BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

View Poll Results: E46 M3 vs C63 AMG monster mobile
C63 prefacelift 6 15.79%
M3 M3 MTHREEEEE!!!!!!! 32 84.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 05:00:41 PM   #21
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: Should I or should I not I (E46 M3 vs C63 AMG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfer View Post
Yeah personally I wouldn't take one over the 46m but if you're drawn to the 46m and the c63 amg, I think the e92m is a good compromise that keeps you from buying 2 cars
I think that's where things get boring. Where you try to meet in the middle. Going from e46 m3 is too similar in terms of driving dynamics and in many ways a downgrade in terms of raw feel. At least with the c63 you'll get the extreme opposite of the e46 with massive power and grunt. E90 m3 is awesome but coming from an e46 it's almost a sidestep when it comes to high revving car with little torque (and heavier).

I'll choose an e92m over a c63 anyday btw, but op is trying to justify the change from his e46 to a different car.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 05:29:10 PM   #22
e46IX

Canada

My mechanic is an AMG head so I've driven quite a few of these from E55's to E63/C63's to SL65's. I don't like the dash on the W204 C-Class looks cheap. The motor is ridiculous, its nice to just step on the throttle and have the car fishtail so easily. But as the others said the trans is a letdown, I actually think the 5-speed in the older E55 is better than the newer 7-speed.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 05:41:47 PM   #23
M3n00b
2012 M3F Formula 1 Game Champion!

In the garage:

North Korea

They're totally different cars, obviously. I've owned an '11 c63 and e36m at the same time and kept the e36. The power of the c63 is nice but it's too much for the rear tires to handle so it's not easy to have fun on the street. My vote goes to the 46. I really would have regretted letting the 36 go.
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 07:52:47 PM   #24
Voss
Function over Form

In the garage:

United States

I say try the merc. If you get a screaming good deal and end up not liking it, sell it for hopefully a profit and buy another $12k M3.
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 08:11:08 PM   #25
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

C63!!!
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 08:24:10 PM   #26
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voss View Post
I say try the merc. If you get a screaming good deal and end up not liking it, sell it for hopefully a profit and buy another $12k M3.
Nope. Never another 12k M3. Gaurunteed it will not have all the work I've put into mine and I never want to do that again. At least not now.

You have all bought up some good points. The e90 is just not an option. Driven them and I felt nothing. Might as well been in a 335. No offense to anyone that has one, just didn't do it for me.
I would love to keep both but that's just not an option. Ugh. Car needs new paint too. Mainly hood and trunk but for me to enjoy it, needs a full respray. FaCK.
I really just don't have the time to keep up the M3. I wish I did but Everytime it needs something I dread it these days. Oy vey. I'll go look at the merc despite the landslide victory for the M3 on m3forum.com
The more I think about it the more I don't want the prefacelift. The ato is not as nice, the interior is much much worse and you can't get the development package that has the sls connecting rods pistons and misc other pieces for 481hp. I'll see if I can check it out.
I don't want another project car so I'd only go for it if it was literally perfect condition.
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 09:22:30 PM   #27
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Seems like an odd pair of cars to be considering over one an other tbh.

Do you want an analog sports coupe with timeless design both inside and out, or a slushbox torque monster. I like burning tires as much as the next guy, but I really don't like the old c class interior (exterior doesn't do a lot for me either). Older merc infotainment systems are god awful in my experience
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 09:46:16 PM   #28
babydocjd

United States

Working at a BMW car dealership and having hands on time with every make and model you can imagine from Audi's to Maserati's there are cars that have more technology, go faster, are more comfortable, and look more up-to-date. However, there are few cars that give you a visceral and connected feel when you drive them and the E46 M3 is one of them. It's senses aren't dulled by electronic steering, it doesn't have amplified engine and exhaust sounds playing through your interior speakers, it doesn't have a suspension that makes you feel like your riding on a cloud. This car is like our modern day '67 Stingray Corvette, it will be a timeless classic car in +10 years that just continues to exude sex appeal. At this point in the game you can either get on board for the long haul and watch the car appreciate in value and rarity, or sell it and regret your decision 6 months from now.

///M Life
Jump to top babydocjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 10:15:42 PM   #29
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
Seems like an odd pair of cars to be considering over one an other tbh.

Do you want an analog sports coupe with timeless design both inside and out, or a slushbox torque monster. I like burning tires as much as the next guy, but I really don't like the old c class interior (exterior doesn't do a lot for me either). Older merc infotainment systems are god awful in my experience
Not too odd of a comparison. Both are fun but in different ways, no?
That's what makes the decision hard you know what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydocjd View Post
Working at a BMW car dealership and having hands on time with every make and model you can imagine from Audi's to Maserati's there are cars that have more technology, go faster, are more comfortable, and look more up-to-date. However, there are few cars that give you a visceral and connected feel when you drive them and the E46 M3 is one of them. It's senses aren't dulled by electronic steering, it doesn't have amplified engine and exhaust sounds playing through your interior speakers, it doesn't have a suspension that makes you feel like your riding on a cloud. This car is like our modern day '67 Stingray Corvette, it will be a timeless classic car in +10 years that just continues to exude sex appeal. At this point in the game you can either get on board for the long haul and watch the car appreciate in value and rarity, or sell it and regret your decision 6 months from now.
Yeah. I guess I need to figure out how to get both.
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 11:00:52 PM   #30
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydocjd View Post
.............However, there are few cars that give you a visceral and connected feel when you drive them and the E46 M3 is one of them. It's senses aren't dulled by electronic steering, it doesn't have amplified engine and exhaust sounds playing through your interior speakers, it doesn't have a suspension that makes you feel like your riding on a cloud. This car is like our modern day '67 Stingray Corvette, it will be a timeless classic car in +10 years that just continues to exude sex appeal. At this point in the game you can either get on board for the long haul and watch the car appreciate in value and rarity, or sell it and regret your decision 6 months from now.

Well said.

My is that many of us suffer from AADD (automobile attention deficit disorder). We constantly want something different and find ways to justify why. There is no cure, but I can tell you that going from one car, to two, has made it a lot better for me.

Having a DD that fits your needs and then another car like the e46 M3 as a pleasure/track/or whatever car makes it a lot easier to live with and makes it extra special.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler

Last edited by nasieg; Thu, Jul-20-2017 at 05:43:21 PM.
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote