BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Jan-30-2017, 08:08:03 PM   #21
craac

United States

Default Re: My $8.8K 176K mile Craigslist E36M3 Journey Begins

Saw this car on CL. GL with the build, I loved mine on track shouldn't have sold it. I pretty much just focused on suspension, chassis reinforcements, and safety/weight loss. Engine was stock and surprised lots of much faster cars in the corners at COTA.

I would say skip the ls1 swap - you've already done the vette thing why turn a BMW into a vette? Swap in an s54 if you really want more power than the s52 can provide.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-31-2017, 01:12:22 AM   #22
betrezra

United States

Thanks for the warm welcome Gents.

I'm heading up to Vorshlag in Dallas late Feb for their open house, I hope to ride in an LSX E36/46 car...... that will affect my decision on what I do this this S52 mill.

I'll probably do some basic clean-up, r&r on the old S52:::: thinking new power steering pump/lines, possibly rack...... new alternator, new starter, tune up. Check valves.

Then work on suspension, brakes..... paint, body, interior, roll bar to start...... and get some seat time......

Then see where this madness goes.

My good buddy has a 16 GT3...... was hoping an LSX swap would get me closer to playing with his porch-eeeeeeee.

BTW - don't buy bimmer parts on fleabay.... ended up getting some knock-off bmw emblems.... so bad they don't even line up with the bolt-holes..... off by 5 degrees... LOL.
Crazy what people will copy these days.
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-31-2017, 02:07:45 AM   #23
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
Sq---- yep cota is my goal.. Will be cool to compare to my cota time in the c5z.. And the 507 c63.
I'll be there in May with NASA. If I end up buying an E36 by then, I'll probably track it instead of the E46.

Also, if you decide to get rid of the wheels, I may be interested. Need to get me an E36 first.
Old Tue, Jan-31-2017, 05:24:31 PM   #24
tripitz

United States

Quote:
My good buddy has a 16 GT3...... was hoping an LSX swap would get me closer to playing with his porch-eeeeeeee.
In my experience, most Porsche drivers with newer cars do not push them that hard on track. Let's just say that my previous M3 (1/2 track build) passed a lot of very high hp P-cars on track with stock power. The E36 platform, especially with a high-end track suspension (MCS for me) can really do some surprising things. A properly sorted full-track car should be able to destroy most street cars driven on track.
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-31-2017, 05:34:21 PM   #25
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome Gents.

I'm heading up to Vorshlag in Dallas late Feb for their open house, I hope to ride in an LSX E36/46 car...... that will affect my decision on what I do this this S52 mill.

I'll probably do some basic clean-up, r&r on the old S52:::: thinking new power steering pump/lines, possibly rack...... new alternator, new starter, tune up. Check valves.

Then work on suspension, brakes..... paint, body, interior, roll bar to start...... and get some seat time......

Then see where this madness goes.

BTW - don't buy bimmer parts on fleabay.... ended up getting some knock-off bmw emblems.... so bad they don't even line up with the bolt-holes..... off by 5 degrees... LOL.
Crazy what people will copy these days.
As in valve adjustment? No need on our S52s.

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-31-2017, 11:38:31 PM   #26
betrezra

United States

W// - good to know about the valve adj! Thx.

Tripiz - my buddy drives the heck out of his GT3..... it is in the shop quite a bit though.. limp mode issues.

SQ13 - I"ll keep you in mind if I sell the wheels.... I do like them for street duty.

Craac - I'm already getting used to the power in this car..... it really seemed faster in 40 deg F weather.... than today drive home in 80 Deg F. I"m sure DA affect HP/TQ..... I'll have to learn more about this engine mgt system..... suspect there is a engine coolant temp sensor and an air intake temp sensor dialing back timing as a function of temp...... also cooler good DA makes more HP...... it really seemed to SING up top in the 40 Deg weather last week.... not so much now.. Have to check plugs, wires, etc.....

Just got stock orange fr marker lights in... much better. New tail lights in much better.

A Co-worker was giving me shizzz about my new ride being a POS..... he has a new 911..... and does not track it for fear of wear and tear...... he is missing out.

On the LS..... I'll see what it looks like at Vorshlag in a few weeks..... if done in a clean/factory way...... I bet it is pretty nice setup. Don't want loud x-pipe sounds.... just a good 400 rwhp and low muffler tone....... more to come.
Old Wed, Feb-01-2017, 12:16:59 AM   #27
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

I just wrapped a lot of that stuff up, but I have yet to touch the motor.

I might do a dyno here soon and if the power is way off, I'll look into refreshing all of those goodies.

I'm excited to run this thing on track.

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-01-2017, 12:30:16 AM   #28
betrezra

United States

NH...cool man... I'll bench race ya when I get my base-line dyno in a few weeks. I honestly have no idea what this thing is putting down..... I've been in 400-500HP rides in the past 10 yrs... so not sure what this does.
Old Wed, Feb-01-2017, 12:35:55 AM   #29
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed, even more so on a Mustang "heartbreaker" dynamometer.

My car is 183k so I'm going to guess like a 15% power loss or so due to age.

Factory is 240/240 at the crank (240/236 for the anal diehard fan bois) so I'm guessing my car is like 204/204 or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M5...ican_Market.29

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-01-2017, 12:45:22 AM   #30
betrezra

United States

OK so my goal is 200/200 at the wheels.

on another note.... I have a strut tower brace..... but shutting the hood has put two dimples in the hood.... at the strut tower mounts towards the front on each side. Not a big deal as I'm going to have this repainted. BUT.... can you rec a good lower profile stut tower brace that will NOT dimple my hood? thx all. Not sure if this is a common issue.

I can take an air grinder to this brace.... but prefer to not do hack-saw mods just yet.