BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 06:51:09 PM   #31
Carbuilder723

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: High compression S54 - Questions abound

I am really starting to lean towards keeping the compression ratio stock at 11.5.
I think as much as it would be really awesome to go full steam ahead on a 12.5 build... I just don't think it's feasible within my budget.
It seems like 12.5 may be worth it in my situation if i was committed to installing 288/280 cams, forged connecting rods, and doing a complete stand alone engine management (AEM Infinity or the like) with flex fuel to compensate (both for fuel and spark) for the times I can't get e85.

Cost aside, sticking with 11.5 is much less complicated, known and flexible given all driving conditions. I'm not building a race car, just a solid sports car, so i am starting to think 12.5 may really be overkill.
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 07:44:42 PM   #32
ctres

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Also, FWIW, turbo engines with higher boost and lower static CR often have lower peak cylinder pressures than NA engines with high static CR. If you were to look at a PV diagram, a turbo essentially gives you more area under the curve without necessarily raising the peak pressure. The largest downside is that hardly anyone turbocharges this engine, and I imagine those that do have to deal with jeers from purists on a daily basis
You can certainly calibrate a turbocharged engine to make less peak pressure than an NA engine by retarding spark excessively, but in my experience calibrating instrumented engines with cylinder pressure transducers, boosted engines will almost always have a higher peak cylinder pressure when calibrated to the knock threshold, but the peak will be later in the cycle. Retarding spark past the knock threshold to reduce peak cylinder pressure has other consequences as well. Phasing the combustion later causes much higher EGTs, potentially damaging the turbo (something the aftermarket never talks about), not to mention you will have horrendous BSFC.

It's true that a turbo engine will give you more area under the power part of the curve, but there is typically an increase in peak pressure as well. Most NA engines will not get over 100 Bar peak pressure, whereas turbocharged DI engines can generally hit 120 to 125 Bar no problem.
Jump to top ctres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 08:53:52 PM   #33
Carbuilder723

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctres View Post
You can certainly calibrate a turbocharged engine to make less peak pressure than an NA engine by retarding spark excessively, but in my experience calibrating instrumented engines with cylinder pressure transducers, boosted engines will almost always have a higher peak cylinder pressure when calibrated to the knock threshold, but the peak will be later in the cycle. Retarding spark past the knock threshold to reduce peak cylinder pressure has other consequences as well. Phasing the combustion later causes much higher EGTs, potentially damaging the turbo (something the aftermarket never talks about), not to mention you will have horrendous BSFC.

It's true that a turbo engine will give you more area under the power part of the curve, but there is typically an increase in peak pressure as well. Most NA engines will not get over 100 Bar peak pressure, whereas turbocharged DI engines can generally hit 120 to 125 Bar no problem.
Alright... It says you live in Detroit metro and you're way too knowledgeable not to work for an OEM. Now I'm curious which one...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old Fri, Oct-19-2018, 09:00:38 PM   #34
ctres

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbuilder723 View Post
Alright... It says you live in Detroit metro and you're way too knowledgeable not to work for an OEM. Now I'm curious which one...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'd rather not say. I don't speak on behalf of my employer, just sharing my experience where it may be of use. Suffice it to say that I have firsthand experience. For the record there are many non OEM engineering consulting companies in the area with some very smart engineers that work on OEM projects.
Jump to top ctres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-20-2018, 01:03:28 AM   #35
Cronenberged

In the garage:

United States

I would have to dig through the forum but someone did a 3.5L stroker with a 12.1 comp.

Last edited by Cronenberged; Sat, Oct-20-2018 at 01:06:57 AM.
Jump to top Cronenberged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-20-2018, 01:33:43 AM   #36
benzthis

United States

I think mister m did a crazy stroker.
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 01:01:37 AM   #37
mpwr92

United States

Go 12.5.1 288/280 stock lift cams and box u won’t regret it just get paul to tune it.
Running pump fuel data logs with no knock reduction and temps In Australia are starting to get hot! Compression won’t give u much more power but will give you torque.
Jump to top mpwr92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 01:02:10 AM   #38
mpwr92

United States

If ur gonna buy pistons go JE and Molnar rods
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 06:35:51 AM   #39
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwr92 View Post
Go 12.5.1 288/280 stock lift cams and box u won’t regret it just get paul to tune it.
Running pump fuel data logs with no knock reduction and temps In Australia are starting to get hot! Compression won’t give u much more power but will give you torque.
How much did ur car make,translated to US dynojet if possible

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 09:19:20 AM   #40
mpwr92

United States

Still running in so haven’t had it on the dyno will be tuned before Christmas but feels very diffrent to before with same setup stock
Bottom end. Built a fair few
S54’s in my life.