BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Sep-13-2018, 10:04:09 PM   #1
jjimmyp

United States

Default Buyer beware - GROM Audio - Updated with a new version from company

Happy to report that the company told me they were working on a corrected version when I posted this that would be ready in a few weeks. They sent me a new version last week that appears to completely remove the static issue and it seems to work perfectly on an '04 Business CD / Non Nav, so I definitely recommend the product, if you're looking for an E46 bluetooth solution. Appreciate the company following up instead of just giving up. Thanks

Not sure if anyone else here has experienced issues with GROM audio products or their customer service, but a head's up that they are knowingly selling products that don't work properly.

Ive been dealing with this company since June first for a defective bluetooth device I purchased that would not stay paired with my iPhone, and then exchanged for their USB device version that is also defective with a nonstop static/ticking sound through the car's speakers.

I understand things don't always work properly sometimes, but when I created a help ticket for the problem it took them two weeks to respond, finally saying:

'At the moment we are looking into how to further eliminate the issue with the USB3 units. We have ways to minimize it to some extent but not fully."

Not once did they ever bring up this during my previous RMA process, or when they suggested purchasing it over a bluetooth device while being aware of existing problems with the USB device.

They also said other brand's devices have the same problem, something I don't believe. Along with possibly disabling the text display functionality to lessen the static sound, they could have been honest about in the beginning over bringing me on a 3 month ordeal to get a functioning device as they claim to sell.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks.

Last edited by jjimmyp; Wed, Oct-24-2018 at 02:46:07 AM. Reason: Updating post
Jump to top jjimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Sep-13-2018, 10:10:37 PM   #2
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Buyer beware - GROM Audio

My GROM BT-3 bluetooth adapter generally stays paired but I do get a very faint static/ticking noise with it as well - can't hear it when music is playing, but if nothing is playing and I crank the volume it's definitely noticeable.

Never reached out to customer service on it but based on your thread sounds like it's not worthwhile. If you end up finding a better bluetooth product that doesn't produce any static please let us know. I really like how plug-and-play the GROM is but knowing the static is there bothers me a bit.

How do you disable to text function display btw? I may try that on mine if it's supposed to help, find it kind of useless anyways.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 07:48:26 PM   #3
jjimmyp

United States

From the company:

To disable the text feature,
you would need a FAT formatted USB flashdrive to load a couple configuration options onto your GROM unit. The same one you currently have setup to play music from can be used to load the config

http://gromaudio.com/support/usb-config.html

Please scroll halfway down the page and locate Select Car Make.
Click the drop down menu and select BMW 97-06 and you will see options m and x appear in the chart below.
Check the box to the left of option m and x and you should see m= 0 and x= 3B appear in the Result CONFIG file box below.
Change x= 3B to x= 0 press enter to have an empty line underneath and click Download config file.
It would look like:
m= 0
x= 0

After downloading the config file, please make sure the filename is: gromusb2.cfg and load it onto a USB stick that you use to play music from.
Text should be not display anymore if config went through properly.

Please keep in mind that if the GROM unit loses power, the configuration file will be deleted from the GROM unit.
That means that every time the GROM unit loses power, you would have to load the config file again.
Please do not disconnect unit after loading config file.

I am not going through that. They did say they are working on a few other things to correct the problem. Will give them a little bit of time and if not will return the device for a refund.
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 08:41:47 PM   #4
Paulo M

United States

My Grom works well

Trick is to put the volume at about 80% from your smart phone and adjust headunit volume from there. Gets rid of static and unwanted noises.
Old Fri, Sep-14-2018, 10:51:23 PM   #5
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimmyp View Post
From the company:

To disable the text feature,
you would need a FAT formatted USB flashdrive to load a couple configuration options onto your GROM unit. The same one you currently have setup to play music from can be used to load the config

http://gromaudio.com/support/usb-config.html

Please scroll halfway down the page and locate Select Car Make.
Click the drop down menu and select BMW 97-06 and you will see options m and x appear in the chart below.
Check the box to the left of option m and x and you should see m= 0 and x= 3B appear in the Result CONFIG file box below.
Change x= 3B to x= 0 press enter to have an empty line underneath and click Download config file.
It would look like:
m= 0
x= 0

After downloading the config file, please make sure the filename is: gromusb2.cfg and load it onto a USB stick that you use to play music from.
Text should be not display anymore if config went through properly.

Please keep in mind that if the GROM unit loses power, the configuration file will be deleted from the GROM unit.
That means that every time the GROM unit loses power, you would have to load the config file again.
Please do not disconnect unit after loading config file.

I am not going through that. They did say they are working on a few other things to correct the problem. Will give them a little bit of time and if not will return the device for a refund.
Mine's not USB so I don't think that will work for me, but either way seems like a giant PITA. Hope they can fix it through other means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
My Grom works well

Trick is to put the volume at about 80% from your smart phone and adjust headunit volume from there. Gets rid of static and unwanted noises.
Will give this a try

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-15-2018, 12:47:44 AM   #6
jjimmyp

United States

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion but lowering the volume on static does not fix the problem.

Quote:
My Grom works well

Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 02:46:50 AM   #7
jjimmyp

United States

Default Re: Buyer beware - GROM Audio - Updated with new version that fixes issue

Just want to bump this letting everyone know I updated the post and GROM made good on a new version that corrected the problem and this is a recommended product from a reputable company.

Last edited by jjimmyp; Wed, Oct-24-2018 at 02:51:12 AM.
Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 02:52:06 AM   #8
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: Buyer beware - GROM Audio - Updated with new version that fixes issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimmyp View Post
Just want to bump this letting everyone know I updated the post and GROM made good on a new version that corrected the problem.
Did they replace your old unit for free? Although Im happy with mine, and only notice the static when no music is playing, Id like the version they thought was a fix. Now Im curious how much better the new version sounds.
Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 02:54:46 AM   #9
jjimmyp

United States

Hi Paulo, my device was a few weeks old and I had quite a back and forth with a number of people complaining about the static issue, so yes they swapped it for me. I can't tell about sound quality difference just yet as my speakers are not in the best of condition but the most important issue of the static is gone.

I would check the warranty and see what you can find out, good luck.

https://gromaudio.com/store/warranty.html

Quote:
Did they replace your old unit for free? Although Im happy with mine, and only notice the static when no music is playing, Id like the version they thought was a fix. Now Im curious how much better the new version sounds.
Old Fri, Nov-02-2018, 09:35:34 PM   #10
Paulo M

United States

Update: GROM kindly accepted the exchange of my 6month old Grom for their updated version. Props to them for doing right, even tho my current one works perfectly fine (outside of static when music stops playing, in which I’ll just turn off my phone). Still, I’d prefer to have the “fixed” version.

Thanks again for the heads up Jimmy