BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Nov-16-2016, 05:57:59 PM   #61
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: My 99' Hellrot intro

Replaced my pulleys and tensioners... Started the car back up and now I have VANOS rattle. Or at least, now is the first time I heard it this loud. This is definitely related to the cold start knocking kind of sound I was hearing before, so that mystery is solved at least. Kinda feel like an idiot for not thinking of that sound as a faulty VANOS earlier, but hey, I'm still learning these cars.

Do you guys like the kit offerings from Beisan Systems? I think I'll also do the upper timing chain tensioner since we just did the lower one like 1000 miles ago.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-16-2016, 06:00:45 PM   #62
MR E30

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Replaced my pulleys and tensioners... Started the car back up and now I have VANOS rattle. Or at least, now is the first time I heard it this loud. This is definitely related to the cold start knocking kind of sound I was hearing before, so that mystery is solved at least. Kinda feel like an idiot for not thinking of that sound as a faulty VANOS earlier, but hey, I'm still learning these cars.

Do you guys like the kit offerings from Beisan Systems? I think I'll also do the upper timing chain tensioner since we just did the lower one like 1000 miles ago.
I do like the Beisan Systems stuff. Just used it on my M3.
Jump to top MR E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-18-2016, 12:31:21 AM   #63
SIDEWAYS
is the way to carve canyons...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Thanks everyone, good news from the shop... Loose timing chain tensioner, looking like that is likely the only issue with the motor. They're gonna inspect the top end a bit more this afternoon. Will play it by ear if the oil light comes on again.

Here's some very predictable Cali Photography shots from the track day. My wife wasn't able to come shoot so this is all I could get.

BW__4714_Jul3016_by_BC-CaliPhoto by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

BW__4414_Jul3016_by_BC-CaliPhoto by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Body roll for dayyyyyyyys haha. Usin' them curbs tho.

Will be addressing the suspension next, as well as the clutch.
Is that Streets or Button Willow? Can't really tell from just those 2 pics, but man, how I miss tracking my bucket. I've got at least 80 hours of Streets under my belt. I experienced ticking on my first visit as well, and it very simply turned out to be from running too light of an oil (10W30), big mistake. Switched to 15W50 and problem solved, although I did experience a little bit of windage. But, ultimately, I switched to Mobile 1 0W40 and haven't looked back since.

One day I'll get back out there (ugh, been saying that for almost a decade now)...

One of the last remaining members of the E36 M3 original owners club...a dying breed indeed.

What's worse is that the E36 M3 has sadly become the new Honda Civic of tuning...
Jump to top SIDEWAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-18-2016, 08:21:23 PM   #64
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Right on, this is Buttonwillow in fact. I hadn't driven there in a long time, I forgot how much fun it is there even though it's pretty flat. Streets is fun also, have you driven Big Willow? That's a really fun track, underrated IMO.

And good looking out on the oil, one thing I must say is that the lifter noise is entirely gone now with 15w40 haha. There's just entirely new sounds instead.
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 11:37:17 PM   #65
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Part 2 is in print now, January/February issue of European Car Magazine:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...rst-track-day/

Couple of terrible photos of some fun new goodies...

We just replaced the VANOS with a Dr. VANOS unit, a much needed repair and upgrade.

The next step is suspension and brakes. I've been singing the same tune for a while but this stuff takes time!

Going to be refinishing the wheels and doing some paint/body repairs sometime in lets say "early to mid" 2017.

But the first order of business before vanity is to get back on track now that the car is running properly, and hopefully go faster than 2:27
Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 04:52:33 AM   #66
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Haven't updated this thread in a while, and it's now officially just over a year since I bought the car. I've learned a lot from the forums, bought some dumb shit I didn't need, bought some of the wrong shit because I didn't know any better, but I did manage to also buy some cool shit so it's not a total wash. I think I can claim that I accomplished my goal of keeping the car "stock" for a year to learn the driving character. It's mostly stock, so I'm gonna just run with that. I like the car more today than the day I bought it, so that's a good sign. I'm a fan of stockpiling parts until I have everything I want, so there's a big update coming early May. Basically I've been doing this for a year and for the most part, loving it.

