BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 02:02:27 AM   #21
RT Cockburn

Finland

Default Re: On the hunt for a newer DD to pair with my E36..Interested in Opinions

Totally heard you on the MT. Good luck with the car search and remember to drive the e36M every once in a while so it doesn't spoil!

'97 Hellrot
Jump to top RT Cockburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 02:09:10 AM   #22
twentyseven
I probably hate your car

United States

Default Re: On the hunt for a newer DD to pair with my E36..Interested in Opinions

F30 or truck/SUV. With that budget you shouldn't get something more than 5 years old, and what's the point of having overlap with two M3's again?

The whole point of a daily is to do the job better than what you're substituting it with...

'99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo, TCK DA, Rallyroad Brembo BBK, Recaro SRD, ZF 6spd, BMW Traffic Pro 4771, ZKW FX-R
Jump to top twentyseven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 03:01:39 AM   #23
pbonsalb

I would not get a DD that isn't fun to drive. If you are going to be driving it a lot, you should enjoy it. If not, sell the E36 and put the proceeds towards one car that is fun to drive.

And I see no issue with having a newer M3 and your older one. Any non E36M3 will be very different from the E36 Me, which was actually the least M3 of all (just a warmed over E36 328i). The only issue with the M3s is that they are the most expensive 3 series so the budget may not allow another.

Last edited by pbonsalb; Wed, Nov-01-2017 at 04:02:06 AM.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 02:22:37 PM   #24
wgknestrick

In the garage:

United States

Used Lexus IS350 AWD is my suggestion. They are great cars and about a 8/10 in everything. I would've bought one instead of the 335 if they were cheaper used back 3 years ago.

This suggestion below may be out of place, but I purchase specific cars that are designed for specific needs. No 1 car is great at everything IMO.

If you need space and drive a lot of miles, the 2017+ hybrid Rav4 is a great vehicle too assuming you still keep the E36 for fun driving. New Rav4 chassis is surprisingly "Subaru" with it's driving feel (I have a non hybrid model). Don't underestimate how great it is to have a car you don't think about and get in and drive. Never have to replace brakes either. Toyota's hybrid cars just take a double din HU Android auto upgrade, oil, tires, and a little bit of gas to keep them on the road. 100K miles on a hybrid is also equivalent to about 60-70K miles on a normal engine. They just don't run or stress the engine as much. Yes, I am a car guy and totally get and love the Prius and Toyota's hybrid system. That power-train is the best of the best for commuting in traffic where you can't enjoy a performance car. These cars will be the only ones left running after the apocalypse.
Jump to top wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 05:37:10 PM   #25
lcrain

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I would not get a DD that isn't fun to drive. If you are going to be driving it a lot, you should enjoy it. If not, sell the E36 and put the proceeds towards one car that is fun to drive.
I will second this. I bought a f150 as a daily about 10 months ago. I need a tow vehicle (racecar bro) and my rational at the time was to buy a nice truck that could be daily driven. Driving it is a soul sucking experience, but it does serve its purpose well. So I did what anyone would do in my shoes and bought a second e36 m3 that I will drive occasionally to lessen the suck. So now I have an expensive truck that serves a need in my life, an e36 that cannot be street driven and now a second e36 that can.

All of this is to say, a dull daily for a car enthusiast will get driven less if that is an option.
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-02-2017, 01:25:52 PM   #26
wgknestrick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Another vote for the CTS-V. Had an '11 and sold it for $34 a year ago. They will come down more still in the next few years, then I think the prices will stabilize as there are rumors that Caddy will drop the V line. It's a super fun car to drive and after the SC recall and rear end diff recall, it was bulletproof. Even before, those parts were fine and what a track car!!!
Aren't they pretty thirsty for a DD?
Jump to top wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-02-2017, 01:59:24 PM   #27
Double E
Double E

United States

Another vote for the CTS-V. Had an '11 and sold it for $34 a year ago. They will come down more still in the next few years, then I think the prices will stabilize as there are rumors that Caddy will drop the V line. It's a super fun car to drive and after the SC recall and rear end diff recall, it was bulletproof. Even before, those parts were fine and what a track car!!!
Plus the ctsvowners forum has to be, hands down, one of the best vehicle owner's forums in the world.
Old Thu, Nov-02-2017, 05:06:13 PM   #28
tsmith25

United States

I have always had a thing for the CTS-V sport wagon. I like the idea of one of those or an e92 335is or M3 I would consider a dct if i got the m3. That's my short list whenever I can afford to get another car to supplement the e36. Our next car purchase is going to be a mid to late 2000's Subaru outback. At that point I might start commuting some days in our beater 1998 honda cr-v till it dies or we donate it or something.
Jump to top tsmith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-02-2017, 05:52:46 PM   #29
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

There are definitely a lot more options if you aren't concerned with snow and/or ice.

For me, I need a daily that can handle all conditions. I'm not going to drive a RWD car up to the mountains for a weekend, even if it does have the best snow tires money can buy.
Old Thu, Nov-02-2017, 06:02:55 PM   #30
Braymond141

United States

328d
X5d

Both are shockingly very good, reliable and fast.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote