BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Thu, Mar-15-2018, 08:05:41 PM   #11
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Laptimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
I had a totally different experience with Harry's Lap Timer and in my use it was very accurate for overall lap time. Using it with the iphones internal 1hz GPS sensor it was always within .1-.2 seconds of an actual timing transponder for overall lap time. Since the internal 1hz GPS sensor's update rate is slow, the data logged by Harry's Lap Timer was useless for the rest of the track but for the sole purpose of overall lap time it worked well as the software interpolates the start/finish line and can accurately calculate when you will cross even if the sensor is updating before/after the line.

Coupled with an external 5hz GPS sensor it was very accurate. Harry's Lap Timer was always within .01 seconds of an actual timing transponder. Also, due to the higher update rate, the speed data recorded while circling the track became more accurate as the sensor now updates 5 times a second vs 1 of the internal sensor. Here's proof from two separate tracks with the Harry's Lap Timer time displaying at the end of the lap in the upper right and the actual timing transponder sheet at the very end of the video.

Video 1
https://youtu.be/Di8HsBnBuyk

Video 2
https://youtu.be/MDqsDYJGAxk

I have since upgraded to an AIM Solo DL. It has a built in 10hz sensor and the data is better for analyzing a full lap but for overall lap time it's the exact same as when I had the cheap iphone app and external sensor If you plan to track a lot and are dedicated to it, the AiM Solo DL is a good tool as it offers a lot of data but the majority of the people I see using it don't look at the data and simply use it as a "lap timer" in which case you could save a ton of money and use Harry's Lap Timer on your phone
This makes me feel a lot better about using app laptimers on my iPhone. Especially since youíre local to me and all the tracks I want to go. I will not need any of the extra information the DL would give me, it was just one of those things where I thought since I needed to buy a laptimer, I might as well go all out. Hearing this though, Iíll probably stick to my app for now at least.
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 12:05:42 AM   #12
Tinnit

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
I had a totally different experience with Harry's Lap Timer and in my use it was very accurate for overall lap time.
Yep, that was my experience as well.
Jump to top Tinnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 12:47:17 AM   #13
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

I run Harry's with a qstarz 10hz gps, also very happy with it. It has junk data going under the bridge at T1 at Mid Ohio, but that doesn't affect the timer. I also don't do much analysis at the moment, so no reason to upgrade to the Solo.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 01:23:29 AM   #14
pat533i

In the garage:

United States

Must be dependent on the location and signal. I’ve had Harry’s tell me I was over a second quicker than I actually was. Speed was always way off too, even with the dual 10hrz gps. The most annoying part was getting everything sync’d to the phone. Bluetooth for gps and WiFi for the GoPro.

I ended up getting a solo, now I just push the on button and go. The predictive time is also very helpful for timetrial. You can know if you should keep pushing for a good lap, or back off and save the tires for the next lap. Sucks there is no software for Mac, I think the new solo has it though.
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 03:13:30 AM   #15
RedOctober330

United States

I use TrackAddict Pro and love it. In the Apple App Store, like $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top RedOctober330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 06:36:56 PM   #16
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Sounds like for west coast Harry's should work fine. Or maybe it's a cellular provider thing?
Old Sat, Mar-17-2018, 04:12:15 PM   #17
aeronaut

United States

I've used both Harry's and AiM Solo. The data analysis for the AiM Solo is much much more flexible and informative than Harry's. I also had problems with Harry's just screwing up at the worst times.

If 'just' lap times are wanted, with minimal analysis, Harry's is fine (if it works consistently on your phone).
For detailed (and enlightening) data analysis, better data sharing and comparing, but with a pretty big learning curve, AiM Solo.
Jump to top aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-17-2018, 05:02:25 PM   #18
m3elmo

United States

if you are on android track addict is free. I use that + the Dual remote GPS and put it near glass to get an accurate reading. I've found it to really useful combined with an OBD2 bluetooth device I have all that I need for amateur use. Our phones themselves are very powerful, they just don't have the adequate sensors, so supplementing them with those gives you a lot.