One quick note is I went a 2:13.xx after that last post in January. That's better but not "good" by any stretch of the imagination. Not gonna make excuses or blame the car though. I've been gathering parts I "think will help me go faster," and we're working with Marc and his guys at Bavarian Workshop, so I'm really excited about that. Dude builds such gnarly cars! I would list the parts we're covering but basically Cliff Notes are a comprehensive update and refresh for suspension, bushings and brakes. More on that after the instal. Part 3 of the European Car Magazine articles is on it's way as well.

Anyhow, here's some new shiny stuff to look at:

I bought these in pretty beat up condition and had them powder coated by my boy Chris at Velocity Powder Coating out in Riverside CA. I still have the BBS from my last post but I might flip those, not sure yet. I have always loved the ACS Type III so I couldn't resist the deal when these came up. I really like how the new finish came out on these, it's got a really nice flake (you can't call it that technically I guess) and the color is actually kind of a warm silver with just the slightest touch of gold tone. These will be my "street" wheels although I'm going to track on them at least once, end of May at a KW test and tune day I've been invited to at Streets of Willow. Yokohama S.Drive in 245/35/18 is the tire I went with. I'm slightly mystified by the spacer thing still, so if you guys have any input I would love to hear it. These are 18x8.5 ET43. I'm not slamming the car, and I will have an alignment that's aggressive but not a dedicated track alignment. Not afraid of a little fender roll. Input? I was thinking of ordering a couple of spacer sizes to try and returning the ones I don't use. I feel like it'll be trial and error. Either way, the wheels should look good with these underneath...

Chris did a great job on the coating for the wheels and brakes, highly recommend him. https://www.velocitypcco.com/

I'm getting anxious to do a massive update... My storage room is pretty much full too so yea. Looking forward to next month. The car is running well, haven't had any issues lately other than what's been beat to death in this thread already. I'm going to begin building a spare motor and trans towards the end of this year, most likely.

PS: Mods, please feel free to move this to the member journal section if you'd like. I started this thread before realizing that was probably the better place for it, sorry.
Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 02:23:21 PM   #67
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

good updates!

A few points to consider,
Your vanos probably went out from oil starvation as it relies on oil to properly operate. 5w30 is a perfectly good oil for these motors as someone else stated. Putting thicker oil in is only going to be a bandaid fix for the oil light. Its a shame your new pump and pickup didn't fix the issues but i would do rod bearings down the line and hope you don't spin one on the track before you get to it. I personally would have gone for the S54 oil pan setup over achilles. You can buy the setup used for around $600 and it will always be far superior to any baffle setup because of the dual pickups. I also had a terrible interaction with the people from achilles so i will never buy from them again or recommend them.
Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 09:41:20 PM   #68
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Good points, I won't argue the bandaid because you might be right. If could do it over again I would have done the bearings when I had the pan off, but it's water under the bridge. I'm sending an oil sample to Blackstone which hopefully will help indicate whether there might be a bearing issue. Just trying to delay that for a while if possible. I have a plan to do the motor and trans later this year, unless I grenade something sooner lol.

I went with the Achilles parts because I heard good things and wanted to work with a local company. I had a great experience with Mino and his team, and the parts are working well. Sorry to hear you didn't have a good interaction with them!
Old Wed, Apr-26-2017, 04:43:09 PM   #69
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I've learned a lot from the forums, bought some dumb shit I didn't need, bought some of the wrong shit because I didn't know any better, but I did manage to also buy some cool shit so it's not a total wash.
Very relatable to my situation. About a month into my ownership I realized my interior wasn't dove and was mulberry AFTER I bought nice and expensive dove door panels on eBay, LMAO. Was happy to find out it was mulberry, but I don't know why I didn't check the VIN for it originally... Living and learning (even the most common sense things) everyday with my old 90's BMW hoopty.
Jump to top thirtysixnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-26-2017, 08:10:23 PM   #70
NolliM3

United States

I just can't believe you don't have any rock chip on the front...(the first set of pictures) or I didn't see any...invisible protective shield? When I had gotten mine, I covered every rock chip and two years later they're back. Car looks great and loved the large format pics.

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote