BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Apr-03-2015, 07:57:39 PM   #201
will.c

United States

Default Re: Fortune Auto Coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRTuning View Post
Thanks for the update! Could you elaborate on this? Did they come with endlinks?
My pleasure!

FA does not supply endlinks. I initially tried to use stock endlinks but they were too long. They hit the FCAs. So I went to Pep Boys and bought the most similar looking pair that were about the right length. Turned out Chevy Impala's endlinks fit pretty well, and since then I had no mechanical issues throughout several DEs and street use.

Recently when I went to corner balance, the shop kept on chasing the 50 lb difference in the front left and right. When they disconnected the front swaybar endlinks, that 50 lb difference went away. What had been happening was the non-adjustable endlinks preloaded the front coilovers. So they swapped out one (not both) endlink with an adjustable one from Turner.

I think a little bit of preloading doesn't really affect handling much, nor will a typical driver tell the difference especially on the street. I went with an adjustable endlink just because the shop had it.
Jump to top will.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-03-2015, 09:31:07 PM   #202
BBRTuning

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
My pleasure!

FA does not supply endlinks. I initially tried to use stock endlinks but they were too long. They hit the FCAs. So I went to Pep Boys and bought the most similar looking pair that were about the right length. Turned out Chevy Impala's endlinks fit pretty well, and since then I had no mechanical issues throughout several DEs and street use.

Recently when I went to corner balance, the shop kept on chasing the 50 lb difference in the front left and right. When they disconnected the front swaybar endlinks, that 50 lb difference went away. What had been happening was the non-adjustable endlinks preloaded the front coilovers. So they swapped out one (not both) endlink with an adjustable one from Turner.

I think a little bit of preloading doesn't really affect handling much, nor will a typical driver tell the difference especially on the street. I went with an adjustable endlink just because the shop had it.
Interesting, so you asked for OEM replacement Chevy Impala endlinks? Happen to remember the year? Might do what you did and get a single adjustable link since like you said that's all you really need.

How about the rear?

///BBRTuning | 2001 LSB M3 6MT | AEM Infinity + flex fuel tuned by me | JE 11.5/Carillo S54 by Pure Performance | Moton Motorsport 3WR + rear coilover, 700/450, no rear bar | Stoptech Trophy BBK 6F/4R 355x32 | Apex SM-10 18x10+25 (x4) | BMW M 4.10 | Turner monoball FCAB/RTABs | Turner lower-rear + Wisefab upper-rear adj. arms | Z3 rack | Lang Racing CF roof | Sparco Evo2 (x2) | AP Race roll bar | full interior 3310lb wet
Jump to top BBRTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-03-2015, 10:04:02 PM   #203
will.c

United States

Quote:
Interesting, so you asked for OEM replacement Chevy Impala endlinks? Happen to remember the year? Might do what you did and get a single adjustable link since like you said that's all you really need.

How about the rear?
I bought ProSteer SL519.
http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9873056/00059

For Turner's adjustable endlink, my shop had to machine a few additional threads so that it can be shorter. The shortest setting was still too long. I'd advise going with another mfr that's much shorter than OEM. FYI I just measured the ProSteer link, and it's about 7" long center to center.

Rear I kept OEM on both sides.
Jump to top will.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-05-2015, 04:16:13 AM   #204
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
My pleasure!

Any shop that tries to corner balance w/o first disconnecting the sway bar links does not have any idea what they are doing.

This is as elementary as it gets.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-06-2015, 01:20:46 AM   #205
BBRTuning

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Any shop that tries to corner balance w/o first disconnecting the sway bar links does not have any idea what they are doing.

This is as elementary as it gets.
If you read his post he said that he had NON-adjustable endlinks when he went to get corner balanced. Corner balancing the car with the endlinks disconnected, and then connecting them after balancing is silly because if there is preload it will throw everything off. The right thing to do is to adjust them so there is no preload and balance the car that way, which is what he did.

