BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Feb-10-2012, 11:37:33 PM   #41
GOFAST GUY

Canada

Default Re: E36 VF Kit, Vortech Charger, Intercooler kit coming!

All this talk of boost is making me want spring to come early so I can work on my Dinan project!!! Damn I hate winter.

1998 M3 Coupe: Lots of upgrades and the list continues.

1998 M3 Sedan; Supersprint exhaust, ram air intake, Shark chip. Sold
2000 540i: 18" split spoke chrome rims. Sold

2003 4.6IS X5 - Fluid Union motors 2" lift kit, Bilstein struts, 20mm rear wheel spacers
Jump to top GOFAST GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Feb-13-2012, 02:01:07 AM   #42
jskicet

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmat1k View Post
Hate to bump a slightly old topic... but after spending many hours scouring the internet...this is the most recent topic regarding upgrading our VF Engineering E36 kits.

Any updated info?

My car puts down 280 to the wheels. It's great...but you know how it goes. More is good!

This intercooler looks good, but im hesitant to spring on it because of the 2psi drop. I know shortening the pully will bring it back but making my engine work harder doesn't sit well with me.

I've heard some folks have found a way to get an RMS Aftercooler on their VF Engineering Kits... is this true? How much is this gonna run me...and what kind numbers are we looking at?

I know VF Engineering abandoned us, but we've still got each other. LOL.
Todds kit from My-Mods.com works great. I drive it daily as well as it sees many track days. I'm going a step it up a bit further and finally upgrade to the 803 maf (still running the 325 maf) and 42lb injectors and getting it retuned hopefully next week being I just installed some S52 cams (was still running 2.8 cams) Really woke the car up but now running a little lean at full boost. It seems to stay around 10lbs of boost after the cam install. One thing to remember is I'm still running the stock A/C condenser fan, A/C condenser, lower panel and also an oil cooler. With his kit nothing changes except a nice increase in power. Also I've experienced no belt slip whatsoever. When running the Rolex 24 Daytona Motorspeedway course you are under full boost for a very long time...redlined in each gear, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and then hit 6th gear and the car stills pulls hard all the way into the braking zone. This goes on for over 30 minutes a session, 4 times a day for 3 days straight. I think I'm pushing it harder than most people will ever do on the street without any issues. His set-up is what the vf kit has been missing since day one. I would do it again without a second thought. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by jskicet; Mon, Feb-13-2012 at 02:08:14 AM.
Jump to top jskicet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-13-2012, 05:30:41 AM   #43
illmat1k

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskicet View Post
Todds kit from My-Mods.com works great. I drive it daily as well as it sees many track days. I'm going a step it up a bit further and finally upgrade to the 803 maf (still running the 325 maf) and 42lb injectors and getting it retuned hopefully next week being I just installed some S52 cams (was still running 2.8 cams) Really woke the car up but now running a little lean at full boost. It seems to stay around 10lbs of boost after the cam install. One thing to remember is I'm still running the stock A/C condenser fan, A/C condenser, lower panel and also an oil cooler. With his kit nothing changes except a nice increase in power. Also I've experienced no belt slip whatsoever. When running the Rolex 24 Daytona Motorspeedway course you are under full boost for a very long time...redlined in each gear, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and then hit 6th gear and the car stills pulls hard all the way into the braking zone. This goes on for over 30 minutes a session, 4 times a day for 3 days straight. I think I'm pushing it harder than most people will ever do on the street without any issues. His set-up is what the vf kit has been missing since day one. I would do it again without a second thought. Just my 2 cents...
What kind of numbers are you putting down and at what psi? how much of an improvement from before the intercooler?
Old Tue, Feb-14-2012, 12:40:18 AM   #44
jskicet

United States

With increase in boost roughly 35 at the wheels (with very little heatsoak at the track). Hopefully I'll have some new numbers to look at after installing the S52 cams, maf, and full Euro supersprint exhaust with the retune this week. Should be around 325ish easily at 10 psi. It's a 2.8 with an M54 bottom end so your 3.2's should make more.
Old Wed, Feb-15-2012, 10:11:23 PM   #45
illmat1k

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
With increase in boost roughly 35 at the wheels (with very little heatsoak at the track). Hopefully I'll have some new numbers to look at after installing the S52 cams, maf, and full Euro supersprint exhaust with the retune this week. Should be around 325ish easily at 10 psi. It's a 2.8 with an M54 bottom end so your 3.2's should make more.
This is quite promising. After weeks of research, I'm starting to feel that this FMIC kit is the only feasible way to upgrade our VF-E kits without spending an arm and a leg.

I was quoted for an VF-E -> RMS conversion kit which includes the RMS Aftercooler. I won't go into details, but let's just say though I'm sure the price is fair, there's no way I could justify spending that much to basically say goodbye to the VF-E Kit and put on an RMS. It get's to a point where it doesn't make any sense to spend so much money to get more power out of an E36.

But at the same time, if I can spend ~$1200 in parts and some more in labor to get a front-mount intercooler and 4 more psi of boost, I may be able to justify that. I'm putting down 280whp... if I can just hit 320 or more I'd gladly call it a day.

Please be sure to keep us updated with the status of your kit. I'm real interested to see how it fares up after continuous track usage...and would love to hear some numbers after the upgrades and another dyno.

I think you and one other person are really the only folks to put this kit to the test. I'm relying on you to give me a first-hand account of how it works
Old Wed, Feb-15-2012, 11:34:38 PM   #46
jskicet

United States

Not a problem. I've had the Vf kit since 2008 and have put over 40k on it since the install. I installed Todd's FMIC I think around August of last year. Probrably have around around 8k on the intercooler already with several track events. Heading to VIR for 3 days in May. Whats nice is that yea you definitely have in increase in horsepower but for me whats really nice is that the car still pulls almost as hard on the last lap as it does on the first lap. Before after 2 laps I was equal to or slower than a NA M3. So even if you only hit 300 rwhp it feels a lot stronger being the charge is a lot cooler. Still waiting on the injectors to arrive so it may be a little bit longer than planned before I hit the Dyno. Hopefully before months end. I've got Road A in March.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2012, 08:53:16 PM   #47
illmat1k

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Not a problem. I've had the Vf kit since 2008 and have put over 40k on it since the install. I installed Todd's FMIC I think around August of last year. Probrably have around around 8k on the intercooler already with several track events. Heading to VIR for 3 days in May. Whats nice is that yea you definitely have in increase in horsepower but for me whats really nice is that the car still pulls almost as hard on the last lap as it does on the first lap. Before after 2 laps I was equal to or slower than a NA M3. So even if you only hit 300 rwhp it feels a lot stronger being the charge is a lot cooler. Still waiting on the injectors to arrive so it may be a little bit longer than planned before I hit the Dyno. Hopefully before months end. I've got Road A in March.
Awesome!
Old Fri, Feb-17-2012, 01:49:59 AM   #48
camdinans3
Resident Rabble Rouser

United States

That all sounds good but...must be honest I still bought the rms kit. Just not enough of these kits around, I'm not ok with the pressure drop. Seems like it does work however which is good. I'm glad someone designed an alternative.

///95 Supercharged Club
Jump to top camdinans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2012, 05:40:10 PM   #49
illmat1k

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdinans3 View Post
That all sounds good but...must be honest I still bought the rms kit. Just not enough of these kits around, I'm not ok with the pressure drop. Seems like it does work however which is good. I'm glad someone designed an alternative.
If my M3 was stock I'd surely go that route. However there's a VF Stage 1 sitting in there and I've gotta figure out the best way to squeeze some more out of it without spending $5,000.

I heavily considered converting to RMS + Aftercooler, and honestly still am considering it. At the end of the day though, I just can't spend that much on my E36. I'm better off putting that money away for a 2013 Shelby GT500

But if I can spend $2,000, get some intercooler action @ 10psi I'd be a happy camper. Keeping this topic bumped cause I'd like to hear how other E36 VF'ers are holding up.
Old Wed, Feb-22-2012, 06:46:53 PM   #50
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

Give Marco a call. A 3.5" HFM, a 3.33" supercharger pulley, 38#/hr injectors, and tuning from Active. For less than $1K, 9+psi, and about 320 rwhp.

That's about all you can get. I just don't want to lose the aux fan, or brake ducts. If I really want more, I'll pull the SC and put in a turbo. The SC just isn't worth investing a lot of money in.