BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 07:17:13 PM   #11
cwsly

United States

Default Re: Intro/M3 Build Journal

Lots of people on here trash talk the BC's, are they the best? Not by a long shot. But they're not nearly as bad as people make them out to be IMO. I have them on my GTO, and have been very happy with them for the price.

Eventually I want to spend money on a nice GC kit, but as much money as I'm putting into this car right now, I can't afford 2k+ on coilovers. But at the same time, I'm not going to refresh the suspension and put 200k mile stock stuff back in either. BC's seem like a good temp solution, and I can resell them down the line to some stance kid and recoup most of my money if I end up hating them.

1999 ///M3 - Cosmosschwarz over Mulberry
Jump to top cwsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 07:21:05 PM   #12
westopher

Canada

That's the thing though, they might be great on another car, but they are regarded as not for the e36. Bilstien makes some of the best shocks available for any car, but put a set of bilstein sports on your e36 and your door panels will fall off by the end of the day.
Look into the ISC coils.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 07:29:15 PM   #13
cwsly

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
That's the thing though, they might be great on another car, but they are regarded as not for the e36. Bilstien makes some of the best shocks available for any car, but put a set of bilstein sports on your e36 and your door panels will fall off by the end of the day.
Look into the ISC coils.
Very good point.

I looked into the ISC coils, I hadn't seen or heard of them until now. I like the price point on them a lot. Do you know the difference between them and the BC's? At a glance they seem very similar.

Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 07:44:09 PM   #14
westopher

Canada

I'm honestly not sure as both are hearsay for me. You should search for some forum opinions or hopefully someone will post in here. I just know in my search long ago I came across a higher percentage of positive opinions for the ISCs so hoped I could send you in the right direction. Although they seem to have a lot less people out there with them than the BCs. I went with KW v1s and am happy with my decision but they do have WAY less adjustability. I found them great out of the box so wasn't bothered.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 07:52:31 PM   #15
cwsly

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'm honestly not sure as both are hearsay for me. You should search for some forum opinions or hopefully someone will post in here. I just know in my search long ago I came across a higher percentage of positive opinions for the ISCs so hoped I could send you in the right direction. Although they seem to have a lot less people out there with them than the BCs. I went with KW v1s and am happy with my decision but they do have WAY less adjustability. I found them great out of the box so wasn't bothered.
I've been looking more into the ISC's, and I'm thinking you're right. I was reading vendor sites, but on ISC's own website they show that they offer different valving options and nicer top mount design than BC, along with adjustability at a great price. I appreciate the advice, looks like ISC will most likely be the route I go with.

Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 11:42:50 PM   #16
betrezra

United States

Great project. Love your prior projects
Im going through my own adopt an m3 project by daily driving craigslist find and working bugs out daily.
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 04:29:17 PM   #17
cwsly

United States

I'm about to pull the trigger on the coilovers, any final advice before I hit buy?

Mostly interested in spring rates... I prefer a tail happy car, and I want to keep it soft enough to be comfortable as a daily. I would like it stiffer than stock, but not a track car. It'll be using stock sway bars for the time being.

I'm leaning towards 400F/500R? I wouldn't mind dipping slightly softer in the front, and then upgrading the front sway bar later on. I don't particularly want to go with any stiffer than 500 in the rear. Judging that ISC is made by BC, the springs will most likely lose 1k of spring rate in the first 6 months or so as they settle, so I'm also keeping that in mind.

Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 06:30:42 PM   #18
cwsly

United States

It's been a while since I've checked in here, but I finally have some updates worth talking about!

First things first... The old Vader's had to go. I finally got my nice set back from upholstery, and tossed them in along with some MUCH needed deep cleaning of the carpet. They're far from perfect, but WOW, what a difference they made! Not only do they look amazing, but they are much more comfortable and supportive than the last set. These are also manual adjust, which I was skeptical about but I actually like far more than the power seats after using them. Next up for the interior will be refreshing the door panels (again) along with installing a Bavsound system, and installing my Euro steering wheel.

Next up, I ended up blowing a power steering hose... That was annoying. But it forced me to finally fix my leaky power steering hoses, and stop having to leave cardboard under my car for good! Except it didn't... Turns out it's a leaky rack after all. Meh.

But for good news, I replaced all of my 190k mile steering components with new OEM stuff and it's absolutely amazing. New LCA's, FCAB's, new inner and outer tie rods, and new end links. I also ended up with a set of brand new BC coilovers for half off, (a deal I couldn't pass up) so I threw them on as well. All I can say is wow, the car rides smoother, handling is sharper and more predictable, no more swaying back and forth on the highway, etc.

As for the BC's, I'll keep you updated. So far they feel far better than what they replaced (I know, not saying much), but I'm happy. I notice a little bit of bounce from them now and then, hopefully I can tune it out with some preload tweaking. If not, no big deal. It doesn't bother me that much, and the car is still on daily driver mode so they serve my purpose well enough.

Anyway... Onto the pics!

Here's how the car sits currently. A little low for my taste, but it might grow on me. If not, I'll be raising it about 1/2" all the way around. Thoughts?

That's it for now... Let me know what you think. I'll check in soon with a few more updates as they happen.

Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 07:05:24 PM   #19
zhp43867

United States

Looks great! That's what I think. That interior color is terrific when clean (as it is now).

I would raise it half an inch. It'll ride better, look better and be easier to live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tock172
Yeah, we get it. Everyone has the inalienable right to be a total ****ing idiot.
Jump to top zhp43867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 08:19:31 PM   #20
cwsly

United States

Thanks! I still have much more in store, but she's coming along. I'm with you on ride height. Doesn't really scrape on anything, but I think it'll look a little nicer. It's a bit too "stanced" for me now.