BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 08:59:47 PM   #11
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: M6 anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEASE///M3 View Post
Trey went from E46 M3 to V10 M6 to X5M. If you want I can text him to chime in..
You don't need to go out of your way for it but it would be nice to hear more input.

The itch is bad guys. Impending doom for my M3 .
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 09:45:59 PM   #12
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

The M6 is a great car in terms of being highway cruiser GT car. It's got a fantastic motor, but other than that, it is a COMPLETELY different driving experience (so much so, that I can't imagine trading my E46 M3 for one). Unless you spend a large sum of your time on the interstate for long commutes, I think the novelty of the engine note will quickly wear-off and you will miss the driving characteristics of your E46 M3, which is the better driver's car. If you don't like throwing money at your aged E46....you will DEFINITELY not like throwing money at the aged V10....In every way, that car is more expensive to maintain and JUST as needy. Unless you have large sums of cash that is burning holes in your pockets that you just can't wait to throw at that car...I'd say run FAR away.

Go into it with the assumption that you will have to replace things proactively, just as frequently (and maybe even more so) than your current M3, and go into it expecting every bill will be double the cost of your current car. There is a reason these cars are depreciating so hard. Nobody wants to maintain them when the warranty is up (just like the E46 M3 -- or any M car for that matter). My personal opinion is, if you can't afford to buy two of them....then don't buy one of them.

"Never taste the wine that you can't afford."

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 10:56:29 PM   #13
rpearl555
So Shiny So Chrome

United States

The M6/M5 would be a great highway car if the V10 didn’t get silly low mpg. Only drove a M6 once and it wa quite supple ( I like )
Didn’t get to romp on it or even press the power button unfortunately so fml
Jump to top rpearl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 11:14:26 PM   #14
e46IX

Canada

I don't have any direct experience with the E63 M6, but have driven a few E60 M5's both SMG and 6MT.. my thoughts

1. The E63 is ugly and hasn't aged well at all. Typical Bangle era front nose... yuck
2. It's a heavy car that is difficult to remove weight from, and is less practical than the e46 (pinch backseat non-folding and trunk space aint all that)
3. Might ruffle some feathers with this one... but honestly the S85 is a POS. Makes squat for torque, chews through rod bearings, has horrendously bad fuel economy and is pretty boring to drive. Doesn't have the S54 character.
4. The 6MT is more reliable for sure, but clutch intervals are more frequent and the 6MT isn't geared right for the car it holds it back. The SMG in these cars are a disaster waiting to happen.
5. Loads of electrical issues like CCC failures and what not

E46 M3 is a better car pound for pound. If you want to step it up to a relatively affordable 4 door with a monster engine get a C63/E63. Much better car, better engine, better reliability.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 11:58:45 PM   #15
liam821

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
I have an E60 M5 as a daily. It's an amazing machine, but I do find myself wishing it were a 6 speed (mine is SMG). That said, if you're sick of the cost of maintaining an E46, don't even think about one of these cars. Even an oil change is twice the price (it takes 9 quarts), let along if something serious goes wrong.
I owned an e60 M5 with a 6spd manual for a while as my daily. It was an amazing daily driver with an incredible engine. I had a 08 and other than having to change spark plugs once and one bad coil it was totally reliable without any issues. Oil changes are expensive, I paid around $300, because 10 quarts of oil. But general maintenances are in line with other M cars from BMW. Just remember, 10 cylinders, so 10 spark plugs, 10 coils, so things like that add up quickly.

The worst part about the car, IMHO, was a 16 gallon tank and 10-14mpg. I generally had to fill up every 180 miles, pretty awful. Oh, and having to explain to my wife that I needed another set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports...

Get a 6MT and don't worry about SMG issues.
e73 xDrive35d Platinum Gray Metallic on Cinnamon
Jump to top liam821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-23-2017, 12:23:32 AM   #16
babydocjd

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46IX View Post
E46 M3 is a better car pound for pound. If you want to step it up to a relatively affordable 4 door with a monster engine get a C63/E63. Much better car, better engine, better reliability.
THIS.

///M Life
Jump to top babydocjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-23-2017, 05:08:22 AM   #17
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46IX View Post
I don't have any direct experience with the E63 M6, but have driven a few E60 M5's both SMG and 6MT.. my thoughts

1. The E63 is ugly and hasn't aged well at all. Typical Bangle era front nose... yuck
2. It's a heavy car that is difficult to remove weight from, and is less practical than the e46 (pinch backseat non-folding and trunk space aint all that)
3. Might ruffle some feathers with this one... but honestly the S85 is a POS. Makes squat for torque, chews through rod bearings, has horrendously bad fuel economy and is pretty boring to drive. Doesn't have the S54 character.
4. The 6MT is more reliable for sure, but clutch intervals are more frequent and the 6MT isn't geared right for the car it holds it back. The SMG in these cars are a disaster waiting to happen.
5. Loads of electrical issues like CCC failures and what not

The NA 6.2 motors have head bolt issues. Basically another grenade prone engine. I've heard good things about the TT ones though, but time will tell.
Jump to top SeanE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-23-2017, 01:30:49 PM   #18
Paulo M

United States

My friend had one, so Id drive it a few times. Its heavy sure but it hides it well. The powerband is similar to the e46 m3, mostly up top. My friends c63 and ISF felt so much faster.

In stock form theyre pretty ugly and looks 98% like the standard 6series. With nice wheels and drop they can look fairly nice with beautiful exhaust note. Personally Id rather have e60 m5. If Im to have a weird looking car Id at least want it to look manly as hell lol
Old Thu, Nov-23-2017, 06:59:32 PM   #19
djjvr
OEM+

In the garage:

Denmark

That V10 has one of the most glorious exhaust notes of any car IMO. Yeah they don't drive as nicely as an E46 M3, but hell, if it's just being slung around town anyway why not enjoy that screaming engine from the leather-clad lounge of an interior?

Build Journal Instagram
Jump to top djjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-23-2017, 08:14:11 PM   #20
werfer

In the garage:

United States

I see the m3 as a sports car and the m6 as a super car (just the e63). Both with the running costs to match. I used to think the m6 was really ugly but now I think it can look really good blacked out and lowered

WTB Black Manual Z4M Seats
Jump to top werfer is offline   Reply With Quote