BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Fri, Nov-22-2019, 12:51:31 AM   #21
rilla
Registered User
 
rilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 290
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 rilla is on a distinguished road
Location: Buffalo

United States




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

I ran PA4 on an Audi S4 and they didn’t feel much better than an all season tire in snow. Of course they are much better than a true snow tire in the dry. Personally I wouldn’t run them on a RWD car if you must travel on snowy days.
Jump to top rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-22-2019, 03:35:27 AM   #22
rovert604
Registered User
 
rovert604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Age: 41
Posts: 829
Reputation: 0 rovert604 is on a distinguished road
Location: Vancouver, BC

Canada




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Despite the name, M-track is awesome for snow/ice. Lets you actually move unlike full DSC, but also prevents you from spinning out during those moments you give just a bit too much throttle


Oh yeah! M track is great in the snow. It allows me to be slightly sideways all the time without cutting off the fun. People must think Iím complete out of control when itís just straight and wide. LOL Iíd say 95% of the time M track mode will work for me then when it gets super deep on an incline, Iíll turn it all off because itís so easy to control the drift when youíre going max 15mph.

If I need to straighten out to not scare an opposing driver, Iíll ease off throttle and sacrifice some speed to widen the path then Iíll ease back onto throttle to increase momentum in case I have to plow through part of the snow bank or a part of the snow bank that was thrown out on the roadway from a 4x4 playing. Haha
__________________
--Trevor in 604--
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Jump to top rovert604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-22-2019, 02:46:50 PM   #23
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 39,219
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

Do you want a performance tire that'll still function in the snow? Or do you want a snow tire-- amazing in the snow, not great in the dry? Both are "winter" tires, but very different experiences.

If winter performance tire, michelin PA4.
If snow/ice tire, michelin X-Ice 3.

I have my cars on PA4s, and my wife's cars on X-Ice 3s. The PA4s aren't amazing when the going gets snowy, but they let me continue to enjoy driving the car year round and are functional in the snow.

LM60s are garbage in the dry. They're so bad I feel like they should be considered a safety hazard. I tried a set, took them off after 500 miles because I felt unsafe on them.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-22-2019, 07:46:18 PM   #24
Sandeep1212
Registered User
 
Sandeep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,387
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Sandeep1212 is on a distinguished road
Location: Toronto

Canada




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Despite the name, M-track is awesome for snow/ice. Lets you actually move unlike full DSC, but also prevents you from spinning out during those moments you give just a bit too much throttle
Good call!

They should have put another button in the car and marketed it as if they also gave us a 'snow mode'. But in reality have the exact same coding as m track. lol
__________________


2003.5 TIAG Black 6MT Gone
2003.5 Carbon Black Laguna Seca Blue SMG Current
Supersprint V1/Supersprint straight pipe sec 1/ Supersprint X-pipe/OEM Muffler/Eventuri Intake/TCKline Single Adjustable 500lbs Front 600lbs Rear/TCKline Camber Plates/Turner Adjustable Rear Control Arm/Turner Monoball RTABs/Turner Monoball FCABS/ Whiteline Front Sway / Brembo GT 6 piston Front 4 Piston Rear/OEM CSL Trunk/ CSL rep 1 piece lip
Jump to top Sandeep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-25-2019, 04:17:09 PM   #25
bullet0770
Registered User
 
bullet0770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 404
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bullet0770 is on a distinguished road
Location: OHIO

United States




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilla View Post
I ran PA4 on an Audi S4 and they didnít feel much better than an all season tire in snow. Of course they are much better than a true snow tire in the dry. Personally I wouldnít run them on a RWD car if you must travel on snowy days.
Were they that bad in snow ?
Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Do you want a performance tire that'll still function in the snow? Or do you want a snow tire-- amazing in the snow, not great in the dry? Both are "winter" tires, but very different experiences.

If winter performance tire, michelin PA4.
If snow/ice tire, michelin X-Ice 3.

I have my cars on PA4s, and my wife's cars on X-Ice 3s. The PA4s aren't amazing when the going gets snowy, but they let me continue to enjoy driving the car year round and are functional in the snow.

LM60s are garbage in the dry. They're so bad I feel like they should be considered a safety hazard. I tried a set, took them off after 500 miles because I felt unsafe on them.
Thanks for your reply Ian.

Are these on you M3 wagon ? is that rear wheel drive ? Will I be fine with PA4 in Ohio Winters ?
Jump to top bullet0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-25-2019, 04:40:03 PM   #26
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 39,219
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet0770 View Post
Were they that bad in snow ?
Thanks for your reply.



Thanks for your reply Ian.

Are these on you M3 wagon ? is that rear wheel drive ? Will I be fine with PA4 in Ohio Winters ?
AFAIK they never made an awd M3
(yes, it's rwd)

The PA4s aren't great in the snow/ice. They are functional (summer tires and all seasons are not).

If you'll be fine depends on what you're expecting. If you're a doctor who has to get to the hospital regardless of conditions, get the X Ices. If you have a less pressing job that closes up when it's truly bad out, and are okay with (significantly) less snow/ice performance in exchanging for enjoyable winter driving when it's dry/cold out, get the PA4s.

From every tire I've experienced (many), you can't have good snow/ice performance and enjoyable driving dynamics in the dry. You just have the prioritize and choose.

That said, the LM60s are far, far worse in the cold dry than the Michelins. Dangerously bad, imo.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-25-2019, 04:53:51 PM   #27
bullet0770
Registered User
 
bullet0770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 404
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bullet0770 is on a distinguished road
Location: OHIO

United States




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
AFAIK they never made an awd M3
(yes, it's rwd)

The PA4s aren't great in the snow/ice. They are functional (summer tires and all seasons are not).

If you'll be fine depends on what you're expecting. If you're a doctor who has to get to the hospital regardless of conditions, get the X Ices. If you have a less pressing job that closes up when it's truly bad out, and are okay with (significantly) less snow/ice performance in exchanging for enjoyable winter driving when it's dry/cold out, get the PA4s.

From every tire I've experienced (many), you can't have good snow/ice performance and enjoyable driving dynamics in the dry. You just have the prioritize and choose.

That said, the LM60s are far, far worse in the cold dry than the Michelins. Dangerously bad, imo.
haha no I was talking about your wagon with M3 conversion :P

I can work from home when it is really bad, but these will be fine if I get caught ? drive me home and no sliding around ?
Jump to top bullet0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-25-2019, 05:00:43 PM   #28
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 39,219
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet0770 View Post
haha no I was talking about your wagon with M3 conversion :P

I can work from home when it is really bad, but these will be fine if I get caught ? drive me home and no sliding around ?
Yes, but the M3 converted wagon is M3 converted-- so M3 drivetrain (rwd).

I've never driven in the snow and not slid around-- including in my truck with studded snow tires. Isn't the fun of driving in the snow the sliding around part?

If you don't find joy in sliding around, you should probably get non performance winter tires.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-25-2019, 05:08:48 PM   #29
bullet0770
Registered User
 
bullet0770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 404
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bullet0770 is on a distinguished road
Location: OHIO

United States




Default Re: Winter tire recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Yes, but the M3 converted wagon is M3 converted-- so M3 drivetrain (rwd).

I've never driven in the snow and not slid around-- including in my truck with studded snow tires. Isn't the fun of driving in the snow the sliding around part?

If you don't find joy in sliding around, you should probably get non performance winter tires.
sliding in control is fine : )

I know little about sliding as I am the guy with all season tire in GTI lol . When I first started driving in snow, I did not know if we need different tires for snow :P. Once slid and was stoped by the curb haha
Jump to top bullet0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:15:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Winter tire recommendation in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)