BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Thu, Nov-12-2015, 08:09:20 PM   #1
Avetiso

United States

Default custom E46 M3 expansion tank connecting hose

Hello forum,

So yesterday I was replacing my T-stat and as I rotated the upper cooling hose without thinking of the small plastic return line, I broke it. Looked up the price of a new one: $85 plus a few days wait. Or, Rogue Engineering has one that is an upgrade for $90, although it is obviously made of generic Home Depot type hardware and again, is a few days wait away. So, I decided to figure it out and make my own bullet-proof hose.

I'm not much of a DIY writer, and since this is really easy I'll just upload pics and details and let you figure it out. If you can't, I'm sorry to inform you that your parents are related.

Go to Home Depot and buy this:

One 3/4" to 1/2" PEX tubing reducer.
One 90 degree elbow, 1/2" to 1/2".
4 1/2" hose clamps (the wider the better, but any should be fine)

Go to O'Reily or NAPA (or any other auto parts store) and buy 6 feet of 1/2" radiator/heater hose. Your choice in hose needs to be capable of withstanding the temperature of coolant.

This is all super basic, but the main take away is that the 3/4" to 1/2" PEX reducer is a PERFECT fit for the connection that the coolant line leads up to. That was an awesome find for me.

Just look at this:

There is no need for any locking mechanism on the reducer. Lube it with soap before installing (I didn't and it was just fine). It sits SUPER tight. After putting it in, I can't pull it out with my bare hands. Only pliers. I wiggled it intensely as the car was running and nothing came out at all.

Then this is how I did the rest. Figure out the best method for you:

This is how it looks installed:

Hope this helps and saves you some money! Probably a lot better for track reliability, too. Only downside I see here is maybe using brass fittings isn't good but since such a tiny amount of coolant flows through it, it's probably negligible.

Happy wrenching.
Jump to top Avetiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-13-2015, 04:04:58 PM   #2
pip86

United States

Default Re: custom E46 M3 expansion tank connecting hose

Pics don't work for me...
Jump to top pip86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-13-2015, 07:44:54 PM   #3
Avetiso

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip86 View Post
Pics don't work for me...
Hm... they are on photo bucket. Set to public. Not sure what else to do.
Old Fri, Nov-13-2015, 10:38:08 PM   #4
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

I had same issue. But I ordered and waited a few days from ecs. I can see your pics .. Great alternative.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts

Last edited by daytonaviolet; Sat, Nov-14-2015 at 12:56:01 AM.
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-14-2015, 12:35:23 AM   #5
dtmpowerjc
dtmpowerjc

United States

Rogue engineering best quality part I've ordered. Super easy install. OPS is a great idea for a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top dtmpowerjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-21-2015, 06:16:56 PM   #6
pip86

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
Hm... they are on photo bucket. Set to public. Not sure what else to do.

I was probably just too early. They show up just fine. Simple and effective solution.
Jump to top pip86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-27-2015, 03:39:01 AM   #7
Gtfour

In the garage:

Canada

How is the 3/4" to 1/2" reducer supposed to stay in the OEM hose connector without a groove machined for the metal clip?

Check the aluminum part of the Rogue Engineering setup. There is a groove machined so the fitting can't pop out.

Also, isn't 1/2" hose a bit big, OEM hose is like 8mm. Seems like the hose would be a bit loose on the male part of the overflow tank.

Jump to top Gtfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-30-2015, 07:41:03 PM   #8
Avetiso

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
How is the 3/4" to 1/2" reducer supposed to stay in the OEM hose connector without a groove machined for the metal clip?

Check the aluminum part of the Rogue Engineering setup. There is a groove machined so the fitting can't pop out.

Also, isn't 1/2" hose a bit big, OEM hose is like 8mm. Seems like the hose would be a bit loose on the male part of the overflow tank.
It doesn't pop out because it sits in there incredibly tight and the system doesn't make nearly enough pressure to displace it. Like I said, I wasn't even able to remove it with my hands no matter how hard I tried. You have to pull it out with a tool. It isn't going anywhere.

And the 1/2" hose is not all that loose on it. I had to tighten the hose clamp pretty good but that's it. It's not like that part of the hose has to withstand much.

You could definitely make it better if you ordered more specific size hoses or whatnot off the internet or a specialty store, but I had to make do with basic stuff because I needed the car the next day.

Not a drop of coolant anywhere to be seen around the area still.
Old Fri, Jan-22-2016, 09:04:11 PM   #9
mwat
2001 AW/IR 6MT Coupe

United States

Bump! Just made this part cost me a total of $15.76. Really a life saver when you break this part doing a water pump job.

Thanks OP!
Jump to top mwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-12-2018, 09:31:26 PM   #10
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

reently had this hose crack on me at the radiator port. please do yourselves a favor and inspect this, it's a poor design with material that becomes ultra brittle.

instead of using the Home Depot part i used my old port (it's hollow) and had a brass fuel fitting that i pressed in from the back side. had i used an o-ring i may have been fine with just that it's such a compressed fit. but i used some JB Weld epoxy to seal fitting into the plastic screw-in port. i then used some rubber fuel line and two hose clamps to bridge the end of the unbroken hose to that port. sorry hadn't taken photos but it's pretty basic.

i will install a new Genuine BMW hose/port as i'm just kind of a "keep it OE" person. but can't believe some dealerships ask $130 for this part. suggest people buy it at FCP Euro for under $70 shipped and Lifetime warranty. incase it prematurely cracks again.

but best to do this job on your time and not allow it to snap from age. although it's at a high point in the cooling system, it still leaks pretty good.
-SANS SUNROOF-
Jump to top OldFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote