BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 06:40:04 PM   #1
HoonCrepe

In the garage:

United States

Default Potential Radiator Enhancements

Hello all,

I have a 1999 e36 M3. The previous owner performed various cooling upgrades which included replacing the stock radiator with an aftermarket aluminum radiator. I have had several issues with this radiator. When I bought the car the previous owner had also taken the fan off as well. I sit in traffic sometimes and I didn't want the car to overheat so I installed a new fan. I had to pull the fan shroud out a little bit to help fit the fan and so I had to disconnect the hoses on the top of the radiator to create more room to get a wrench in there as well.

I discovered as I was assembling the hoses back on the radiator that the outlet to the engine and the outlet to the overflow tank are so close together that I cannot fit both hoses on with hose clamps. The hose clamp for the outlet to the engine is essentially sitting on the flange that is was supposed to sit in front of if that makes sense. This is because there is not enough room between the 2 outlets for both hoses and both hose clamps.

Eventually I developed a small leak on the outlet hose to the coolant overflow tank because I probably punctured it with a screw driver trying to push the hose camp all the way on.

A month ago it developed a full on blow out on the highway. Car overheated slightly but only for like 10 seconds as I got it off the road. I had it towed home and it has been sitting in my garage. I am now in a position to work on it again.

I was wondering if anybody else had any problems similar to this. I seem to be the only one. My potential solution is to pull the radiator completely and have someone professionally weld an AN fitting to the outlet to the overflow tank. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also the coolant dumped all over my alternator and now the battery wont charge so I have to replace that as well. Although the alternator may have been on its way out anyway. Does anybody here rebuild theirs? or should I just purchase a new one?

Let me know if you need any clarification on what I am trying to describe.

Any help or opinion is appreciated.
Jump to top HoonCrepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 06:45:09 PM   #2
TheJDub-E36

United States

Default Re: Potential Radiator Enhancements

I have the same issue with the fitment of the hoses (Mishimoto rad) but its just a very tight fit, if it was me I would redo it all.
Jump to top TheJDub-E36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 06:48:35 PM   #3
Braymond141

United States

What radiator is it you’re talking about? Anything in the Mishimoto price/style range really isn’t worth your time. The best choices are full stock (alternate use Z3M S54 Rad + Stewart pump) or Zionsville (Fatboy is the most cost effective solution IMO and most elegant) + Stewart.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 06:57:42 PM   #4
HoonCrepe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDub-E36 View Post
I have the same issue with the fitment of the hoses (Mishimoto rad) but its just a very tight fit, if it was me I would redo it all.
When you say redo it all what do you mean? DO you mean new radiator and hoses? I was thinking about pulling the radiator and putting all the hoses on the radiator side first before re installing it so I can do it at my kitchen table and get better angles on it.
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 06:59:14 PM   #5
HoonCrepe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
What radiator is it youíre talking about? Anything in the Mishimoto price/style range really isnít worth your time. The best choices are full stock (alternate use Z3M S54 Rad + Stewart pump) or Zionsville (Fatboy is the most cost effective solution IMO and most elegant) + Stewart.
Good question, I will know when I pull it out I guess. I am guessing it is a mishimoto but unsure at this time. Do you have any links to resources for those to solutions? I definitely don't want to go back to the stock m3 parts based on what I have heard and read.
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 07:05:48 PM   #6
TheJDub-E36

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoonCrepe View Post
When you say redo it all what do you mean? DO you mean new radiator and hoses? I was thinking about pulling the radiator and putting all the hoses on the radiator side first before re installing it so I can do it at my kitchen table and get better angles on it.

Check the brand but most likely it's eBay and especially with the cooling system you don't want on reliable parts so by redo I mean new.

If it is a Mishimoto you're probably ok to reuse it but you'll want to check all the other corresponding parts that are part of the coolant system while you have it out.

That's how close mine are, if you can't do it in the car I don't think having it out of the car will make it much easier and I definitely wouldn't spend the money like Braymond141 said on an fittings.

Last edited by TheJDub-E36; Thu, Aug-03-2017 at 07:12:30 PM.
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 07:13:21 PM   #7
HoonCrepe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Check the brand but most likely it's eBay and especially with the cooling system you don't want on reliable parts so by redo I mean new.

If it is a Mishimoto you're probably ok to reuse it but you'll want to check all the other corresponding parts that are part of the coolant system while you have it out.
Okay cool thank you for the quick reply. It seems to me like I have mishimoto hoses on it except the coolant overflow line. It looks like the blue ones I can get on amazon. What other parts would you inspect? Thermostat? Water pump? Sorry if these are noob questions. I am trying to take the best care I possibly can and I am new to wrenching.

That picture quality though! How did you get your hoses on? That's exactly how mine look except the lower hose clamp is essentially sitting on that lump on the outlet from the radiator so offset to the right from yours.
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 07:17:04 PM   #8
TheJDub-E36

United States

Quote:
Okay cool thank you for the quick reply. It seems to me like I have mishimoto hoses on it except the coolant overflow line. It looks like the blue ones I can get on amazon. What other parts would you inspect? Thermostat? Water pump? Sorry if these are noob questions. I am trying to take the best care I possibly can and I am new to wrenching.

I would get the stock overflow hose, you probably have a silicone one now that's a lot thicker than the stock one and that's probably some of your problem.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/17111723521/

Definitely check water pump and thermostat is good to replace while you're in there but stay OEM, I just went through a nightmare of lower temp thermostats not fitting properly and causing leaks.

The Stewart water pump is the popular choice around here, it's well worth the extra money.
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 07:20:04 PM   #9
HoonCrepe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I would get the stock overflow hose, you probably have a silicone one now that's a lot thicker than the stock one and that's probably some of your problem.

Definitely check water pump and thermostat is good to replace while you're in there but stay OEM, I just went through a nightmare of lower temp thermostats not fitting properly and causing leaks.

The Stewart water pump is the popular choice around here, it's well worth the extra money.
Okay so stock overflow hose. I have a replacement one already that I bought off amazon because next day shipping when I was itching to fix it. Maybe I should go to bmw to get the stock one though. A stewart water pump. Stock thermostsat. Anything else?
Old Thu, Aug-03-2017, 07:20:52 PM   #10
TheJDub-E36

United States

Quote:
That picture quality though! How did you get your hoses on? That's exactly how mine look except the lower hose clamp is essentially sitting on that lump on the outlet from the radiator so offset to the right from yours.

I had to get both hoses fully seated to get the hose clamps past the flared part of the fittings