BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 04:58:21 AM   #41
GnarMach

United States

Default Re: E46 M3 Daily Drivers, have you considered another DD?

I plan on buying an E46 M3 soon as a daily driver. I'm not too concerned about the mileage, I just want something more comfortable than my current subaru (which is getting closer and closer to a fully prepped track car). I'm estimating that I'll get about the same gas mileage in the M3 as I do in the subaru.
Jump to top GnarMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 05:01:45 AM   #42
caliSTile

In the garage:

Considered a daily....Had the funds to get one after tax return.....Purchased more goodies for my e46 M.....Oh well.
| 2006 M3 Competition Package | Vorsteiner CF Bumper | Vorsteiner CF Race Lip | Vorsteiner CF Trunk | KW V2 | PowerFlex RTAB | CF Interior Trim | DDM Tuning Aluminum Pedals | K&N Intake 57 Series | Macht Schnell Spacers 15mm/F 10mm/R | Black Kidney Front/Side Grill | EAS Aurora Angel Eyes | Depo Smoked Corners | Valentine 1 | Dice Silverline |
Jump to top caliSTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 05:09:02 AM   #43
kk2
visor up for pleasure

United States

My e36 dd averages 19mpg...
Jump to top kk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 05:40:13 AM   #44
wuakeen

El Salvador

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
I don't understand why would someone spend thousands on an additional car, additional insurance and additional possible hassles just to save a few bucks on gas. Am I missing something?
Hey Kaiv! Need to get in touch with you in regards to Inspection II, I'll PM once I'm ready which should be soon.

Its not really saving the money on the gas but a bit more. I also own an Armada that my wife drives. That thing gets about 12 miles to the gallon, no joke. Don't want to sell it though as its a good "trip" car. My issue is both our commutes really. I drive in bumber to bumper traffic about 1hr each way every day. Having the M3 stuck in traffic is just no fun. Its rare when I can drive this thing with gusto. I just want a car I can driver 3-4 x's a week so to not put my M through so much stop & go traffic, spread the driving duties I suppose. The new DD was going to be shared between myself & wife as well. I guess I'll see most of the savings leaving the Armada at home & having the wife use the new DD 2-3 x's a week, myself use it 2-3 x's a week & M stays my weekend car.

I already have 3 cars (3rd car is my daughters) so adding 1 more would not be much more of a premium on my insurance, already confirmed. I was thinking of getting a bike but after seeing a few bad motorcycle wrecks, just don't want to chance it. This is just a thought for now, have yet to purchase anything. Who knows, I may just keep DD'ng my car as long as it lets me... Just wanted to get some feedback from others...
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 05:45:25 AM   #45
wuakeen

El Salvador

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarMach View Post
I plan on buying an E46 M3 soon as a daily driver. I'm not too concerned about the mileage, I just want something more comfortable than my current subaru (which is getting closer and closer to a fully prepped track car). I'm estimating that I'll get about the same gas mileage in the M3 as I do in the subaru.
Hmmm, in a yr or 2 I may just get an E92 & keep the E46 as a daily, who knows... Its not as cut & dry as I first thought. Wife suggested we just get her a 330 & call it a day. I think that may be good route to go as well. Oh well, thanks all for the input...
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 06:01:33 AM   #46
/M_Nobody

United States

A GTI might be a nice option or a miata. I have a 2004 Mazda3 for my wife. it gets always at least 30mpg/tank and they are less than $10k. I DD my M3 getting about 17-18MPG. Love walking out to it at the end of the day and driving home. MPG reflects driving style
Jump to top /M_Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 06:27:51 AM   #47
DavidFSU

In the garage:

United States

My reasoning to getting a $4000 DD is not only about gas. But it would slow down the depreciation of my M.

Driving the M less translates into a lower likelihood of something breaking on it (generally) which can get very very expensive. When a comparable part breaks on a $4000 civic it's a very small fraction of the price as it would be on the M.

Tallahassee roads are in absolute terrible condition. I feel like my M is getting brutally raped every time I drive it. Makes me cringe all the time driving on these roads. Wouldn't care all that much on $4k beater (like when I got my loaner from BMW when the M was in the shop. Had a lot of worry/care free fun in that little corolla).

Also, it would reduce the chance of door dings or random acts of vandalism for the M.

That's my reasoning at least for wanting a cheap DD.
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 06:32:55 AM   #48
K0nArtist

United States

I just got an E30 325es for DD. I love this thing.

Putting the IS bumpers, this car keeps me busy.

Last edited by K0nArtist; Wed, Mar-23-2011 at 06:41:07 AM.
Jump to top K0nArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 06:37:47 AM   #49
Gary Powers
Taking the long way home.

In the garage:

United States

Im looking to get a DD that will complement my m3 nicely. A clean 2001 e55 amg would be ideal.

Last edited by Gary Powers; Wed, Mar-23-2011 at 06:42:20 AM.
Jump to top Gary Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-23-2011, 06:41:47 AM   #50
RSRlover4life
donde esta mi pantalones?

United States

Have my 2006 C230 sport for this exact reason! Sips gas(gives me 25mpg city with aggressive driving, 29 casual), gives me the performance I want out of a daily, great engine sound(cold air intake, headers, filters, res delete exhaust) and looks great

I got 420 miles out of my last tank and the M is always clean for the weekends and ready to ride whenever I want

Keep in mind, its the M272 engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil97m3Blue View Post
Brah, AWD will make you dinner and file your taxes.
Jump to top RSRlover4life is offline   Reply With Quote