BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sun, Aug-13-2017, 01:22:13 AM   #1
STAATS
Registered User
 
STAATS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 192
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 STAATS is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter

Bit of a left field question here and I doubt anyone is going to jump up straight away with the answer but I will try anyway...

One of the events I intend to enter has 130kph speed limit for cars which only have a 4pt Half Cage (unrestricted for cars with a 6pt Full Cage)... I am going the 4pt Half Cage route as I plan to keep this car on the road and our regulations here are such that you can have a fully licensed car with a half cage but you need this very restrictive road permit if you have a full cage, and hence a route i don't want to go down...

From factory our car already has a 250kph speed limiter (which we normally remove)... but I wanted to know if it was instead possible to reduce the speed limiter to 130kph (which I imagine is easily possible by changing some settings) BUT be able to switch between speed limited and unspeed limited say using the "Sports" button or some other externally installed switch?

As all of the other events I enter will not have this speed limit... Obviously one solutions would be to have two tune files and swap between them... which is I guess what I will do if I can't find a more agreeable solution... but obviously switching on the fly would be preferable...
__________________
STAATS

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Aug-13-2017, 12:44:33 PM   #2
Biosphere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 446
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Biosphere is on a distinguished road
Location: Stavanger

Norway




Default Re: On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter

you can buy mss54 flasher then you can have diffrent maps selection (speed limit) choosen
Jump to top Biosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-13-2017, 01:08:44 PM   #3
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 33,884
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter

Mssmapper supports using the cruise control resume speed button as a pit lane speed limiter for as long as you hold it.

Or you could use mapper to run multiple maps with different speed limits and switch between them on the fly.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-14-2017, 12:12:13 AM   #4
STAATS
Registered User
 
STAATS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 192
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 STAATS is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Mssmapper supports using the cruise control resume speed button as a pit lane speed limiter for as long as you hold it.

Or you could use mapper to run multiple maps with different speed limits and switch between them on the fly.
This seems like a perfect solution for what I am looking to do... just a few questions as the website wasn't explicitly clear on a few things...

1) Can you still use the Cruise Control function? I am imagining that the map switching with the Cruise + / - buttons works when the Cruise Control is off and then when you turn Cruise Control on the CC takes over those buttons again? (or something to that effect, as obviously I won't need Cruise Control on the track but I will use it on the street)

2) It says you need a MSS54HP(CSL) ECU... Now I have/had a MSS54 ECU but I have had it modified by TTFS to be "CSL-spec" which I am pretty sure is just upgrading some of the "chips" on the board and NOT adding the H-bridge for flap function... As a result I will be able to run CSL software (well without the flap but yer) so would this ECU be able to use the MSSMapper software and tune switching functions?

Thanks in advance guys... honestly didn't believe there would be such a readily available and seemingly simple solution to my problem on this one hahah
__________________
STAATS

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 11:21:50 AM   #5
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 33,884
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAATS View Post
This seems like a perfect solution for what I am looking to do... just a few questions as the website wasn't explicitly clear on a few things...

1) Can you still use the Cruise Control function? I am imagining that the map switching with the Cruise + / - buttons works when the Cruise Control is off and then when you turn Cruise Control on the CC takes over those buttons again? (or something to that effect, as obviously I won't need Cruise Control on the track but I will use it on the street)

2) It says you need a MSS54HP(CSL) ECU... Now I have/had a MSS54 ECU but I have had it modified by TTFS to be "CSL-spec" which I am pretty sure is just upgrading some of the "chips" on the board and NOT adding the H-bridge for flap function... As a result I will be able to run CSL software (well without the flap but yer) so would this ECU be able to use the MSSMapper software and tune switching functions?

Thanks in advance guys... honestly didn't believe there would be such a readily available and seemingly simple solution to my problem on this one hahah
1) Yes-- when cruise control is on (cluster light on), then the steering wheel controls do cruise control. When CC is off (cluster light off), they control MSSMapper.

2) AFAIK, you can't CSL convert without converting your ECU to an HP, so you should be good to go.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 12:12:12 PM   #6
STAATS
Registered User
 
STAATS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 192
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 STAATS is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
1) Yes-- when cruise control is on (cluster light on), then the steering wheel controls do cruise control. When CC is off (cluster light off), they control MSSMapper.

2) AFAIK, you can't CSL convert without converting your ECU to an HP, so you should be good to go.
Awesome these are the answers I want to hear

One last question I didn't think of until later. Can this be used with maps provided by Evolve? As you would need to use the MSSFlasher interface to load on the multiple maps instead of using the Evolve-R interface.... If the answer to this question is yes then I think MSSTuning has another customer
__________________
STAATS

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 02:02:36 PM   #7
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 33,884
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAATS View Post
Awesome these are the answers I want to hear

One last question I didn't think of until later. Can this be used with maps provided by Evolve? As you would need to use the MSSFlasher interface to load on the multiple maps instead of using the Evolve-R interface.... If the answer to this question is yes then I think MSSTuning has another customer
Assuming your tune isn't from the period in which they were encrypting it (which I believe they'll removed for free, if it was, if you email them), you could pull the Evolve tune using MSSFlasher or BMWFlash and load it into MSSMapper that way.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-16-2017, 12:54:22 AM   #8
STAATS
Registered User
 
STAATS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 192
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 STAATS is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter

Thanks so much man. This has been extremely helpful

For anyone that digs up this thread in the future looking to do the same or a similar thing here are the useful links to save you some time and digging:

Paffy's post about developing MSSMapper: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=496440

MSSTuning website to source MSSMapper and MSSFlasher: http://www.msstuning.com/
__________________
STAATS

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing On Demand (ie switch activated) Speed Limiter in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)