BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 06:39:57 PM   #51
klodkrawler05

United States

Default Re: E46M3 Time Attack - One Lap - Gridlife Build

Differential could be a part of that, however I was at gingerman for a test and tune 2 weeks before Gridlife and the car was very well balanced.

the only thing that changed was lowering the front ride height .75" and the car become extremely loose primarily mid turn but also into exit.

If you're familiar with Gingerman, turns 5-6 are a brush of the brakes to set up for 5, trail braking into 6 then power on, that was near impossible without looping the car after the height adjustment.

Also during the test and tune turns 7-8-9 had just a touch of mild understeer to drive around, Right after transitioning from turning right to turning left in 8 you could go WOT from 9 until the brake zone to 10b and just breath off as needed to bring the trajectory tighter as needed. After the adjustment that was simply not possible as the car would enter a drift before the car even got boost built up.

Data confirmed we were exiting 9 about 8mph slower after ride height adjustment (pre swaybar removal) compared to 2 weeks before with the nose .75" higher.

A diff is high on the list of things I'd like to get for the car, just costly.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-22-2018, 10:26:01 PM   #52
AXDB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Is it loose because of suspension or differential though? When you say mid turn and exit I tend to think you guys are having trouble putting power down.

Supercharged so huge horsepower. Us NA guys certainly donít have that problem.

2003 M3 Carbon Black / Cinnamon
Jump to top AXDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 02:28:14 AM   #53
M3AN ONE

United States

I find this thread very informative especially since I plan to go Supercharged. Has anyone tried direct port cryo2 injection into the intake manifold or is there a reason that I am unaware of. I just dont want to run into any track heat soak issues when I make the switch.

2003 M3 Track/HPDE
2018 Triumph 765 RS
2017 Ram 1500 Daily
94' Six Spd 800rwhp *Gone
2005 M3 convertible *Gone
1995 850 T5R *Gone
Jump to top M3AN ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 05:20:05 AM   #54
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Are you trying to run full 20-25 min sessions?
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-24-2018, 02:22:54 PM   #55
M3AN ONE

United States

Quote:
Are you trying to run full 20-25 min sessions?
Yes 20-30 min

2003 M3 Track/HPDE
2018 Triumph 765 RS
2017 Ram 1500 Daily
94' Six Spd 800rwhp *Gone
2005 M3 convertible *Gone
1995 850 T5R *Gone
Jump to top M3AN ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-25-2018, 02:54:15 PM   #56
klodkrawler05

United States

I've been looking at water/meth injection the last few days, that is apparently the route one team went for their supercharged m3 that they did OLOA with.

No work was done this weekend on the car because I was in Peru at the Optima DriveAutox event.

The event was pretty awesome, laid back atmosphere, tons of cool cars to look at and between my co-driver and I we got just shy of 30 runs.*

I know some folks like working between heats but with so many runs on the same course and no working we were able to try out all sorts of suspension tweaks hunting for more time.

The head to head bracket battles to cap off the weekend are a ton of fun also. The same course for the weekend is slightly modified to make it a continuous loop, then 2 cars head out and start across from each other, first person back to their starting line wins the match. Those runs aren't timed however there is a iPad recording at the line so that photo finishes can be reviewed.

We headed into this weekend thinking that the class we were running in (SCB sport compact boosted) might be a bit of a soft class, especially since other classes had names like Mike Jr Johnson, Danny Popp and Brian Peters however ultimately the top 3 in our class were the top 3 fastest FTD!
I was about half a second off the alien drivers times but my co-driver managed to put up a quick time that secured 3rd FTD.

Of course what good is a wing if you don't eat lunch on it?

The final bracket battle came down to my co-driver vs this insanely clean (still rotary) rx7.

co-driver emerged victorious and got to take home this 7lb hunk of engraved crystal:

And a random shot from out in grid:

If one of these events winds up coming within driving distance I'd highly suggest giving it a try, lots of seat time and lots of really fast drivers to see how you stack up, it was quite a bit of fun!

Next stop, Gridlife Autobahn this coming weekend.
Old Thu, Aug-02-2018, 02:01:19 PM   #57
klodkrawler05

United States

Made a minor upgrade to the car, swapped out the cigarette lighter for a dual USB port. This allows me to directly plug in my gopro battery eliminator with one less adapter. Should also come in handy during OLOA next year with keeping phones charged.

We're heading to Blackhawk Farms this weekend for a HPDE day which should be a nice laid back day of fun. I've never been to the track so looking forward to learning someplace new!

I'm making a run at the "hoonigans wanted" challenge so if anyone has a spare 60 seconds to watch some burnouts and see a little history about me I'd appreciate the view!

Old Thu, Aug-02-2018, 02:26:30 PM   #58
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Brad, I'll be instructing @ Blackhawk. See you guys there.
-Rudy
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-02-2018, 02:31:11 PM   #59
klodkrawler05

United States

Quote:
Brad, I'll be instructing @ Blackhawk. See you guys there.
-Rudy
Excellent! it'll be nice to put a face to a name!
Old Thu, Aug-09-2018, 04:54:58 PM   #60
klodkrawler05

United States

I don't always recap events we go to with the car since I figure people mostly just care about seeing the build but this past weekend we were at Blackhawk Farms (my first time there)
I realized it has been entirely too long since I've been to a track just for fun and not competition, we camped at the track and had lots of fun hanging out with friends, getting some seat time and learning some things.

The track has really nice facilities that are perfect for camping:

I got to put faces to several names that I know online but hadn't had the pleasure of meeting. it was great meeting Rudy and we spent a bunch of sessions playing follow the leader with Pete and his M3, it was a fun game of cat and mouse, he's got a ATS diff in his car that really lets power be applied early, combined with 100tw tires he comes out of the corners a fair bit harder than we could although we'd catch back up towards the end of the straights, both cars had a total of 6 drivers with 3 different drivers in each car throughout the weekend. Impressively the lap time spread between them was very similar.

Anyone that's not bored by the blocks of text may have noticed I mentioned 3 drivers instead of the usual 2 driver team of Matt and I.

PWC/IMSA driver Tom O'Gorman was hanging out at Blackhawk Sunday so I tossed him the keys with Data and video running.

If you ever get an opportunity to have someone at that level drive your car I highly recommend it!

Tom immediately went out and clicked off lap times that were 2+ seconds faster than Matt and I. One of the most astounding bits of data we found was exiting turn 4 to head to turn 5 Tom goes WOT a full 140 feet before me and 200 feet before Matt (who was catching an oversteer event to be fair)

After reviewing data and video Matt went out and was able to shave another second off his time and close the gap to Tom from 2 seconds to 1. Loaning the car out for a session resulted in a pretty consistent amateur driver dropping a little over a second! that's way cheaper than any mods we could put on to shave 1 second

I headed out for the next/last session excited to see what sort of improvements I could see by emulating Tom's technique however on the 1st lap exiting turn 5 I lost a hose and blew coolant all over the windshield (water plus whatever residual coolant was left from winter storage)

I was able to shut the car down almost immediately and coast off track to get towed back to paddock. I don't suspect any major damage but we have to wait for a new hose to arrive so that we can fill it back up with water and run leak down and compression tests to be sure.