BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Sat, Jun-20-2015, 07:18:21 PM   #1
dsaulat

United States

Question New Member.. Bmw m3 e92 vs. M4??

Hey guys I'm a new member of this site.. I just sold my formula one red S2k and now I'm in the market for BMW M series.

Not sure which one i'm interested in yet. But im debating between the new M4 and the last body style M3 coupe.

I know there are some big differances, like one has a bigger v8 engine and the M4 has an inline v6 twin-turbo, also I hear it has a fake fabricated exhaust sound..

Anyways I would like to hear what you guys think about the 2 cars?
Pros/Cons..
anything that will help me decide which car to buy..

anything helps thanks!
Jump to top dsaulat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jun-20-2015, 09:56:42 PM   #2
HolyChitMeng
Alpine White Hoarder

In the garage:

Philippines

Default Re: New Member.. Bmw m3 e92 vs. M4??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaulat View Post
Hey guys I'm a new member of this site.. I just sold my formula one red S2k and now I'm in the market for BMW M series.

Not sure which one i'm interested in yet. But im debating between the new M4 and the last body style M3 coupe.

I know there are some big differances, like one has a bigger v8 engine and the M4 has an inline v6 twin-turbo, also I hear it has a fake fabricated exhaust sound..

Pros/Cons..

anything helps thanks!
can't have an inline and a V at the same time

AW/BLK 09' 6MT ///M3: ESS VT2-650, BBS LM, Stoptech Trophy, Evolve, Full Supersprint Race, KW Sleeve Kit
TIAG/IR 04' 6MT ///M3: BBS CH, Eibach Pro-Street-S, Full SS Race, Eventuri, Evolve, AS 30% SSK, OE CSL Bootlid
AW/BLK 95' ///M3: 16k miles, LTW Strut Brace
Jump to top HolyChitMeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-21-2015, 04:25:39 AM   #3
dsaulat

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyChitMeng View Post
can't have an inline and a V at the same time

thanks for the help bro!
Jump to top dsaulat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-21-2015, 05:13:01 AM   #4
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

This is probably what you're really asking for, meaning how much HP can the E9X M3 make... Take a look at this:

https://europeanautosource.com/blog/...-our-dyno.html

Jump to top Speed Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-21-2015, 12:40:06 PM   #5
RBC44

United States

i have a 2011 E92 (v8) M3, but i have ordered a new 2016 M4 (inline 6 turbo). They are both great cars, but the M4 has a lot more torque. You should test drive each and decide for yourself.

"Equal Justice Under Law"
Mods: BMW Motorsport 4.10 Diff (REM Polished); Euro Headers/Cats; Evolve-R Tune; VibraTechnics Engine Mounts and Transmission Mount; Stainless Steel Brake Lines; Mason Engineering GSP Clutch Pedal; Dinan Muffler; RAC 63 18" Wheels (silver) w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires; 17" Winter Wheels w/Michelin Pilot Alpin 3 Tires; AutoSolutions SSK (30% throw); CPI Rasp Terminator; Koni Yellow Shocks; Hotchkis Sway Bars; CDV Delete; Streamline Panel Filter; Stainless Steel Shift Knob and Ebrake Handle; Stainless Steel Pedal Set; Leather Z IR Shift Boot; Tekarbon 1/2CF CSL Style Diffuser; Dice Silverline Ipod Integration Kit; BeemerEvolution IR Dash Gauge Rings; Micro Antenna; M3 Trunk Mat; Stealth Bulbs; Eurotray; Eurowise Billet S54 Dipstick; SGM Hardtop; Vert. Windblocker; LeatherZ Spare Tire Kit; LeatherZ IR Shift Boot; IR Arm Rest; BMW Advanced Charging System; Body Colored Reflectors; Venture Shield Clear Bra; Keyhole Delete; BMW Car Cover.
Jump to top RBC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-21-2015, 09:10:05 PM   #6
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Very different cars, you need to decide what you want. E9x has a high revving high hp low torque engine like the s2000. F8x is torquey and dies off at high rpm. E9x rides more comfortably but feels (and is) heavier all the time.

Drive both, buy the one you like better.

E9x is probably the last M3 that's a reasonable long term (post warranty) ownership proposition.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-22-2015, 02:50:19 PM   #7
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Very different cars, you need to decide what you want. E9x has a high revving high hp low torque engine like the s2000. F8x is torquey and dies off at high rpm. E9x rides more comfortably but feels (and is) heavier all the time.

Drive both, buy the one you like better.

E9x is probably the last M3 that's a reasonable long term (post warranty) ownership proposition.
This has probably been my biggest surprise about my M3 that I bought in January. It has very little torque. You read "4.0L V8" and picture a boat load of torque, but it's not there. and then, in the midrange and of course up high, the thing just pulls you to triple digit speeds very soon.
Old Mon, Jun-22-2015, 04:08:36 PM   #8
DSilk

United States

This is exactly the same quandry that faced e46 M3 owners when the e9X M3 was introduced. Owners of the e46 M3 (and that includes me) were concerned about the loss of the classic inline 6 (many forgetting that the original e30 M3 had a twin cam 4 cylinder), the increase in physical size, the more commodious accomodations, and the movement away from the more classical BMW styling. But the fact is that none of those concerns diminished the e9X in the least. The actual car is very much a BMW and very much an "M". The new generation M4 is once again larger (although not heavier) and has forced indction for the first time. It also has electronic power steering assist (which is my biggest concern). Bt only time and driving experience with the new car will answer these questions. I replaced my beloved e46 M3 with an e92 M3 coupe, and couldn't be happier. Let's give the new car a try before we criticize it.
Jump to top DSilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-22-2015, 04:16:38 PM   #9
DSilk

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
This has probably been my biggest surprise about my M3 that I bought in January. It has very little torque. You read "4.0L V8" and picture a boat load of torque, but it's not there. and then, in the midrange and of course up high, the thing just pulls you to triple digit speeds very soon.
That has been a hallmark of the M3. It is a high-revving powerplant designed for high speed power rather than drag-racing. The only exception was the North American version of the e36 M3, which used a version of the 328i engine mated to a different head. This was done to keep the costs down. The European e36 M3 carried an earlier iteration of the S54 engine that we had in our e46 M3's.
Jump to top DSilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-22-2015, 06:22:15 PM   #10
Wayward
TwinTurbo

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaulat View Post

Pros/Cons..

anything helps thanks!
New M3/4 has tons of torque, more power, much better MPG, better looks, more quality interior and more aggressive styling. IMO you should pass on the previous gen unless you must have a V8 sound, want to live at the gas pump, are willing to wait till 5k rpm to feel power and get beat by a 335. It was a wonderful car when I owned one, but the new one is just much better all around and the old M3 is simply outclassed with the recent release of FI high performance cars.
Jump to top Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote