BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Mon, Sep-30-2019, 08:25:13 PM   #11
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 100k E92 M3 as daily driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCLARK View Post
I considered this (an E90 M3) as a daily driver when I got rid of my E60 M5 (which was a gas guzzler) proved not worthy of being a DD compared to the2013 R56 Mini John Cooper Works I have now. Once I got that, the M5 was gone and the E90M3 wasn't even on my mind to get anymore. I got exceptional handling due to its lightweight, gets good gas mileage, and is modded pretty good with just 250hp, so it goes like stink whipping thru traffic with ease! i don't think i'll ever get rid of it, unless to get a 2013 GP2 for rareness.
You should try an R53, if you think the R56 is good

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: Intravee and various compatible AI Net components.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Sep-30-2019, 08:51:15 PM   #12
KCLARK

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
You should try an R53, if you think the R56 is good
well i went round and round with several previous mini owners (from old to new) AND with my mechanic who works on mainly JCW's, them and it was unanimously told to me: IF YOU WANT RAW hardcore to the edge type of handling then yes you're right R53. But if you want to be able to mod and hang with E90's M3 in terms of power and also want reliability then it was a no brainer to get a 2013 N18 turbo (not supercharged), so that's what I did and don't regret it one bit!

With the right mods on a N18 JCW Turbo, they have the ability to make E9xM3 owners have this look of disbelief. Ive ran my car against plenty with half the hp and gave them all the business! Its the weight difference that kills them! Plus once I get these AST coilovers its going to be even worse! Granted mine is modded like i said with a stock JCW turbo /RPM stage 2 tune w/11lb wheels, full Akropovic DP & Exhaust, Forge intercooler with all engine piping swapped out to bigger bore hard pipes throughout. So im def not making an apples to apples comparison here. Ive ran a bunch of R53's and that car makes you tired on a long trip. R56 is more comfy and a happy medium between the two R53 and new F series (which is too soft).
Jump to top KCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-30-2019, 09:20:33 PM   #13
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

R56 didn’t do it for me. My wife had one when we met. No longer

Fwd, lag, crappy steering feel, wasn’t reliable, and it was a huge PITA to work on.

Old Tue, Oct-01-2019, 01:19:06 AM   #14
chldplz

United States

If you want a BMW to daily id suggest a 335D, 328D, or 328i.

Also depends on what else is going on in your life, if you have the expendable cash then do it. But I'd rather buy a second house than a second m3.
Jump to top chldplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-08-2019, 02:08:07 PM   #15
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here has a 100k+ mile M3, and if you could tell me how reliable it has been so far past the 100k mark. The specific car I’m looking at has 108k miles, and seems to have been maintained fairly well. The guy just took it in for a $2,500 service at BMW (fluids drained, replaced throttle actuators, so on). If I were to buy the car I would of course do rod bearings right away.

Anyways, I know these cars are expensive to maintain but I’m not too worried about that. I’m making sure to budget money for any unexpected “thing”, plus I work at BMW and get a discounted rate on parts and labor. I was mainly wondering if this car would be a dependable daily for the next year or two. My commute isn’t bad, so I wouldn’t be driving it a crazy amount; maybe 15k a year TOPS, and I would be sure to keep it well maintained.

Edit: was also wondering if anyone has gotten rod bearings done at the dealer, and how much they were. I understand that it’s often cheaper to get them done at an independent shop but my discounted rates + a new 5-series loaner might make it worth it.
The E9X will probably go down in history as the most reliable M car.

I wouldn't hesitate to daily one with over 100k miles. Do rod bearings and you're good to go.

Also, I'm amazed at how many people want to drive a piece of shit every day. When I rent one of the pieces of crap people are suggesting my stomach churns and I can't wait to get out of it. Life is too short to drive garbage every day.

The crappiest car I can stomach to drive every day is a F56 Mini Cooper S and only because it has a manual so it's reasonably entertaining.
I have three M3s right now and would love to have a fourth for winter duty.

These cars are excellent daily drivers!
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-08-2019, 02:22:12 PM   #16
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The E9X will probably go down in history as the most reliable M car.
I think that goes to the e39 M5.

The only s62 specific engine requirement is a timing chain tensioner every ~100,000 miles, which is a 5 minute job. Otherwise it just needs oil changes... indefinitely? Several cars on M5board at this point with 400,000+ miles with original bearings, no rebuild, etc.

Spark plugs are only reasonable for making spark, so they last a long time.

low revs, so no bearing issues.

No direct injection, so no walnut blasting needed.

No chassis weak points.

Probably the longest lasting BMW cooling system?

100% of them are manual, so no automatic (of any sort) issues.

No iDrive, so no iDrive issues.

No turbos, so no... boost leaks, heat based issues, turbo issue, huge/intricate cooling system, etc.

A low rev and low specific output engine and no automatic transmission option aren't a bad combo for reliability

Old Tue, Oct-08-2019, 03:29:19 PM   #17
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:
I think that goes to the e39 M5.

The only s62 specific engine requirement is a timing chain tensioner every ~100,000 miles, which is a 5 minute job. Otherwise it just needs oil changes... indefinitely? Several cars on M5board at this point with 400,000+ miles with original bearings, no rebuild, etc.

Spark plugs are only reasonable for making spark, so they last a long time.
low revs, so no bearing issues.
No direct injection, so no walnut blasting needed.
No chassis weak points.
Probably the longest lasting BMW cooling system?
100% of them are manual, so no automatic (of any sort) issues.
No iDrive, so no iDrive issues.
No turbos, so no... boost leaks, heat based issues, turbo issue, huge/intricate cooling system, etc.

A low rev and low specific output engine and no automatic transmission option aren't a bad combo for reliability
S62 falls into the same category as the US E36: an afterthought of an M engine. I did think of writing 'actual M cars' when writing the earlier post as I thought someone was going to come to mention the E36 or E39.

I did see a E39 M5 make it to 400k miles on Jalopnik which is really cool.

There are plenty of E9Xs available without idrive or automatics and all of them have strong chassis, cooling systems, no turbos, no direct injection, etc. Rod bearings are an issue on E9Xs, fortunately it takes 7h to swap them and there are aftermarket ones with increased clearance.

M was strongly related to high specific output NA engines. Before they went turbo, in Europe the only one that did not follow that rule was the E39 M5.

I'm sure a E39 M5 is a nice daily driver just the same. I would just miss the high specific output engine which is a big reason why I like M cars.
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-08-2019, 04:32:31 PM   #18
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
S62 falls into the same category as the US E36: an afterthought of an M engine. I did think of writing 'actual M cars' when writing the earlier post as I thought someone was going to come to mention the E36 or E39.

I did see a E39 M5 make it to 400k miles on Jalopnik which is really cool.

There are plenty of E9Xs available without idrive or automatics and all of them have strong chassis, cooling systems, no turbos, no direct injection, etc. Rod bearings are an issue on E9Xs, fortunately it takes 7h to swap them and there are aftermarket ones with increased clearance.

M was strongly related to high specific output NA engines. Before they went turbo, in Europe the only one that did not follow that rule was the E39 M5.

I'm sure a E39 M5 is a nice daily driver just the same. I would just miss the high specific output engine which is a big reason why I like M cars.
Agreed. I think the e9X M3 is one of the more reliable M cars for sure. But, the rod and main bearings are real reliability knocks against it, compared to the S62. Replacing them with increased clearance bearings addresses the lottery failure mode (probably), but you are then still on standard high rev engine intervals... plus the main bearings lurking in the background. And the fact that some of the cars are automatic and/or iDrive drag down the average compared to the e39 (which is guaranteed neither).

Though I also think the current turbo engines aren't actual M engines, either (in fact, I think they're less M than the S62).

The S62 is also incredibly responsive to a couple tweaks. A friend of mine has one with cams and exhaust, and it suddenly feels 100% like a real M engine-- peak power at redline, 100+ hp/L, etc. I never really cared for the S62 that much till I drove his bolt on version. It's a funny engine-- BMW did all the hard work to make an M engine, but then stuck the same exhaust manifolds as the 160 hp M60 on it and super low spec cams.... completely undermining their work. But, the heads flow well, it has ITBs, it revs well, it has the oiling system necessary for high G loading-- headers/cams/tune and you add a ton of power and character (high RPM hp) with very little effort. It's amazing how much it transforms it into feeling like a real M engine.

... I don't know why the e36 has a reputation for being reliable. Front shock tower failure, rear shock tower failure, front sway mount failure, rear sway mount failure, RTAB pocket failure, 5th gear lean, oil pump nut, oiling system that's not really up for track use, fuel system that's not really up for track use, diff that overheats with track use, and the instruments are pre LED, so you're often replacing interior bulbs.

Old Thu, Oct-10-2019, 02:46:59 AM   #19
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Agreed. I think the e9X M3 is one of the more reliable M cars for sure.

... I don't know why the e36 has a reputation for being reliable. Front shock tower failure, rear shock tower failure, front sway mount failure, rear sway mount failure, RTAB pocket failure, 5th gear lean, oil pump nut, oiling system that's not really up for track use, fuel system that's not really up for track use, diff that overheats with track use, and the instruments are pre LED, so you're often replacing interior bulbs.
Wonder how the euro e36 is in terms of reliability, that might be the ticket lol.
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-10-2019, 07:41:35 PM   #20
pbonsalb

I doubt a more complicated 20-25 year old motor is more reliable than a simple 20-25 year old motor. I doubt the Getrag 420 is more reliable than the ZF320. The 210mm diff may be more reliable than the 188mm diff. Other parts are common to US and Euro. However, I’d rather have the Euro E36M3 even if it is less reliable.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote