BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jan-18-2016, 07:42:08 PM   #61
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Has anyone else experienced leaking BW/C&R oil cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I wouldn't buy anything from C&R. If you need a new radiator, either get the CSF one or the Zionsville one. Oil cooler? CSF or fab up a Setrab one w/AN fittings. I guess Mishimoto is worth a look too.

I'm actually on my second C&R radiator. The first one was destroyed by my fan. With all the money I dumped on them you'd think they could've helped me out with the cooler.

I think I'll place an order for a CSF unit.
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-18-2016, 08:28:52 PM   #62
JL@BimmerWorld
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

The CSF unit is currently the best bet for an E46 M3 oil cooler. C&R has a very strong track record overall, but this particular piece has obviously had some issues. I believe they (C&R) are finalizing a revised design for fitment and reliability testing, but there's no word yet on exactly when it should be available.

The CSF oil cooler is a bit heavier, but unless you're building a pro-level race car, it's not all that significant, and they've been proven to be very durable through a lot of high-stress use.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jump to top JL@BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2016, 12:05:26 AM   #63
BTB

In the garage:

United States

I received an update from Bimmerworld on the situation. I was planning on buying a new CSF cooler, but they said:

"We did end up discussing this issue in greater detail with C&R to try and get some sort of better resolution out of this. The C&R Oil Coolers are still not ready, and I don't have a great time frame at the moment, but due to this known issue there will be some resolution on a case by case basis. As long as your oil cooler checks out that it is in fact faulty and has not been damaged/hit/or anything else caused the issue, I should be able to get a warranty replacement for you if you would like to wait."

Sounds to me like C&R changed their mind
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2016, 12:09:39 AM   #64
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
I received an update from Bimmerworld on the situation. I was planning on buying a new CSF cooler, but they said:

"We did end up discussing this issue in greater detail with C&R to try and get some sort of better resolution out of this. The C&R Oil Coolers are still not ready, and I don't have a great time frame at the moment, but due to this known issue there will be some resolution on a case by case basis. As long as your oil cooler checks out that it is in fact faulty and has not been damaged/hit/or anything else caused the issue, I should be able to get a warranty replacement for you if you would like to wait."

Sounds to me like C&R changed their mind
I'd love to see C&R retroactively apply this. Mine had no damage whatsoever (other than the leak at their weld)... BW stood behind me and helped with a CSF unit, but I'm still out quite a bit of $$$ here...

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2016, 03:41:36 AM   #65
DiXiS 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL@BimmerWorld View Post
The CSF unit is currently the best bet for an E46 M3 oil cooler. C&R has a very strong track record overall, but this particular piece has obviously had some issues. I believe they (C&R) are finalizing a revised design for fitment and reliability testing, but there's no word yet on exactly when it should be available.

The CSF oil cooler is a bit heavier, but unless you're building a pro-level race car, it's not all that significant, and they've been proven to be very durable through a lot of high-stress use.
Knowing that C&R has a sub par product that "obviously had some issues", why not pull it from your site until they release their updated version?

And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win.
-Ayrton Senna
Jump to top DiXiS 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2016, 03:52:24 AM   #66
VinceSE2
FKA VinceSE

In the garage:

Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I'd love to see C&R retroactively apply this. Mine had no damage whatsoever (other than the leak at their weld)... BW stood behind me and helped with a CSF unit, but I'm still out quite a bit of $$$ here...

+1, mine had no damage either (apart from the leak between the tube and end tank). And although BW also stood behind me with a discounted CSF I'm also out on quite a lot of $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top VinceSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2016, 08:13:20 AM   #67
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiXiS 18 View Post
Knowing that C&R has a sub par product that "obviously had some issues", why not pull it from your site until they release their updated version?
+1 why continue selling a product with a design flaws/issues?

Good to see that C&R is doing something about this problem though. Maybe by the time I'm ready to get an oil cooler the redesign will be out, and hopefully of better quality. I like the engineering/performance behind the C&R unit just not the reliability.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2016, 11:05:26 AM   #68
Mike RT4

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL@BimmerWorld View Post

Mine fortunately leaked within the warranty period, I sent it back (which was a not inconsiderable cost from the UK), where you replaced it for a new one. However, I did not have the confidence in the product to refit it, so it sits here in the workshop still in the original packaging.

Will you replace it when a new one is replaced for one that is actually fit for purpose? I go to the Nurburgring frequently, so cannot afford to drop oil on a track which I would then be liable for......
CSL No 44 - AP 5575 6-pots front, PF 356 x 32 discs, RS 29 pads / AP 5144 4-pots rear, RS 29 pads - Castrol SRF / Supersprint full system from headers back, inc race cats with "Race" backbox / H&R coilovers / Turner Motorsport RTAB limiter kit
Jump to top Mike RT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2016, 12:31:26 PM   #69
JL@BimmerWorld
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiXiS 18 View Post
We did this some time ago. It hasn't been available on our site since it was recognized as a flawed design, and it won't be re-listed until the updated version is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RT4 View Post
Will you replace it when a new one is replaced for one that is actually fit for purpose? I go to the Nurburgring frequently, so cannot afford to drop oil on a track which I would then be liable for......
We're handling that on a case-by-case basis for customer orders. Give us a call (877-639-9648) or email (info@bimmerworld.com) with your original order information, and we'll see what options are available for your particular order.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Last edited by JL@BimmerWorld; Tue, Jan-19-2016 at 04:49:11 PM.
Jump to top JL@BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2016, 01:00:29 PM   #70
Mike RT4

United Kingdom

Email sent.
CSL No 44 - AP 5575 6-pots front, PF 356 x 32 discs, RS 29 pads / AP 5144 4-pots rear, RS 29 pads - Castrol SRF / Supersprint full system from headers back, inc race cats with "Race" backbox / H&R coilovers / Turner Motorsport RTAB limiter kit
Jump to top Mike RT4 is offline   Reply With Quote