Thanks will.c for the info on the end links! I found these on ebay and they seem perfect and pretty inexpensive (adjustment anywhere from 6-10" with two different length links included:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-maxx-Adjus...a6c6a2&vxp=mtr

///BBRTuning | 2001 LSB M3 6MT | AEM Infinity + flex fuel tuned by me | JE 11.5/Carillo S54 by Pure Performance | Moton Motorsport 3WR + rear coilover, 700/450, no rear bar | Stoptech Trophy BBK 6F/4R 355x32 | Apex SM-10 18x10+25 (x4) | BMW M 4.10 | Turner monoball FCAB/RTABs | Turner lower-rear + Wisefab upper-rear adj. arms | Z3 rack | Lang Racing CF roof | Sparco Evo2 (x2) | AP Race roll bar | full interior 3310lb wet
Old Mon, Apr-06-2015, 01:40:39 AM   #206
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
If you read his post he said that he had NON-adjustable endlinks when he went to get corner balanced. Corner balancing the car with the endlinks disconnected, and then connecting them after balancing is silly because if there is preload it will throw everything off. The right thing to do is to adjust them so there is no preload and balance the car that way, which is what he did.

Thanks will.c for the info on the end links! I found these on ebay and they seem perfect and pretty inexpensive (adjustment anywhere from 6-10" with two different length links included:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-maxx-Adjus...a6c6a2&vxp=mtr
No, you always check without the end links connected, then add the end links and see whether they are influencing things (one end at a time). Otherwise you are just guessing. If you need an adjustable end link, then you'll know which end to put the adjustable end link on. Leaving them on and you could end up at zero cross-weights and still be completely wrong.

FWIW, my car was up on the scales a ton during my racing career. I know my way around this.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-31-2017, 10:01:01 PM   #207
Fhcrubarb

United States

Bumping this. Would like to hear more feedback in regards to how these perform on track for a mid level/advanced driver.
Jump to top Fhcrubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-31-2017, 11:14:16 PM   #208
BBRTuning

In the garage:

United States

Iíve been running my FA510s for a couple years now and overall Iíve been quite impressed for the price. Iíve had a lot of different level dampers on different cars and Iíd say these have the best damping characteristics vs. price that Iíve had. I recently had mine re-valved and upgraded to the newest spec ďCFDĒ design and theyíre even better damping and tuneabity wise.

Theyíre amazingly compliant on the street on full soft, and as you increase the damping, the high-speed compression remains quite comfortable for how responsive the car is. Iíve flung the car off plenty of curbs at the local tracks here and itís very hard to upset the car. They seem to have got the damping pretty close, as Iíve ended up running similar damping settings front to rear, depending on if Iím just street driving, canyons, or track. Other cheaper coilovers Iíve had on other cars you often end up with wildly different damping settings front to rear to get the suspension frequencies in line.

Iím now running 9kg (500lb) front Eibachs and 11kg (600) rear TCK VVS beehive in-board springs, and with 275 or 285 square tire setups and ~3300lb curb weight, I definitely need more spring rate all around. Iím at the point where I have the dampers at full stiff on track to try and help reduce roll, but even cranked up it really absorbs the bumps well. Iíve been impressed with how well the adjustment works for a single-adjustable. There really is a noticeable difference throughout the range, although I donít make a change smaller than about 3 clicks.

I use Vorshlag camber/caster plates with them, as the FA plates they provide only give you camber adjustment, and use the GC adjustable end links.

I did blow the rear dampers after about 1 year/10k miles of use, but I discovered it was my fault. I had the rear damper length adjusted too long, so that they were near their bottom travel at ride, and under compression were getting close to bottoming out. Run them like that long enough and youíll blow the damper. After rebuild, I set them shorter (although you do sacrifice a bit of droop) and have had no problems.

Going forward, Iím going to go up in spring rate and am considering having them re-valved and upgraded to the 2-way external reservoirs for more adjustment.

Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 10:05:20 PM   #209
asianvenom

Resurrecting this thread from the dead: I just placed an order for the FA500 coil overs for my E46 M3, thanks to this thread. I have BC coilover on my 750il, but I feel like something is not right about it, as in getting tossed on decent size bump, no matter what my settings is, and even swapping swift springs a few times. coming from GC track coilovers from E36 M3 500/600lbs this never happen. Giving this FA500 a shot for the price. GC/camber plates will put it well over $2,500 not what I want to spend right now.
Jump to top asianvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-20-2018, 02:59:32 AM   #210
hopalong

You won’t regret it. Love mine!
Jump to top hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote