BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wed, Feb-10-2010, 01:47:12 PM   #11
ECSTuning
M3Forum Sponsor
 
ECSTuning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,408
Reputation: 0 ECSTuning is on a distinguished road

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
People are using redline for the diff as well, no?

What are the differences? I will need to do this soon.. I plan on buying oil, diff fluid, and tranny fluid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I hear of some people using redline as well...
Some do choose to run the Redline fluids, which are great! However for the E46 M3 differential most prefer the OEM FM Booster fluid because it has been designed and engineered by BMW to specifically address the M3 diff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaybar3 View Post
I believe that 3 of these are needed to perform a diff oil change?
How many are you selling exactly?
You are correct. Differential capacity is 1.2 liters, 3 bottles are needed for a complete drain and refill.

We carry a complete line up of fluids. We are offering as many as you need!

Thanks,
Joe
__________________

ECS Tuning your #1 source for all things German automotive
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com

Last edited by ECSTuning; Wed, Feb-10-2010 at 03:11:09 PM.
Jump to top ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Feb-10-2010, 02:19:51 PM   #12
m3e46freak
M3 Freq
 
m3e46freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,150
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 m3e46freak is on a distinguished road
Location: Mob City

Germany




Default

Dont tell me someone was scared to DIY on page 1.

You unscrew a plug drain the fluid and put the plug in and put fluid in.
Maybe some people are scared of getting there hands dirty

I did the OEM+fm booster...needs a bit of time to work into the gears or my differential is shot because I still have a slight bit of whining..
__________________
2009 r8 v10 White/Cinnamon


RIP


Rock Hard Abs Racing

KWV2!
18X10 CCW CLASSIC!
CPI Headers!
RESONATORS AND SUPERSPRINT!
DINAN!
FRANK!! 311RWHP-260Torque
CSL bumper - hack job from status gruppe.
m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting

ebay/craigslist verified 100% FEEDBACK
m3forum 96% FEEDBACK
m3post/e46fanantics Great FEEDBACK
zpost/bimmerforum Great FEEDBACK
Jump to top m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-11-2010, 01:37:48 AM   #13
IFX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 970
Reputation: 0 IFX is on a distinguished road
Location: South Fla.

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning View Post
Some do choose to run the Redline fluids, which are great! However for the E46 M3 differential most prefer the OEM FM Booster fluid because it has been designed and engineered by BMW to specifically address the M3 diff!



You are correct. Differential capacity is 1.2 liters, 3 bottles are needed for a complete drain and refill.

We carry a complete line up of fluids. We are offering as many as you need!

Thanks,
Joe



Please PM me a price shipped to area code 33067.

OEM fluid, 3 bottles as needed. Thanks! And also what is shelf life?
__________________



05 AW Vert/Imola
Red Roundels
Black Hood Grills
Black Fender Gills
Magnaflow Exhaust
Tinted Tails
6K HID Fogs
C/F Guage Cluster
Jump to top IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-11-2010, 01:52:59 AM   #14
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon
 
EYEHAVEYOU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,737
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 EYEHAVEYOU is on a distinguished road
Location: NYC

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
Please PM me a price shipped to area code 33067.

OEM fluid, 3 bottles as needed. Thanks! And also what is shelf life?
Don't forget you also need to buy two of the screw plugs; the poster in the DIY you linked to used a crush washer but if you read further on, that is not the recommended way to do it. For about $3 at www.getbmwparts.com there's no reason not to do it properly; part # is 33-11-7-525-064
__________________

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-11-2010, 02:06:09 AM   #15
IFX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 970
Reputation: 0 IFX is on a distinguished road
Location: South Fla.

United States




Default

The screw plugs as in the bolts for the diff?^

I'm a tad lost.. lol
__________________



05 AW Vert/Imola
Red Roundels
Black Hood Grills
Black Fender Gills
Magnaflow Exhaust
Tinted Tails
6K HID Fogs
C/F Guage Cluster
Jump to top IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-11-2010, 02:12:18 AM   #16
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon
 
EYEHAVEYOU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,737
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 EYEHAVEYOU is on a distinguished road
Location: NYC

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
The screw plugs as in the bolts for the diff?^

I'm a tad lost.. lol
There's a drain plug and a fill plug, they're identical pieces. You'll take the drain plug out first and let the fluid drain. Then you'll insert the new drain plug (which you'll purchase with the part # I gave you), and remove the fill plug; proceed to fill with the new fluid just until it overflows, then replace the fill plug with the other new plug you purchased.

Stealing from the link you posted,

Here's where the plugs go:



You need to buy two of these, do NOT reuse the existing ones

__________________

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-11-2010, 02:16:43 AM   #17
IFX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 970
Reputation: 0 IFX is on a distinguished road
Location: South Fla.

United States




Default

You say drain plug first, he says fill plug first.. Can I do either?
__________________



05 AW Vert/Imola
Red Roundels
Black Hood Grills
Black Fender Gills
Magnaflow Exhaust
Tinted Tails
6K HID Fogs
C/F Guage Cluster
Jump to top IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-11-2010, 02:17:30 AM   #18
RedM3/4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,061
Reputation: 0 RedM3/4 is a jewel in the rough

United States




Default I agree it's not complex, and the DIY is linked above

but you oversimplify a bit. A MAJOR point can be this:
ALWAYS remove the FILL plug first. These plugs are *tight*. If for whatever reason you can't get the fill plug out, and you remove the drain plug first, you're hosed, as your diff is empty and you can't refill !
A lot of experienced folks scribe the plug positions and return the plugs to that mark in lieu of a torque wrench when putting it back in, especially if you can't get the torque wrench in there.
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3e46freak View Post
Dont tell me someone was scared to DIY on page 1.

You unscrew a plug drain the fluid and put the plug in and put fluid in.
Maybe some people are scared of getting there hands dirty

I did the OEM+fm booster...needs a bit of time to work into the gears or my differential is shot because I still have a slight bit of whining..
__________________
98 M3/4, Supersprint catback, UUC red tranny mounts, Rogue SS w/UUC dual selector rod, wired V1.
Sold to my son, still in the family!
06 SMG/ZCP - April 09, MCS 2WR (replaced Dinan over Konis/replaced OE), Supersrpint street section3, RAC RG63, homelink with off-delay, multifunction steering wheel buttons, RacingBrake Front kit.
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-11-2010, 02:20:07 AM   #19
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon
 
EYEHAVEYOU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,737
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 EYEHAVEYOU is on a distinguished road
Location: NYC

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
but you oversimplify a bit. A MAJOR point can be this:
ALWAYS remove the FILL plug first. These plugs are *tight*. If for whatever reason you can't get the fill plug out, and you remove the drain plug first, you're hosed, as your diff is empty and you can't refill !
A lot of experienced folks scribe the plug positions and return the plugs to that mark in lieu of a torque wrench when putting it back in, especially if you can't get the torque wrench in there.
ADS
Thanks for the tip!
__________________

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-11-2010, 02:24:30 AM   #20
IFX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 970
Reputation: 0 IFX is on a distinguished road
Location: South Fla.

United States




Default

Thanks red, and eye.

Ok

So both plugs are same size, and I will have to purchase 2. Correct?
__________________



05 AW Vert/Imola
Red Roundels
Black Hood Grills
Black Fender Gills
Magnaflow Exhaust
Tinted Tails
6K HID Fogs
C/F Guage Cluster
Jump to top IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
aka, bmw, booster, differential, ecs, fluids, geunine, motorsport, tuning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing ECS Tuning :: Geunine BMW Motorsport Differential Fluids ~ AKA FM Booster in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)