BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Oct-08-2017, 04:52:00 AM   #71
808elise

United States

Default Re: What's your view on superchargers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
It seems like they're around $15k on the cheaper end, even turbo guys always go back for more PWER (more $$$$$$$$$$$), turbo builds seem to always take +12months, tuning seems to be a nightmare, and they're always breaking something (ig always in the shop fixing or getting upgraded for the 20th time haha).

But damn I've road in a few and when they're dialed in there's nothing like it (and pretty damn unnecessary - I'd kill myself haha)
Yep it's a money/time pit. A headache to say the least but when it's finished they are crazy fun. Sounds like a bottle rocket. Mines never breaks anything it just needs bugs to b worked out. Stupid stuff like a lot of heat in eng bay so coolant reservoir cracks easy or bad fuse in one of three fuel pumps, etc. There is a huge amount of extra work that goes into a 700whp to get it over 1000. The fuel system must b upgraded and a stand alone must b utilize. It's expensive and frustrating. Mines is back and forth for paint mostly. Soon to b interior.

700whp is awesome. Keep it 700 or below and u won't have issues if u build it the right way with a full list of quality parts.

And no. I don't want more power. Pretty good with where I'm at.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Oct-08-2017, 05:27:14 AM   #72
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Pm me if u want a ride. I'd b happy to take any of u.
Um yeah..over hear...ill ride shotgun

I really wish ray ( playskool ) would comment in here. Went from na to sc to turbo. Well known track car. Looking for more power on the track for his 220k mile car with max psi turbo kit. Runs ms109...i would think hed say turbo is the way to go.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768

Last edited by skillzo1; Sun, Oct-08-2017 at 05:33:50 AM.
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-08-2017, 07:36:04 PM   #73
808elise

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1 View Post
Um yeah..over hear...ill ride shotgun

I really wish ray ( playskool ) would comment in here. Went from na to sc to turbo. Well known track car. Looking for more power on the track for his 220k mile car with max psi turbo kit. Runs ms109...i would think hed say turbo is the way to go.
Well make a vaca to Hawaii late next yr and it would b my pleasure to give u a ride.

I will tell u never heard turbo guy say he wanted to go back to na or sc.
Old Sun, Oct-08-2017, 08:07:02 PM   #74
CharlaybitM3
I dont like DSC

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Lol. You sound Canadian. Honestly your power range sounds great. I just wanted more. Linear is boring. As long as it sticks why not? You don't see a whole lot of four strokes running around a motocross track. Though they are far less linear in their delivery you see pros on properly setup two strokes.

Of course it's spendy. So is a properly setup sc. I had two sc setups. Ess was boring in comparison to turbo. The wall u speak of is actually 4-8.5k conservatively. Mines is abt 3800 up. I have 0 slippage as I Star Trek through gears. Look back and it all disappeared by time I get through 3rd.

Sc is a little faster in top of range. A little. Better go 550 or 470 lvl if u want a diff u can feel. Independent meth will help. Oh and still spend all the same noney on reenforcement, brakes, cooling, tuning perfection, maint, stickies, etc.

Your two thirds the $ there. Don't sell yourself short. Most people can find a way to convince themselves that they should cheap out until they actually ride in a turbo m3. Pm me if u want a ride. I'd b happy to take any of u.
I already want a turbo car... But I'll take you up on that ride anyways!

Also, about your Motocross example... AFAIK all the AMA pros are on 4strokes now... Have been for several years. But its all because the 4strokes have a ton of torque... Like a turbo car. Years ago when I rode they were just starting become competitive and I can recall battling with a guy thru an entire race. Me on a decently built 125 and him on a 250 4stroke. We swapped position several times but up every single hill he'd pull me like a frieght train. Torque wins races...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Not putting miles on your M3 is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend..." -Someone Awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
I like it on mine, tips didn't line up perfect, but good enough. Its off a newer car that makes more power so I know it makes more power on my car.

You can make a custom flange to connect it to your stock header with JB weld.

Sound is an 8/10, I was expecting it to sound like a V8 since its a V8 exhaust. It doesn't, anybody know why this is? Does it have to do with how I installed it?
Jump to top CharlaybitM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-08-2017, 09:10:52 PM   #75
808elise

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlaybitM3 View Post
I already want a turbo car... But I'll take you up on that ride anyways!

Also, about your Motocross example... AFAIK all the AMA pros are on 4strokes now... Have been for several years. But its all because the 4strokes have a ton of torque... Like a turbo car. Years ago when I rode they were just starting become competitive and I can recall battling with a guy thru an entire race. Me on a decently built 125 and him on a 250 4stroke. We swapped position several times but up every single hill he'd pull me like a frieght train. Torque wins races...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Cool! U guys always say u coming to visit but only one forum member ever showed up. Looking forward to it.

Yep I suppose that was a poor example as tech has really moved on. Haven't rode bikes since I joined military. I just remember the two stroke bikes and banshees killing it in my day. Loved the power bands.
Old Sun, Oct-08-2017, 10:30:53 PM   #76
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Everyone rides 4 strokes now (myself included) as the powerband is FAR more tractable (read: linear). The motor never 'hits' and so you're always in control with the rear wheel hooked.

This same benefit applies to sports cars - the last thing you want down a canyon run is a torque value that doubles within 1000rpm mid-turn. You want linear for this type of driving.

Less exciting? Sure. But much more effective.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 02:41:51 AM   #77
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Turbos have their place, but I would not want to turbo the S54.

SC's keep the character, response, and linearity that we all love so much.
As SC builds get more ambitious, sure they will be more expensive and will require additional maintenance. But for stage 1/2 cars, not much more is required than stock maintenance intervals (especially true for SC's that have shared oil). It's not so much torque that it tears apart the chassis or suspension. The internals show no additional wear. Okay, the alternator/starter will be a bigger PITA if/when that is needed ...
My Dinan SC system has been on the car for about 41K miles (from 46K to 87K). In that time I have done nothing that I wouldn't have done to a stock car except the SC belt once. OCIs are a little more frequent, but that's also because I don't drive my car much. Only normal maintenance here.

Blackstone UOA just received:

Dyno at EAS a few years ago (right before a thorough inspection with all fluids, filters, valves, coils/plugs, etc.). You can see the boost slowly builds with revs, the HP climbs smoothly to redline, and the torque never drops - delicious. And this is as basic of a SC system as it gets.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal

Last edited by WyattH; Thu, Oct-12-2017 at 03:10:09 AM.
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:10:52 AM   #78
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Yes, that does look quite nice^^. Just like stock but with ~75 more whp that steadily builds across the tach. Wonderful.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 12:36:40 PM   #79
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Looks like your tune could use a bit of tweaking from 6700rpm to redline.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 12:40:56 PM   #80
e46IX

Canada

That's not impressive when you consider you can have a dyno graph like that these days being NA.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote