BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Nov-09-2017, 09:08:16 PM   #1
bmw m3 s50
Why So Serious ? :}

Portugal

Default OEM cats vs Euro Cats vs CSL Cats vs ALL other cats

I have searched on this site extensively, and get mixed information. I wanted to establish the Cell count in the different types of cats available for the e46 BMW m3.

My understanding the:

USA bmw m3 cats located in the headers are 400 or 200 cell cats

Euro bmw m3 cats located in section 1 is 200 cell cats

CSL bmw m3 cats located in section 1 is 200 or 100 cell cats

Supersprint HJS bmw m3 cats located in section 1 is 200 or 100 cell cats

AA tuning bmw m3 cats located in section 1 is 100 cells

Does anyone have confirmation on the cell counts in the cats?

I am aware that BMW oem cats are made by HJS, only thing is the difference in cell count.

So two additional questions:

The question is what cell count would be needed to get rid of the fuel smell from exhaust?

Would running cats on a supercharged application last or would blow out easily?

And please actual facts to back up the claims either having run the type of cats on your car or actually have seen information on the topic and can lead to the source.
Jump to top bmw m3 s50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-09-2017, 09:34:51 PM   #2
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: OEM cats vs Euro Cats vs CSL Cats vs ALL other cats

All the OE cats are 200 cell. Euro and CSL are located in section 1. CSL cats are marginally lighter. The cell density is easily verified just by looking at the actual catalyst material. I don't know the cell density of the SuperSprint HJS cats (I think HJS generally makes 200 cell cats though).

BMW cats aren't made by HJS. But HJS cats may very well be made by the same supplier of the OE cats.

What makes OE (and HJS) special compared to the other aftermarket options out there is the platinum content. Something like a 5-10x difference compared to the magnaflow cats you'll find in most solution. OE cats can go strong for 300k+ miles, while the magnaflow cats will probably last closer to 30k.
Old Thu, Nov-09-2017, 11:40:30 PM   #3
M3 dude

Australia

what i understand also.
metallic substrates are preferred due to being more durable, and then the material content (where most of the cost lies) also affects how well the cat does its job.

regarding cell count, 100 cell cats are basically a formality, as their efficiency is quite low. a well designed 200 cell cat wont yield much in terms of flow to a straight pipe.

unless the engine is pumping much more air, there is little point in uprating the sec 1 cats.
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 02:29:59 AM   #4
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

Not sure if this question belongs here, but Iíve wondered what benefit euro headers with euro catted sec. 1 have over usa catted headers and single resonated sec. 1. How can you make any more power if you are just flip flopping where the cats are? Especially if they are the same cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Joshe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 02:56:16 AM   #5
NZ_M3

Cats installed on post March 2005 EU cars are all CSL cats despite different part numbers.

ie 18307836508 = 18307833673

Both weigh the same and is in everyway identical except for the part number sticker and both have the figure 8 bracket rather than the welded brackets for the pipes
Jump to top NZ_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 03:08:58 AM   #6
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshe46 View Post
Not sure if this question belongs here, but Iíve wondered what benefit euro headers with euro catted sec. 1 have over usa catted headers and single resonated sec. 1. How can you make any more power if you are just flip flopping where the cats are? Especially if they are the same cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proximity to headers especially at that point where the exhaust collects I would imagine makes a big difference. The exhaust further down is cooler and probably flows smoother and passes the cat easier if I had to guess.
If they are the same cell count which I still doubt then I may just cuts the cats off the headers and relocate to section one after my header install. Why not eh?
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 03:40:51 AM   #7
usdmej

United States

what has confused me in the past is some people combine the cell counts of their cats

ex. someone with 100 cell race cats will say they are selling 200cell cats because you are getting (2) 100 cell cat converters
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 03:49:22 AM   #8
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdmej View Post
what has confused me in the past is some people combine the cell counts of their cats

ex. someone with 100 cell race cats will say they are selling 200cell cats because you are getting (2) 100 cell cat converters
Which is simply wrong, since CPI is "Cells Per square Inch" - that's not going to change no matter how many cats you have. Furthermore, that also shows that you can't just compare two 200 CPI cats and call them equal. OE cats for example tend to be physically much larger, so there's more catalyst material even at the same density.
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 05:01:59 AM   #9
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
Proximity to headers especially at that point where the exhaust collects I would imagine makes a big difference. The exhaust further down is cooler and probably flows smoother and passes the cat easier if I had to guess.

If they are the same cell count which I still doubt then I may just cuts the cats off the headers and relocate to section one after my header install. Why not eh?

That makes sense! I donít see why not if you have the fabrication skills lol
Jump to top Joshe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 06:18:17 AM   #10
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
Wouldn't that just be a euro setup? No cats on headers, cats on section 1?

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote