BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Feb-10-2020, 05:33:07 PM   #571
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 1998 E36 M3 Dakar HPDE Car - Picture Intensive

I've slowly been making progress on pulling pistons, cleaning them and replacing the rings. Also refreshing the cylinder with a flex hone. I decided to stop posting updates for each piston since it felt kinda silly. Next update will be once the bottom end is done.

Also cleaned up the head gasket surface.

Also, I went over to a buddies house that has an E46M vert he picked up as a donor for his S54 swap to scavenge some smog parts.

He won't be going the CARB route so he doesn't need the OEM headers, EVAP canister, SAP or EGR valve.

Here's a shot I took of the EVAP. TIL that the EVAP is under the car and not in the spare tire well like the E36M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Are you feeling loose in the rear end currently?
Jump to top nholmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Feb-24-2020, 06:21:48 PM   #572
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Finally got the last piston done.

Block is complete now with new rings, rod bearings and flex honing.

Head gasket is next as I move to re-install the head.

In the short term I decided to save a few bucks and not get my roof paint matched and converted into a slicktop. That's likely something I'll do down the road once the S54 swap is complete. While I wait, I won't be using RTV to seal it but I'm not a fan of the white plug contrasted against the yellow paint. That led me to wrap the roof to keep out water and to make it a little be less unsightly.

Finished the wrap last night and it came out fairly decent. I rushed the job to get it done as I have an event this weekend. Should be good enough for a track car and should last a year or so until the roof is matched.

Quote:
Old Wed, Feb-26-2020, 05:23:51 PM   #573
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Now that the piston/cylinder refresh is done, I can move on to re-installing the head.

Picked up an Elring headgasket. I'm told they are OEM suppliers?

As per the factory service manual, I lightly coated the head studs threads with oil. I also threaded them into the cleaned holes on the block to also coat those threads. Threading by hand takes a bit so I just left them in so I wouldn't make a mistake and miss one.

I then mounted the head onto the block and torqued each headstud in the proper sequence using the correct 30nm/90*/90* method.

One thing the FSM didn't mention that made sense to me was to do the torque step for each stud in sequence. Meaning I did the 30nm first for all 14 studs, then 90* for all 14 studs and lastly the final 90* for all 14 studs.

It would be strange to put all that stretch force on a single point first and then move on to each stud. It's probably fine, since I haven't read anything about failures caused by doing all three torque steps on a single stud first and then moving on.

Next will be the install of the cams and all associative parts.

Quote:
Old Wed, Feb-26-2020, 05:58:43 PM   #574
Evtron
lurking...

In the garage:

United States

Giving the people what they want to see! Looking good, hoping to do the same in the near future

E36 M3 Sedan Journal
Jump to top Evtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-27-2020, 09:23:27 PM   #575
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
Giving the people what they want to see! Looking good, hoping to do the same in the near future
Hahah, is it though?

I just like to share what I'm working on.

What's your plan? S54 swap? I think E46M prices are finally at a point where we can get our grubby hands on motors for a reasonable price.

Quote:
Old Thu, Feb-27-2020, 09:52:53 PM   #576
Evtron
lurking...

In the garage:

United States

Yeah I guess by "the people" I meant me \_(ツ)_/

S54 swap is on the roadmap for sure, but a complete suspension and brake teardown and rebuild needs to happen first. Before I do any of that though I need a media blasting setup that won't obliterate my garage or piss off the neighbors.

Forgive me if I've missed this, but what's your plan for the S54? Stock refresh or top-end build?

E36 M3 Sedan Journal
Old Thu, Feb-27-2020, 10:02:59 PM   #577
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yeah I guess by "the people" I meant me \_(ツ)_/

Quote:
S54 swap is on the roadmap for sure, but a complete suspension and brake teardown and rebuild needs to happen first. Before I do any of that though I need a media blasting setup that won't obliterate my garage or piss off the neighbors.
What set-up are we talking about here? Sounds serious?

Quote:
Forgive me if I've missed this, but what's your plan for the S54? Stock refresh or top-end build?
Just a refresh. As I was inspecting the motor to ensure I didn't get screwed, I kept digging deeper and deeper. Before I knew it, I was too deep to just leave it as-is.

Here I am replacing rings and honing cylinders...

Quote:
Old Thu, Feb-27-2020, 10:47:37 PM   #578
Evtron
lurking...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post

What set-up are we talking about here? Sounds serious?
Suspension or media blasting? For the media blasting setup, really nothing serious. I just need to figure out how to keep blasting media from ending up all over the garage, with a compressor that can handle the work without making too much noise.

For the suspension, just the usual tear down, powder coat, replace all bushings with OE/OEM, with a few extra goodies. Hoping to knock this out summer/fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post

Just a refresh. As I was inspecting the motor to ensure I didn't get screwed, I kept digging deeper and deeper. Before I knew it, I was too deep to just leave it as-is.

Here I am replacing rings and honing cylinders...

I don't blame you on the refresh - I intend to do the same thing. I mean you may as well go through it all while the engine is on the stand. I'd personally feel a lot better about swapping the motor knowing everything is fresh and done properly.

E36 M3 Sedan Journal
Old Thu, Feb-27-2020, 11:47:02 PM   #579
Dr Ed

United States

By converting it to slick-top, are you welding the sunroof panel to the roof? I was thinking about doing the same if/when I get my car repainted.
Jump to top Dr Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-28-2020, 12:57:48 AM   #580
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Suspension or media blasting? For the media blasting setup, really nothing serious. I just need to figure out how to keep blasting media from ending up all over the garage, with a compressor that can handle the work without making too much noise.

For the suspension, just the usual tear down, powder coat, replace all bushings with OE/OEM, with a few extra goodies. Hoping to knock this out summer/fall.
I meant the media blasting. I envisioned some gigantic set-up that would let you blast entire cars or something lol

Quote:
I don't blame you on the refresh - I intend to do the same thing. I mean you may as well go through it all while the engine is on the stand. I'd personally feel a lot better about swapping the motor knowing everything is fresh and done properly.
I was hoping to throw the motor in and go, but as my friends (and you) have pointed out - it's much easier now with the motor on the stand versus towing the car home and then pulling the motor.

It's also going to cost less, but it's upfront costs that will delay the swap. It will be better in the long haul though for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ed View Post
By converting it to slick-top, are you welding the sunroof panel to the roof? I was thinking about doing the same if/when I get my car repainted.
So, I don't really know yet. My friend with the bodyshop sounded like we would keep the fiberglass. I don't know if it's better to weld in a plate and then paint it or just use the plug? I still have the OEM painted piece - but it weighs 20lbs or so.

I mean, the plug might flex more but it will be lighter. I assume if we did the plug we would glue it in from underneath and then do the bodyshop filler, etc.

Quote: