BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 03:43:04 PM   #21
KS Golfer

United States

Default Re: Alternatives for mason brace

I hadn't tried that before, but even if it works it's less than ideal for sure. That would be a bit of a PITA to get sticks in and out of the back and situated so they're not beating on the interior panels.

not to mention clubs tend to make a lot of chattering noise, and having the seats down increases cabin noise. it could work...but I'd rather find another way.
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 07:05:43 AM   #22
pj_benn

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 dude View Post
you can buy a brace fabbed up here in Australia.
it's based on the M3 GTR brace. there are many cars here using it.
look up Function Autoworks on FB.

also CMP does a floor bar.
just checked their instagram because of this post. looks like they recently put out a stage 2 brace.

Any of you guys know someone down there running that?
Jump to top pj_benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 05:22:28 PM   #23
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagan1984 View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have reviewed your products and they are awesome. I am really interested in them the onlu issue I have is that I am not sure if I could find anybody here in Cincinnati who would be able to do a great job on the installation plus welding...And also be cost effective on the other hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm from Cincy with all my family still there.... you have options. This install is not complicated; what you need is a good welder.

You also have Alex with Performance Eurowerks up in Chicago... that's a quick 5hr trip for you.

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-14-2017, 06:19:24 PM   #24
cagan1984

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
I'm from Cincy with all my family still there.... you have options. This install is not complicated; what you need is a good welder.

You also have Alex with Performance Eurowerks up in Chicago... that's a quick 5hr trip for you.

Hey thanks for the information..do you know any place in cincinnati that could help on this?

Jump to top cagan1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 02:15:29 PM   #25
KS Golfer

United States

these RACP solutions are getting pretty elaborate. just the parts are $1k+ now, and I'd bet another $1500 of labor on top of that? Add in all the bushing and seal replacements "while you're in there" and this is probably a $3k shop bill?

planning for next winter, do I have that about right?
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 02:24:52 PM   #26
Paulo M

United States

Geez, I’d buy the Vince bar today but the problem is finding a shop or independent guy trustworthy enough to do the install. I’ve had too many bad experience with “reputable” m shops. Me doing it is out of the question lol.
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 02:28:04 PM   #27
KS Golfer

United States

I don't think you need a good BMW or "M" shop, but most likely something more like a cage builder or body shop.

or at least that's my plan.
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 03:49:58 PM   #28
Zroman610

United States

Default Alternatives for mason brace

[quote=KS Golferthese RACP solutions are getting pretty elaborate. just the parts are $1k+ now, and I'd bet another $1500 of labor on top of that? Add in all the bushing and seal replacements "while you're in there" and this is probably a $3k shop bill?

planning for next winter, do I have that about right?[/quote]

My shop was around $1300 in labor for bushings (diff/subframe/rtabs/guibo/csb) and Turner plates welded in. He has never done it before mine but is known in my area for being a really good welder and has built many high hp cars. It's definitely important for the person to have BOTH the mechanical ability AND welding skills. He did say that he would charge more if he were to do another one though, so you are probably right on the money at $1500 plus about $1k in parts.

It would be crazy to not replace all the bushings while the subframe is dropped in my opinion. Only other thing I will add is some sort of x-brace for the rear eventually. I have been researching this for quite some time now and mason seems to be the best bolt in option.

Last edited by Zroman610; Wed, Nov-15-2017 at 04:32:50 PM.
Jump to top Zroman610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 04:18:46 PM   #29
KS Golfer

United States

right...at least with Mason, just the parts for the RACP repair + bracing is $1k. I would expect $1500 in labor to install just that piece.

as you said, you'd be a loon not to do all the subframe bushings while you've got it dropped. Add a couple hundred for bushings, and another few hundred to install....and you've got at least another $500.

So we're easily at $3k before doing anything else (paint/powdercoat/clean up/etc).
Old Wed, Nov-15-2017, 04:58:33 PM   #30
Zroman610

United States

Default Alternatives for mason brace

Yep it is definitely not a job to just have any shop do either. I took a bit of a chance having it done by someone who hasn't done the job before, but I knew he had both the mechanical ability and have seen his welds on various other projects. I have ~12k miles on since and feels great. I went with AKG 75d for all the bushings and do notice a bit of added NVH, but this comes with most performance mods.

There was no sign of cracks whatsoever and the bushings were actually still in good shape for 100k. My only concern is that all the stress is now transferred to the top at the seams with the rear end being completely stiffened up underneath, but can't justify another $850 for the Mason brace yet. :shrug:

Jump to top Zroman610 is offline   Reply With Quote