vanos and Beisan but that's just the solenoid packs (already done) and then the whole unit rebuilt with a new BMW solenoid pack+valave body?

My car's issues seem to me to be more like a vavle body as this after I clean it works great for a while. But then comes back to idle issue after it heats up. Next day or a few hrs later it's fine.

If it were a broken hub it should stick at advanced timing/or retarded timing. I have done the valve body gasket rings over a year ago and rebuilt Beisan solenoid and that worked for about 2 years until this last hot summer. That's why I'm guessing (codes and symptoms) are the aluminum valve body?
Have you researched the codes? What codes do you have? Did you check your hub to see if tabs are intact? You say idle issues after it heats up, could be some heatsink issue. You sure it's vanos related and not maf/air leak/fuel pump/etc?
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 06:56:45 AM   #4
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

of the three codes, one is:
"[022] Exhaust Vanos, advance valve"

then the usual misfire codes
-SANS SUNROOF-

Last edited by OldFanatic; Sun, Nov-19-2017 at 10:46:45 PM.
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 01:30:23 PM   #5
Zroman610

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFanatic View Post
of the three codes, one is:
"Exhaust Vanos, advance valve"

then the usual misfire codes

I guess you could rule out timing because it has been running fine for two years correct? Did you replace the oil disc when you replaced the seals? I had an issue with the redrilled oil disc giving me slow response times and making it throw code p0014. Now have the stock oil disc back in and runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Zroman610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 09:39:45 PM   #6
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zroman610 View Post
I guess you could rule out timing because it has been running fine for two years correct? Did you replace the oil disc when you replaced the seals? I had an issue with the redrilled oil disc giving me slow response times and making it throw code p0014. Now have the stock oil disc back in and runs great.
only replaced the O-rings for the plate that's between the valve body and solenoid pack. not the upper vanos section. and replaced black solenoid pack with Beisan rebuilt a while ago and fixed it for well over 2 years.
for the record working with Beisan was an extremely positive experence. he really is a great guy and very professional.
-SANS SUNROOF-
Old Thu, Nov-16-2017, 03:12:49 AM   #7
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

anyone else have suggestions or a similar predicament...
-SANS SUNROOF-
Old Thu, Nov-16-2017, 03:35:50 AM   #8
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

With as much experience as I have had over the last few months with my personal VANOS, I wish I could contribute...but truthfully, I wouldn't trust myself to give any sort of VANOS diagnosis based on what you are experiencing. I suggest sending Dafoe a PM. He is the forum VANOS guru after all. I know you have been driving the car for 2 years, but are you absolutely positive timing is perfect and not possibly just a tinge off? Man, I hate the abundance of VANOS threads that pop up -- talk about disheartening. This system is such a finicky b!tch to get perfect, it would seem.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-16-2017, 04:50:40 AM   #9
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

OP, if you contact Dafoe via PM, please post steps to fix here for folks to follow on the thread (unless Dafoe chimes in here) .

I've done vanos and can walk you through how to do the bullet-proofing/put timing together (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=593360), but I never dealt with trouble shooting or specific codes and fixes for those.

I know some have success taking apart the vanos and valves and cleaning them from grime/oil, then putting it back together and it working fine. Not sure of your issue/code.

Would be great for the community to learn!

Last edited by mrgizmo04; Thu, Nov-16-2017 at 04:57:44 AM.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-16-2017, 03:18:46 PM   #10
MrVond
The Phanto///M

In the garage:

United States

i had DTC 184 & 185 when i did mine, which meant that the vanos was not working for both cams.(http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=589550)

it was indeed a dirty valve Body. I soaked it gas for 30 mins, redid the timing and it ran fine after that