BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 05:29:57 PM   #1
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Default Designing an SMG Pump Relocation Kit

With there not being any SMG 'Relocation Kits' on the market to remove the SMG pump from it's stock location, where the engine heat kills the actuator seals, fries the temperature sensor, and overall kills our SMG pumps, I am looking to possibly develop a kit that would remedy this issue by moving the pump to the passenger side "drug-bin." This has been done by a few people on here and seems to be the only best solution. I have been waiting for someone to come out with an easy to install kit solution, and at this point, there is no telling when it will ever become available, so I am really leaning towards having my own designed.

A good friend of mine and E46 M3 owner is a wizard when it comes to welding and fabrication, and he has the ability to make custom length hydraulic lines which would be needed. I think the kit should be relatively simple to design and bring to market. I know there would be a huge demand if the solution is simple and effective.

Here is the catch: Would anyone be willing to TEMPORARILY lend me their dead SMG pump? I will need to have an SMG pump on hand to design this kit and the one currently in my car will not be an option since I rely on my car as a daily-driver. If you would be willing to TEMPORARILY lend me your broken SMG pump, I will be sure to return it to you afterwards in the same pristine condition that you have lended it to me with. Let me know if anyone would be willing to donate to the cause. Feel free to comment down below or PM me.

Let's have an off-the-shelf solution for the this heat-death that our SMG units are plagued with.

EDIT: I may need to borrow the lines and actuator as well. Same thing applies though, anything lended to me for the cause will be fully returned!
EDIT 2: Looks like I have everything I need on the way. Looking forward to this adventure.

Cheers.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, RE El Diablo Muffler , BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, KW V3 Coilovers, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Street DD friendly Camber Plates compatible with KW V3 Coilovers
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Wed, Aug-09-2017 at 06:39:25 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 05:45:31 PM   #2
m3nt0s

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Designing an SMG Pump Relocation Kit

If I had a dead SMG pump, I'd lend it to you in a heartbeat. Unfortunately (fortunately?), mine is totally functional.

I want a kit for this so badly!
Jump to top m3nt0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 05:50:34 PM   #3
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3nt0s View Post
If I had a dead SMG pump, I'd lend it to you in a heartbeat. Unfortunately (fortunately?), mine is totally functional.

I want a kit for this so badly!
Same here. If I had a second vehicle I would just use mine to design it. Surely, there is 1 person on here that has a dead (or alive) pump sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold, considering how many manual swapped cars there are on here.

I want to reiterate this person would only be temporarily lending me the pump with me fully returning it, so that person will have no fear if their intentions are to eventually sell their used SMG pump.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, RE El Diablo Muffler , BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, KW V3 Coilovers, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 06:09:15 PM   #4
suaveflooder

United States

I have everything you need if you want to pay for shipping....pump is not dead, but on it's way out
Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 06:10:31 PM   #5
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Subscribed.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 06:21:22 PM   #6
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
I have everything you need if you want to pay for shipping....pump is not dead, but on it's way out
You sir, are incredible! PM inbound!!

Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 06:40:10 PM   #7
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

i had one but threw it in the trash just a few weeks ago

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 06:48:37 PM   #8
jared212

United States

Sign me up for a bracket with the actuator toward the firewall. That position provides room for folks with catch cans or traction fluid coolers in the bin.

I used this heat sleeve to route the lines behind the head . . . https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GBNLDK/

Felt like it is easier to work with than zip ties and provides a little peace of mind.
Jump to top jared212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 06:55:25 PM   #9
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared212 View Post
Sign me up for a bracket with the actuator toward the firewall. That position provides room for folks with catch cans or traction fluid coolers in the bin.

I used this heat sleeve to route the lines behind the head . . . https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GBNLDK/

Felt like it is easier to work with than zip ties and provides a little peace of mind.
This is good to know! Thanks for sharing. I defintely like the idea of placing it in a position to allow for room for catch-cans, ect. It will also make working on the SMG a breeze in the future.

By all means, if anyone has done this before, or if anyone has suggestions/recommendations, please feel free to post them. I like the idea of this being community derived and community developed.

I even thought about relocating it to the trunk to keep things very cool and out of the heat, but I am not sure how that would impact the functionality if the lines were extended that far. I think the drug-bin might just be the perfect area. Would be great to have an air duct feed air to this spot for extra-measure and just have it vent out of the fender vents, but I don't think that would be at all necessary.

Old Wed, Aug-09-2017, 06:57:28 PM   #10
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Look forward to see where this goes!

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote