BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 08:08:37 PM   #31
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: For LSB guys...

Having owned an S2000 before, the AP1 not the lower revving AP2, I have to admit that I have thought about getting back into another one and adding it to my collection. There is just something really, really special about that car. No, its not fast, but a car like that doesn't have to feel fast. Its the overall experience of that car that makes it special. I would definitely spend some time on YouTube watching some AP1 S2000 reviews.

However, I would never sell the M3, I learned my lesson the hard way once I sold my steel grey...

Build Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564786

2004 BMW M3 - Alpine White - Cinnamon - 6 Speed Manual

Build Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=598904
Jump to top alexM3Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 02:19:21 AM   #32
Cmda17

In the garage:

United States

I've been itching to buy an S2k and comments like these aren't helping the situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexM3Chicago View Post
Having owned an S2000 before, the AP1 not the lower revving AP2, I have to admit that I have thought about getting back into another one and adding it to my collection. There is just something really, really special about that car. No, its not fast, but a car like that doesn't have to feel fast. Its the overall experience of that car that makes it special. I would definitely spend some time on YouTube watching some AP1 S2000 reviews.

However, I would never sell the M3, I learned my lesson the hard way once I sold my steel grey...
Jump to top Cmda17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 02:49:52 AM   #33
B_M_W

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by us722 View Post

What do most E46 M3 owners move on to? Or if you already have E46 M3 what else do you keep as a fun toy?
F80 is very nice but feels big like an M5 compared to the E46. I'm pretty sure sometime in the future I will regret selling the LSB E46.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m3s.jpg (766.1 KB, 48 views)
Jump to top B_M_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 02:53:53 AM   #34
simon_c

United States

Thread title is confusing to me... what about us non-LSB guys
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 03:16:39 AM   #35
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_M_W View Post
F80 is very nice but feels big like an M5 compared to the E46. I'm pretty sure sometime in the future I will regret selling the LSB E46.
You will. Guaranteed.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 02:20:56 PM   #36
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
If you want the e46 M3 experience but more (faster/lighter/more feelsome), I feel like the only place to go is GT3. But, that comes with much higher running costs and decreased practicality (in addition to the higher buy in price).

If you want different experiences, better to add cars to the fleet than replace the car. I'm solidly in this camp, at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Hands down GT2 RS or keep the M3. I couldn't trade it for even a GT3/RS, but that GT2 is another story
Is it just me or is this forum slightly insane... e46 hardly compares to a 'standard' C2S, let alone a GT3. Sure the engine revs slightly higher than a base 911 and the power is similar (at least 996/997) but the 911 is undoubtedly more sporty in every regard. Lighter, stiffer, more punchy low down (depends if you like torque or not), wayy better brakes and shifter. The e46 is awesome in that it is still practical and punches above its weight but a 911 munches it at being a sports car

@ not trading an e46 for an RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
For those that only seem to be interested in the Porsche GT cars, don't completely rule out the "regular" 911s as they are still a lot of car and aren't caught up in the crazy GT pricing that is the current market.
Totally agreed. I'm looking to get myself into a 997 C2S before I'm 30 or so.

Edit: I don't plan to get rid of the e46 ever though, it is that special

Last edited by BTB; Fri, Jul-20-2018 at 02:41:10 PM.
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 04:43:00 PM   #37
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
Is it just me or is this forum slightly insane...
We're a special bunch

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 09:39:24 PM   #38
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
Is it just me or is this forum slightly insane... e46 hardly compares to a 'standard' C2S, let alone a GT3. Sure the engine revs slightly higher than a base 911 and the power is similar (at least 996/997) but the 911 is undoubtedly more sporty in every regard. Lighter, stiffer, more punchy low down (depends if you like torque or not), wayy better brakes and shifter. The e46 is awesome in that it is still practical and punches above its weight but a 911 munches it at being a sports car

@ not trading an e46 for an RS

Totally agreed. I'm looking to get myself into a 997 C2S before I'm 30 or so.

Edit: I don't plan to get rid of the e46 ever though, it is that special
Beyond insane. As much as I love the E46, it just doesn't compare to a regular 911, much less a GT car. I've actually never driven a GT3 as I think it would be a bad idea, but I can definitely confirm that the E46M3 to a 997 C2S is a totally different level of car. Both are great, don't get me wrong, but the Porsche is just...better. The only negative is that the 997 C2S is roughly twice as expensive as the E46 M3 in similar desirable spec and with both cars pretty much bottomed out when it comes to depreciation, that probably won't change. Both cars are a great value for what you get for your money but I think the M3 is a better "deal" since it's a lot of car for $15-20k.
Jump to top Steve M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 05:21:24 PM   #39
hammerfang

In the garage:

United States

Couple of thoughts here:

1. 911s are awesome cars but don't offer anywhere near the practicability of an M3, although it doesn't sound like that's the main goal here.

2. I also wouldn't discount the Boxster/Cayman, they're fantastic cars and if you go for a 987.2 and up in "S" or greater trim, they're more capable than an E46 M3.

3. Until you start getting into the GT or Turbos, Porsches aren't that different of a style car as an E46 M3. So if you're planning on keeping the M3, I would go for something of a very different style (really light -> S2k, turbo power -> STI, big v-8 -> Z06). If you're getting rid of the M3 and want an evolution in that style car, you can't go wrong with a 911 of similar or newer vintage as your M3 (yes even a sorted 996).

Last edited by hammerfang; Sat, Jul-21-2018 at 05:27:07 PM.
Jump to top hammerfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 08:46:56 PM   #40
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
We're a special bunch
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Beyond insane. As much as I love the E46, it just doesn't compare to a regular 911, much less a GT car. I've actually never driven a GT3 as I think it would be a bad idea, but I can definitely confirm that the E46M3 to a 997 C2S is a totally different level of car. Both are great, don't get me wrong, but the Porsche is just...better. The only negative is that the 997 C2S is roughly twice as expensive as the E46 M3 in similar desirable spec and with both cars pretty much bottomed out when it comes to depreciation, that probably won't change. Both cars are a great value for what you get for your money but I think the M3 is a better "deal" since it's a lot of car for $15-20k.
Totally agree. Only GT car I've driven on track is the GT4 and while you can tell the engine isn't *quite* as exotic as even the M3, the car as a whole is almost perfect. Even sitting in the passenger seat of my buddies 997.1 C2 (non-s) its so obvious how much better/more focused it is as a sports car. No disrespect to the M3 though, it's just a little different

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfang View Post
Couple of thoughts here:

1. 911s are awesome cars but don't offer anywhere near the practicability of an M3, although it doesn't sound like that's the main goal here.

2. I also wouldn't discount the Boxster/Cayman, they're fantastic cars and if you go for a 987.2 and up in "S" or greater trim, they're more capable than an E46 M3.

3. Until you start getting into the GT or Turbos, Porsches aren't that different of a style car as an E46 M3. So if you're planning on keeping the M3, I would go for something of a very different style (really light -> S2k, turbo power -> STI, big v-8 -> Z06). If you're getting rid of the M3 and want an evolution in that style car, you can't go wrong with a 911 of similar or newer vintage as your M3 (yes even a sorted 996).
Def agreed. I still think a GT3 is very much the same 'style' as the M3 (e46 in particular), its just a little less of a DD than a base 911. Turbo is a bit different, more of a touring car/daily imo. Really fast but just lacks the power delivery of the NA cars which in a way spoils it as a true sports car, imo.

My M3 is high mileage and very much 'imperfect' so I plan to make it into the track/drift rat and have a 911 as a garage queen/sports car
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote