BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 07:29:45 PM   #461
Davis

United States

Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Glad to see I'm not alone in my feelings about the GT350. I reallllllly wanted to like it, thought it would be the first brand new car I'd buy, but after spending a weekend with it I was majorly disappointed. I actually think part of the problem is the giant 295 tires in front. Kills steering feel and tramlines everywhere. I'm sure on a racetrack it will put down impressive lap times in skilled hands, but it's just not great to drive on the road (well, the noises it makes sure are a hell of a lot of fun)
Also spent a weekend with a GT350, and I really enjoyed it. It does tramline, and it is trash in the canyons, but it was fun.

Sometimes it's nice to drop the clutch and bang through 1st->3rd and not cringe at my subframe and the 3rd gear M3 grind. For a Mustang it drove amazingly well. A couple times I was heel-toeing into intersections, hanging the tail out on exit, and it was easy. Yeah all electric steering sucks and the M3 is still my car of choice, but the mustang was very impressive and controllable. Felt gigantic though.

As far as seats go, I think the E63 M6 has the best. I love BMW seats but I'm a short guy. I The E46 seats are similar, they were comfortable up until I switched to Pole Positions.
Jump to top Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 07:32:24 PM   #462
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

What is the M3 grind?

I have no grinding in either of my M3s, and none of my other 420Gs...

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 08:00:44 PM   #463
Davis

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
What is the M3 grind?

I have no grinding in either of my M3s, and none of my other 420Gs...
I see threads every once in awhile about crunchy 3rd gears with non-OEM gear oil. The PO put redline in my car and it crunches if you don't give the synchros enough time.
Jump to top Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 08:15:17 PM   #464
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I find all versions of e46 seats with adjustable lumbar comfortable, and am reasonably tall :P

Seats, it would seem, vary from person to person.
Yea I guess so. While I'd say the 135i had more "lazy boy" chair like cushioning comfort, I find the e46 M3 seats to be one of the most comfortable seats I've sat in for a car like this. Perfect balance of comfort and sporty for a factory seat. Lumbar adjustment is a must. It seems like the only time I hear people finding them uncomfortable are from those that don't have power lumbar.

If you guys REALLY want to sit in some uncomfortable seats, sit in a Fiesta ST with factory Recaros... VERY snug and they certainly hold you in place...But your back will ache within 20 minutes, your ass will fall asleep from how tight they grip you, if you are heavier well than forget about it. I'm in good shape and can barely fit. Great in the twisties....horrible everywhere else.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 08:16:45 PM   #465
EricSMG
40 something

United States

I think the 46M seats are very comfortable. They just don't do a good job of holding a slim guy like myself in place.

This is where the dead pedal becomes a lifesaver. I find I don't need the dead pedal at all with a really supportive seat.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 08:30:23 PM   #466
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Also spent a weekend with a GT350, and I really enjoyed it. It does tramline, and it is trash in the canyons, but it was fun.

Sometimes it's nice to drop the clutch and bang through 1st->3rd and not cringe at my subframe and the 3rd gear M3 grind. For a Mustang it drove amazingly well. A couple times I was heel-toeing into intersections, hanging the tail out on exit, and it was easy. Yeah all electric steering sucks and the M3 is still my car of choice, but the mustang was very impressive and controllable. Felt gigantic though.

As far as seats go, I think the E63 M6 has the best. I love BMW seats but I'm a short guy. I The E46 seats are similar, they were comfortable up until I switched to Pole Positions.
It's definitely not a bad car, just not the great road car I hoped it would be. Agree it can still be fun to drive in a hooligan manner, and it makes great power anywhere in the revs.

Good choice on seats. Probably doing pole positions or other buckets next year, can't wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
I think the 46M seats are very comfortable. They just don't do a good job of holding a slim guy like myself in place.

This is where the dead pedal becomes a lifesaver. I find I don't need the dead pedal at all with a really supportive seat.
This. My left leg is always sore after a track day

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 04:20:11 AM   #467
redline8000
M-Power Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
We just need Singer to make their take on the e30
http://singervehicledesign.com/
Absolutely, positively and without a doubt this. We need someone to take all of the previous generation (true BMW M3 cars) and Singer the shizz out of them. The beautiful e30 M3 is one that could just be re-imagined to be a beast of a beauty. They are cars worthy of this effort and execution.
“Everything is determined…by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust—we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.”

—Albert Einstein --- Quoted in interview by G.S. Viereck , October 26,1929. Reprinted in “Glimpses of the Great”,1930.
Jump to top redline8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 04:54:40 AM   #468
evil panda

United States

the "Singer treatment" is not a particularly magical concept, just restomodding to a particularly insane level of detail, with absolutely fantastic taste, and with no expense spared and then some. some of the M3's i see on here already are that in spirit - the main difference is that you're not spending $300k on it.

with a straight E30 body and that much money, what could you do? the equivalent a Singer i guess would be to take a S52 engine, hotrod it to deliver the highest output, along with visual and auditory art. update the suspension and brakes. clean up the lines of the body and put in some crazy bespoke eye candy interior. done.

i'm thinking someone here knows someone who could do justice to the concept with a E30 M3 project body and a check for $200k
Jump to top evil panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 03:36:18 PM   #469
Winegums

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:

For me the seats are a bit too large for my liking and far too large for my wife. Even with the bolsters fully inflated she complains that the seat does nothing to hold her while driving spiritedly. Makes me wonder if I should look into some different seats, but then I think I would miss the "tilt forward and lift" mechanism on the stock seats. I put my groceries and work boots behind my seat quite often, that mechanism is beautiful in my eyes.

I'm not surprised that the new mustang isn't great over rougher roads and twisty sections. It's always been a muscle car for the masses, designed mainly to excite younger drivers in a straight line from one stop light to the next. They may have done a bit of work to make them more like a sports car but they're still a long ways from being an M3 or a Carrera.

Things like a Torsen rear diff in the mustang versus the Variable M-Lock Diff in our M3 make the difference. Digging into a tight corner or rolling over rough patches under power I can feel the diff transferring torque from side to side. Situations where I feel the car shouldn't be stable accelerating it stays calm and the tires keep putting down the power.
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 04:43:40 PM   #470
simon_c

United States

Quote:

My first E46 M3 had adjustable bolsters and they were amazing. I didn't even realize I had them until about 1 year of ownership...