BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 12:00:53 AM   #71
bimmerteknik

United States

Default Re: 500k+ Mile E36 M3

Here is the exhaust before and after, GoPro mounted to the rear bumper and running a homemade noise filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bimmerteknik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 12:02:53 AM   #72
bimmerteknik

United States

Default 500k+ Mile E36 M3

The results from today at BPCís fall dyno day.
243Hp / 251Tq

Iím picking up 24lb injectors this weekend and will try to locate a used 803 Maf.

Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 04:56:40 AM   #73
lancemac
I am an American!

In the garage:

United States

Very nice!
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 08:25:12 AM   #74
BLCKSTRM

United States

Man, so many comments and questions for you!

First, I love to see a well-maintained high-mileage car! And second, I love seeing what you've done (and are doing) with it.

My car has more miles than most, but is still less than half of what you've got at 233k. But my plans for it are nearly identical to what you've done with yours.

I've already done the head gasket once, and assume the next time will require at least a hone if not a complete overbore. I've planned on going to an 11.5:1 compression ratio, and will do the riot racing cams, 3.5" intake/MAF, 24 lb injectors, and Raceland headers at the same time (if I don't get to them before that). [Edit] I see a couple posts I missed - including the dyno. I see you don't have the 24 lb injectors and 3.5" MAF yet. Those are some pretty impressive numbers for still having stock injectors and MAF.

Since you've done / are doing exactly the work I've been contemplating, can you comment on a couple things? How does it drive? Is it noticeably faster than before? (I'd hope, but you never know). Was tuning it problemmatic? Does the higher compression ratio require higher octane gas, additives, etc? [Edit] Yes, I'd imagine it's quite faster than before given the numbers you just posted. Do you mind if I ask how you handled the tuning (off the shelf? In-person or remote dyno tuning?)

Like you, I'll track it occasionally but more than anything it's my daily, so I like the daily drivability of Riot Racing cams over a Schrick or a Sunbelt maximum hp setup. And I worry about being able to use normal gas if I go to 11.5:1, though I do understand it SHOULD be ok.

I'm also curious if you've thought about ITBs, whether the new RHD ITB setup or fitting a Euro or S54 set? I know it's almost gospel that the Euro / S54 ITBs don't help anything but the sound (and maybe throttle response), but RHD claims to make more power with their ITBs. And given the work that you've done, would that potentially be something you'd look at?

Last edited by BLCKSTRM; Sun, Oct-21-2018 at 08:34:41 AM. Reason: Added updates
Jump to top BLCKSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 02:32:47 PM   #75
bimmerteknik

United States

Default 500k+ Mile E36 M3

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKSTRM View Post

How does it drive?

Is it noticeably faster than before? (I'd hope, but you never know).

It drives great, I actually left the dyno day event and drove 2.5hrs to visit some family. I e also taken it on two 3 hr work trips.

The only thing I can complain about is when I turn on the AC the idle will dip as it cycles, sat stops or when off Throttle. I recently discovered it l doesnít dip if I already have the electric fans powered on so Iím thinking that may be a load issue as the fans currently power on together. Iím going to isolate them and see how it reacts.

It is noticeably faster. But I was also on a 500k mile motor that consumed as much oil as gas so it may not be the most scientific comparison.

Quote:
Was tuning it problemmatic?

Does the higher compression ratio require higher octane gas, additives, etc? [Edit] Yes, I'd imagine it's quite faster than before given the numbers you just posted.

Do you mind if I ask how you handled the tuning (off the shelf? In-person or remote dyno tuning?)

Out of convenience and a couple rave reviews from people in the e30 community I chose to go with RK-tunes. It was as easy as I could imagine it being. I messaged them about the build, they said it was an easy tune. I ordered off the website cable showed up a few days later. Read the instructions Installed the software jumped pins at my under hood connector. Connected to the car. Saved my ecu file and sent it to RK-Tunes with a list of the engine build. I think it took 4 business days and I received an email with my tune. Flashed the tune and that was that.

That being said. I was able to drive without a tune and a/f ratios were great. Granted thatís with stock maf and injectors but just worth noting.

Quote:
I'm also curious if you've thought about ITBs, whether the new RHD ITB setup or fitting a Euro or S54 set? I know it's almost gospel that the Euro / S54 ITBs don't help anything but the sound (and maybe throttle response), but RHD claims to make more power with their ITBs. And given the work that you've done, would that potentially be something you'd look at?

I donít think so, they look amazing and the videos Iíve seen sound great. But I donít think itís something Iíd be doing any time soon.

Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 02:39:19 PM   #76
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Good choice of a tuner. Heís tuned several of my cars.
Old Tue, Oct-23-2018, 03:36:36 AM   #77
bimmerteknik

United States

Found a local e30 guy that is making chassis mount shifters. Figured Iíd give it a shot.

Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 02:39:49 PM   #78
Drip

United States

Please give us a small review on the chassis mount shifter
Jump to top Drip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 02:51:16 AM   #79
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerteknik View Post
The results from today at BPCís fall dyno day.
243Hp / 251Tq
The 500k Mile E36 M3 Dyno - YouTube

Iím picking up 24lb injectors this weekend and will try to locate a used 803 Maf.

No front fan on the dyno?
Jump to top Texaz3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 01:31:19 PM   #80
bimmerteknik

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drip View Post
Please give us a small review on the chassis mount shifter

It feels very well put together. A coworker has the AKG shift assembly and this is on par with it, though a bit heavier as an assembly. But at 150.00 I consider it a good buy.

Here is a photo from the guy who is making them.

And literally the only photo I took before installing

Install was very straight forward. Disconnect the selector rod at the shifter. Remove old shifter, remove front carrier pin, slide the carrier forward to get it out of the rear bushing, pull the carrier out, from inside you set the plate over the hole. Go underneath and visually center it. Attach selector rod. Make sure your in neutral and still centered check that your shifter is visually straight from inside while in neutral. Confirm again that your centered and mark and drill your mount holes. Tighten it all down and put the cover back on.

The lower Rod is adjustable, so the throw can be shortened and lengthened with this. I have it set to what I think is a comfortable throw and There is plenty of room between the selector rod and the guibo. To adjust I just break the jam nut free and turn the rod in the cabin counter clockwise to shorten and clockwise to lengthen. Once itís where you want it go back under confirm clearance and tighten the jam nut.

I donít suspect this bearing will give any issues but it can be removed and replaced with just 2 snap rings. One holding the rod to the bearing (on bottom of plate, and the other holding the bearing in the plate (on top ).