BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 04:44:17 AM   #1
roverstuff
all kinds of stuff

United States

Default 900 mile road trip?

So I am considering taking my car (lowered '06 ZCP) on a little road trip this weekend... 900 miles round trip from NC to the middle of nowhere PA and back. 7hrs each way. 🤤

My CSL replica bumper was just painted a few months ago and has a single, solitary, microscopic chip in the perfectly matched paint...

I literally just put new headlamp lenses on it yesterday...

It obviously has no cruise control...

Is this an insane idea? If this happens, it's going down in 48 hours so no time to get clear bra done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jump to top roverstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 04:54:02 AM   #2
brandroidian

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 900 mile road trip?

Not insane, but your bumper will surely have a few scars from the trip. Keep a good distance from the cars in front of you or lead the pack to minimize rock chips.
Drive and enjoy your car, road trips are a good thing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Jump to top brandroidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 04:54:57 AM   #3
lmtfi

United States

Insane? I wouldn't even call it odd.

Have your spare coil and a bottle of oil - and just drive. Its not as if you are going to outer space.
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 05:07:08 AM   #4
rovert604

Canada

I drive my car 12 hours one way on the highway without flinching. Get her all rock chipped up. You can fix it again and properly XPEL Ultimate it after if youíre OCD like me. Itís a ride worth experiencing from the inside cruising, rather than staring at it from the outside parked.
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 06:32:43 AM   #5
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Maintenance up to date? Then no issue. This car is best and most fun on road trips.
If I had to think twice about a drive like that, I wouldn’t want to own the car.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 09:02:13 AM   #6
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

LOL...7 hrs? That is nothing. Enjoy the ride.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 12:26:08 PM   #7
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
Insane? I wouldn't even call it odd.

Have your spare coil and a bottle of oil - and just drive. Its not as if you are going to outer space.
Agreed with everything you said. I keep a little 'essential tool kit' and OBD scanner in my trunk as well just for peace-of-mind, and maybe even a spare tire if you have one, for long trips. OP, if you are worried about rock chips, throw some painters tape over the front end and maybe some clear packing tape over the headlight lenses. It might not look pretty, but who cares. You can always remove it and retape it if you plan to stop to take pictures along the way.

I wouldn't worry about not having cruise control. Truthfully, in all my years of driving I can probably count on 1 hand the amount of times I've used it in any of my cars. It's a feature that at this point I forget that I have. In fact, I don't think i have ever used CC in my M3, LOL. For long drives, it always makes me feel more inclined to zone out or worse, fall asleep from the monotony of long boring interstate driving. Maybe I should have purchased a ZCP.

Enjoy the drive!

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 12:38:09 PM   #8
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Please, cruise control is the "I see a cop and need to go the speed limit for a bit" button

900 miles is nothing if your maintenance is up to date. That's pretty much what I drive mine every week, and I've done a 6000 mile trip without any abnormal considerations beyond a spare tire.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 06:00:05 PM   #9
roverstuff
all kinds of stuff

United States

Well I still have not committed to this just yet. I set out this morning to try and buy some 3M "paint defender" spray as I don't have enough time to get in with my clear bra guy. Struck out with the 3M but found some rustoleum version of plasti dip... not sure I want to do that either.

Cruise control won't bother me much, more than anything I was curious if there would be a bunch of you saying the car would be uncomfortable on long trips... which I see none of, so that's a good sign.

Already got toolkit and all that set up. Radar detector in as always and E-Zpass mounted behind the grille. Thought I had a spare from a 325iT in storage but I can't find it. Oh well. I have some 15in wheelies from a e36 but I don't see that wheel clearing the brakes so it will be up to pothole avoidance skill, maybe some luck, and lastly the good old AAA card if things get weird.

Jump to top roverstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 06:07:43 PM   #10
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverstuff View Post
Well I still have not committed to this just yet. I set out this morning to try and buy some 3M "paint defender" spray as I don't have enough time to get in with my clear bra guy. Struck out with the 3M but found some rustoleum version of plasti dip... not sure I want to do that either.

Cruise control won't bother me much, more than anything I was curious if there would be a bunch of you saying the car would be uncomfortable on long trips... which I see none of, so that's a good sign.

Already got toolkit and all that set up. Radar detector in as always and E-Zpass mounted behind the grille. Thought I had a spare from a 325iT in storage but I can't find it. Oh well. I have some 15in wheelies from a e36 but I don't see that wheel clearing the brakes so it will be up to pothole avoidance skill, maybe some luck, and lastly the good old AAA card if things get weird.

Why not just blue painter's tape it? Seems like plastidip would be a PITA to remove if you don't spray it on thick enough. Then just throw on some clear packing tape over your new headlight lens? Likely cheaper and easier to remove and reapply if you want to take picture.

Something like this.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote