BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 08:29:15 AM   #21
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Default Re: Is a Schrick intake manifold a good upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
It has a ~79mm throttle body opening vs the S52 and S50 ~69mm.
It is tuned to give both low end torque and top end power.

It's a better piece than the M50 manifold. If you can afford it, get one.
Are you sure your Schrick wasn't bored out to accept the larger VAC throttle body?

The Schrick is MUCH nicer. Unlike the M50 that requires the bending of lines and hoses to fit, it bolts right up like the factory S52 manifold. I have had both and went back to the Schrick. Braymond will attest it really is such a nice piece to install especially if it's paint matched to the rest of the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by das borgen View Post

which means it's heavier and more prone to heat soak.........
plastic on intake manifolds, when done right is much better than a cast metal part...the plastic runners are smooth, unlike the Schrick off the shelf...the Schrick needs to have its insides polished

m50 still the winner all things considered.....cost not considered, then a modified schrick is the clear winner
As jvit said in the other thread, the difference in heat soak is minimal. E36's are well-documented as BMW's first attempt at CAD/cost-cutting measures so the manifold was not exempt. All previous motors used metal manifolds (M20, S14, etc.... even S50b32 had a metal one)

Smooth runners are not necessarily better; in fact engine builders will tell you it is more important on the exhaust side than the intake side. Theory is the rougher surface/turbulence on the intake helps with the atomization of the fuel.

Comparing CFM's does not tell the whole story. The M50 is like putting cams in, you give up low end for more top end and it becomes more of a peaky motor whereas the Schrick's driveability is much nicer and it has more power everywhere. TQ is even better than the stock manifold because it was tuned specifically for the flow of an S52. Tough to explain but it feels way more like the way BMW would want it to.

The only reason i'd send it to VAC for polishing is if I had the same done to the head. Port matching everything would be nice, but is the last step after you've done all the other mods...
Jump to top twentyseven is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 11:23:04 AM   #22
pbonsalb

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post

Comparing CFM's does not tell the whole story. The M50 is like putting cams in, you give up low end for more top end and it becomes more of a peaky motor whereas the Schrick's driveability is much nicer and it has more power everywhere. TQ is even better than the stock manifold because it was tuned specifically for the flow of an S52. Tough to explain but it feels way more like the way BMW would want it to.
An S52 with an M50 intake manifold is hardly a peaky motor. Don't forget that BMW put the M50 manifold on the 1995 M3 with 3.0L S50 engine. That was a great motor. And the larger displacement 3.2l S52 in the 1996-1999 M3 works even better with the M50 intake manifold. Even with the M50 intake manifold, it makes more power on the low end than the S50 that BMW saw fit to put the M50 intake manifold on from the factory.

I would spend the substantial price differential on another mod.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-26-2012, 10:11:31 PM   #23
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Default Don't forget, BMW put your manifold on the M50b25 too ;)

I know - I have owned a 95 M3. Good engine but shorter stroke and a little more revvy to begin with.. still didn't have the low-end grunt though which is a large reason many people choose the 96-99. Peak numbers may be similar but not everyone drives over 4000rpm all the time - 20lb/ft is a nice difference in daily driving on N/A cars. I spoke to a fellow on Bimmerforums who put an Extrude Honed Schrick on his S50 (VAC sells an adapter block off plate FYI):

"on the 95 the thing was night and day. Pulled much better than stock, seemed to get up to top end much quicker, and added a great sound to it.

I never did get a chance to take it to a dyno before I sold it....sad really. So I can't say for sure how much hp/tq it actually adds, but I definitely can say it adds something...more than any M50 manifold can get you. I suppose that was on my 95...I'm not sure how a 99 performs/feels. But is it worth it....who knows. If you have the cash and are in it for the long haul, then sure. If not, you might want to think twice.

Would I do it again (on a 95), yes. And I will."

Don't get me wrong, the M50 manifold gets the job done and gives most people what they want. It is a peakier 'sensation' though since the powerband is more linear vs. the flatter power curve of the stock manifold. The Schrick simply has more development behind it and is more desirable to the pickier owners.. When you can score a used Schrick for $400-700 vs. an M50+adapter kit for $350, it's worth considering to those who can spare the extra money.

Last edited by twentyseven; Thu, Jan-26-2012 at 10:21:57 PM.
Old Fri, Jan-27-2012, 12:05:50 AM   #24
M3only

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
With our Port and Polish work, the Schrick M52 Manifold flow is improved to surpass the performance of any other intake manifold on the market making our VAC-Schrick M52/S52 Aluminum Intake Manifold the manifold of choice for racing and high performance applications.

Of course no numbers to post with that.
For a part that costs $1000, you shouldn't have to pay extra port or polish it to make it better than a $75 M50 manifold. It should come that way from Schrick.
Jump to top M3only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-27-2012, 12:48:29 AM   #25
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3only View Post
For a part that costs $1000, you shouldn't have to pay extra port or polish it to make it better than a $75 M50 manifold. It should come that way from Schrick.
It is not necessary - it's just an optional upgrade. People talk about the Schrick like it's very rough inside; it's not. It's a nice casting...

Btw, a new M50 manifold is $600.
And it's made of plastic.
Old Fri, Jan-27-2012, 12:56:24 AM   #26
M3only

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
It is not necessary - it's just an optional upgrade. People talk about the Schrick like it's very rough inside; it's not. It's a nice casting...

Btw, a new M50 manifold is $600.
And it's made of plastic.
Why would you buy a new M50 manifold for $600? Pick up a used one for $75 and be done with it. And so what if it's plastic? BMW designed it that way and it works.

Last edited by M3only; Fri, Jan-27-2012 at 01:00:51 AM.
Jump to top M3only is offline   Reply With Quote