BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Nov-07-2017, 12:10:59 AM   #21
E30User

Default Re: SMG Long Gear Shifts

Have you done a search for Gear Position Sensor symptoms? The SMG FAQ thread says delayed shifts can be a symptom of a failing GPS.

However when my GPS failed, it was a bit more catastrophic than just having delayed shifts since I'd lose power and have to coast to a stop. Also, I had some codes that sounded specific to the GPS.

Here's my post from the SMG Faq thread:
Quote:
2004 M3 here. My first symptoms showed up when I'd shift from 2-3. I'd see 3 show up on the display, but then power would cut out and I don't think it ever went into gear. I'd coast to a stop and turn the engine off. The gear number was still showing. After a minute or two, I'd see the gear number disappear. At that point, I'd restart my car. and things will be fine again until the next time it happens. The last issue I had was switching from Reverse, to N, then 1st. After going neutral, it would not shift into first. Eventually it got into first after some waiting and restarting. I'm pretty sure that I'd only see the problems show up after changing gears. For example, if I get into 1st, I can usually drive around on that if I don't shift to something else.
As for the pump, I always hear it priming when I unlock the car. As far as I can tell, it sounds the same as when things were working.

Sometimes when listening to the pump prime, I'd hear it end with a few thumping sounds. Here is what Autoenginuity game me:

37 - Shift Path (Gear) Position Sensor Evaluation
Fault Frequency: 41

58 - Not able to take out of gear
Fault Frequency: 48

37 - Selector Angle (WW) Position Sensor Evaluation
Fault Frequency: 54
The next post was another member confirming that their GPS failed the same way and had the same codes. So it's hard to say with certainty if your GPS is the problem since you didn't mention those codes, but maybe others had experiences more similar to yours.
Jump to top E30User is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-07-2017, 03:12:14 AM   #22
04yfz

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30User View Post
Have you done a search for Gear Position Sensor symptoms? The SMG FAQ thread says delayed shifts can be a symptom of a failing GPS.

However when my GPS failed, it was a bit more catastrophic than just having delayed shifts since I'd lose power and have to coast to a stop. Also, I had some codes that sounded specific to the GPS.

Here's my post from the SMG Faq thread:

The next post was another member confirming that their GPS failed the same way and had the same codes. So it's hard to say with certainty if your GPS is the problem since you didn't mention those codes, but maybe others had experiences more similar to yours.
If it's not the pump the GPS was also going to be my next suggestion. OP if you need one I have a 50k mile one off an SMG to 6MT conversion I did.

2002 M3 Tiag/Imola Coupe-6MT (SOLD)
2005 325xi Tiag/Tanin - 5MT (SOLD)
2006 M3 Silvergrey/Black Coupe (SOLD)
2006 M3 Tiag/Black Coupe - 6MT (SOLD)

2003 330i ZHP 6MT ---> S54/M3 Conversion (build coming soon)
Jump to top 04yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-07-2017, 11:23:32 AM   #23
scoopy128

United States

Sorry if i have to ask and not read the whole thing smg faq. Basically for the smg usually the parts are smg pump (motor), accumulator, gps and clutch cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top scoopy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-08-2017, 05:30:25 PM   #24
MrVond
The Phanto///M

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy128 View Post
Sorry if i have to ask and not read the whole thing smg faq. Basically for the smg usually the parts are smg pump (motor), accumulator, gps and clutch cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, there's also a electronic slave cylinder and the actuator arm, which rows the gears for you.
Old Sat, Nov-11-2017, 10:55:22 PM   #25
MrVond
The Phanto///M

In the garage:

United States

UPDATE:

for some reason the adaptation went through and passed.
the only different variables this time is that I did the adaptation on a slight incline with the parking brake pulled, the other times I did the adaptation is with a level surface and parking lever not engaged.

I drove the car for a good hour it seemed to drive like it used to, then i encountered a good incline while shifting through the 2-3 it stuttered, again, i pulled over and re-adapted failed (flat surface, handbrake not engaged).

It failed at least 10 times after this in the same conditions, citing switch path too narrow and that the odd gears shift gates are too narrow.
I tried calibrating again with the incline w handbrake engaged, it passed, but still w some stutter from 2>3 at high load. otherwise it drives fine
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 08:39:53 PM   #26
ZCPIBM3

In the garage:

United States

It's either GPS or compression spring. Look that up.
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 10:16:18 PM   #27
MrVond
The Phanto///M

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCPIBM3 View Post
It's either GPS or compression spring. Look that up.
I changed my Compression spring, its on the first post, yes, most likely the GPS is out
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 06:21:24 AM   #28
B_Engineering

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVond View Post
I changed my Compression spring, its on the first post, yes, most likely the GPS is out
Hi,

how many miles does your car have?
If it's not the GPS, could be the synchros as well.

Kind regards from Germany

Thomas
Jump to top B_Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 09:24:16 PM   #29
MrVond
The Phanto///M

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Engineering View Post
Hi,

how many miles does your car have?
If it's not the GPS, could be the synchros as well.

Kind regards from Germany

Thomas
134k miles. from the troubleshooting thread, it would appear that the GPS is bad, but it only stutters under sudden load for 2-5 seconds.