BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Fri, Aug-31-2018, 06:15:34 AM   #51
Monte0704

United States

Default Re: SCCA F Street - the beginning

What sway bar are you running? I wouldn't say the M3 has excessive body roll, on my konis anyways.

Maybe your springs are worn, but that would be a first for me.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Aug-31-2018, 06:39:25 AM   #52
Mattnv

United States

I have the H&R bar. I'm actually finding a few threads on the board referencing worn springs, doing some reading now. Might be a long shot.
Jump to top Mattnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-31-2018, 05:02:32 PM   #53
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattnv View Post
Good updates. I've been hanging in there this year. Having a lot of fun, relatively PAX competitive locally and winning my class a few times. So I'm running 255 front and 275 read RE71's now and that has made a huge difference. What I think I've discovered is that my stock OEM springs are worn out. With full stiff Konis and a swaybar in the front, I cannot seem to dial out the excessive body roll. The car has 95k Miles, but a heavy autocross regimen the last 2 years. Any thoughts on if grabbing a fresh set of OEM Springs for all four corners? and try that?
I'm curious about your tire setup. I'm going to be testing used 255 square. I've never thought the car wanted more rear grip as I'm currently running a 235/265 stagger. Do you like the balance of a 255/275 stagger? Are the diameters matched well enough that you don't get excessive VDC intervention while driving on the street?

Glad there's more than 2 of us on here autocrossing this platform.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-03-2018, 07:58:00 PM   #54
Mattnv

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino09 View Post
I'm curious about your tire setup. I'm going to be testing used 255 square. I've never thought the car wanted more rear grip as I'm currently running a 235/265 stagger. Do you like the balance of a 255/275 stagger? Are the diameters matched well enough that you don't get excessive VDC intervention while driving on the street?

Glad there's more than 2 of us on here autocrossing this platform.

I seem to have dialed in on a good balance with the Koni's set at full stiff in the front, 50% stiff in the rear, HR Bar on Medium in the front. I can still get the back to step out if needed. My thinking was that i didn't want to give up any footprint. I like the slip angle I can hold with this setup. I went with the 255-35-18 in the front and the 275-35-18 in the rear. The smaller diameter of the 255-35 (vs. other size available) provides some rake, and matches up close enough with the 275/55 that I have never noticed any VDC issues.

I've read a few threads about my spring question, and I do believe there may be some gains in fresh OEM Coils. I will do some more research and may pull the springs off the car for an inspection.
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 09:38:25 PM   #55
albino09

In the garage:

United States

Final event of the season is tomorrow for the TRSCCA (TN Region) at NCM in Bowling Green KY. We'll be running the track below. I have mounted some scrubbed RE71-Rs in a 255 square to test how the car runs on these tires. If I like them enough I'll buy a fresh set for next year's season along with my used Koni yellows I also picked up from a local part-out. Hoping for a good weekend where I may finally beat that frickin' M235i convertible!

I don't think I'll ever go back to a stagger when the 255 looks so damn good on the OE fronts...

Last edited by albino09; Fri, Oct-19-2018 at 09:47:40 PM.
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 04:40:48 PM   #56
albino09

In the garage:

United States

I finally did it! By 4 tenths, I topped the Dinan-tuned M235i convertible. I can't wait to dice it out with this guy all next year for the regional championship. The early part of the day was drizzling as I was learning these tires. RE71-Rs don't talk to you at all which I wasn't used to. I took a ride-along in the convertible and realized he was getting me on torque pulls more than anything else, so I really focused on being smooth for the last run and dropped a full second off my time to take the FS win.

Old Tue, Oct-23-2018, 06:08:15 AM   #57
Mattnv

United States

Nice job, way to finish strong.
Old Fri, Oct-26-2018, 02:29:51 PM   #58
landstuhltaylor

In the garage:

United States

Running the E46 M3 in FS is a waste of time
Jump to top landstuhltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-26-2018, 06:56:04 PM   #59
albino09

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
Running the E46 M3 in FS is a waste of time
Nationally, maybe, but not regionally. Nobody shows up with the new GTs or Camaros or even an E92 in my region. So I turn up to have some fun and drive the car in street trim. When I do more mods I'll look at STU or something similar, if I still want to do it.